Why become a member? ×

For Jaco fans

Thump

I have never been a huge fan of Jaco myself , i always assumed it was all just weird jazz widdly stuff. Then i stumbled across a video on youtube where he is discussing his gear , his inspirations , his techniques etc.

Very interesting and i have a new appreciation of his abilities. Apologies if it has been posted before  

• Like 3

This VHS video was sold decades ago (ancient, pre-internetic). I suppose it was one of the most copied educational videos of that time. I think there was a score included, or sometimes a faint copy of it. Jaco plays Jerry's bass, but which brand it is, that I have forgotten.

• Like 1

I had that video as a teenager, probably still around somewhere. I had the same disappointment @Hellzero not just with the fretted bass. As stunning as his playing still was in parts of this I don’t think it caught him at his best. 

• Like 2

Jaco wasn't in a good place mentally when this video was put together and I think Jerry and friends did it to highlight his talent. It's a shame it's not a full on structured tutorial 'method' style book/video though but given the circumstances at least we have this to look back on. Two years later he was dead, a really sad story.

Anyway, if you haven't seen it, a really good documentary with some great interviews with Zawinul and others who played or knew Jaco is;

Jaco Pastorius "The Lost Tapes Documentary" (on youtube).

• Like 7

11 hours ago, itu said:

This VHS video was sold decades ago (ancient, pre-internetic). I suppose it was one of the most copied educational videos of that time. I think there was a score included, or sometimes a faint copy of it. Jaco plays Jerry's bass, but which brand it is, that I have forgotten.

He also put a P neck on the bass of doom as I recall, to slow him down or something

• Like 2

I think the massive elephant in the room with this video is the big zit on Jerry's forehead. Really distracting. Bit of witch hazel on there and it'll pop out in no time mate.

btw Scott Devine and the gang did a video on the "hidden" (not really) riff from the video intro recently: https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2023/07/09/scott-devine-breaking-down-jaco-pastoriuss-modern-electric-bass-opening-bass-riff/

• Like 1

On 24/07/2023 at 17:15, toneknob said:

I think the massive elephant in the room with this video is the big zit on Jerry's forehead. Really distracting. 

Hadn't noticed until you mentioned it , now its all i can see when he is on camera 

On 23/07/2023 at 22:48, Thump said:

I have never been a huge fan of Jaco myself , i always assumed it was all just weird jazz widdly stuff. Then i stumbled across a video on youtube where he is discussing his gear , his inspirations , his techniques etc.

Very interesting and i have a new appreciation of his abilities. Apologies if it has been posted before  

Cool video and sound. Watched from start till the end. A bit sad he didn't used a frettless bass.

Edited by nilorius
  • Like 1

If memory serves me correct I believe Jaco was in part sleeping rough in NYC around the time of this production.

Heart rending really. Never is there a truer maxim, 'When you laugh the whole world laughs with you, when you cry you cry alone'.

It's all about context: everything always is. In retrospect my guess is a lot of young players won't get what the fuss was about but this footage features a genius talent already set on an irretrievable tragic course.  He was on the cusp of being snuffed out and in part he craved it for some blessed relief from his demons.

For me he was an absolute beast on the instrument. A monster player and a cool cat. The best. 

• Like 3