Why become a member? ×

Epi Thunderbird Bass

BassAdder60

As long as you go for either the Classic IV Pro (getting harder to find) or the Vintage Pro (now renamed the 60's bass), IMHO either one will wipe the floor with a Jazz all day long!

• Like 1

It entirely depends upon which model.  The Classic Pro iV and Vintage Pro (now called the 60s bass) are fabulous.  I had a Gibson T Bird, sold it, missed it, bought a Classic Pro and it sounds and feels the same but is better finished than the Gibson was.  I think the tuners might be a little clunkier but they are fine as is.  If weight is an issue it pays to shop around as they can vary - my Classic Pro is exceptionally light at 8lbs.  

They don't feel like Jazz bases when you wear them, the neck seems very long and the first fret seems a long way away, but once you get used to them they are fab.  Look cool as flip, even on a thick waisted ugly old guy like me :D  3 point bridge on the Classic Pro is a problem if you don't like them but there are drop in replacemets.  I got used to them.  But other than that, both have set neck and Gibson pickups.

The big trip wire on these is getting a hard case that fits.  These two models have extra large headstocks (yet no neck dive?!) so early Epiphone T Bird cases don't fit.

Edit - Snap!

Another edit.

Edited by Paul S
  • Like 1

I bought an Epiphone Blackbird as a half-joke/challenge because Cash Converters couldn't shift it and I got it cheap.

This model has no volume or tone controls,  just an on/off switch.

Long story short, now it's restrung and fettled, it's just the thing for heavy rock,  even with fingers rather than a plectrum. 

Downsides?

Bloody capo won't fit the skinny neck (it's in D standard)

Cases and bags are a pain

I had to "engineer" a strap button solution to stop the neck dive

Gibson 3-point bridges are wildly idiosyncratic. But can be made to work. 

Blimey, that’s a broad comparison 

I played an Arctic white Korean TB for some years, in a UFO/Michael Schenker tribute band. It was fantastic, loved it, but I’m a finger player mostly. 

Currently I have a Tokai TB, which, admittedly I’ve done a lot of work in (the thread is in the build threads), and it’s absolutely fantastic. For everything.

Epiphone Thunderbird with a pick? Absolutely yes. In my opinion.

I'm going to add my slightly contrary input on this, I played my friends Epiphone Thunderbird for a gig, it was the cheapest version, was pretty comfortable to play, on the large side but comfy to play, sounded amazing, it had this lovely dark growl to it.

Anyway I brought a Vintage pro from either Andertons or Gear4music(can't remember which) and it looked lovely but after a couple days once the new bass glow had worn off I wasn't really wowed by it, the tone was brighter than the cheaper Epiphone, was lacking that dark low mid growl that the cheaper Epiphone had, ended up returning it.

There are lots of different Thunderbirds even in just the Epiphone range, with different constructions, pickups and electronics. Whether any of them are for you will depend on what you want.

There's even a version that is essentially a Fender P-J Bass but with the non-reverse Thunderbird body shape.

Edited by BigRedX

Vintage Pro or Classic Pro, both get the job done, but the Vintage is special...the price is ridiculously low.

By the way, don't let anyone tell you the current Gibson T-birds are better.

Other than that, a good gig bag is readily available if you don't want a hardshell case. I've been using mine for seven or eight years.

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, jd56hawk said:

For anyone concerned with the ergonomics of the Thunderbird, Epiphone people say the Embassy basses sound identical.

Not my cup of tea, but...

PhotoCollage_1689633062385.jpg

I think it applies to the Embassy Pro which is no longer made ?? 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, pst62 said:

As long as you go for either the Classic IV Pro (getting harder to find) or the Vintage Pro (now renamed the 60's bass), IMHO either one will wipe the floor with a Jazz all day long!

Literally, if you add a mop head to the headstock, as every one I've tried had terrible neck dive. ;)

14 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

I think it applies to the Embassy Pro which is no longer made ?? 

This one has ProBucker 760 humbucking pickups, so I believe the sound is the Thunderbird sound.

Edited by jd56hawk