Why become a member? ×

The Custom Distortion Pedal of Your Dreams?

Baloney Balderdash

So what would the ultimate custom distortion pedal of your wildest dreams be?

Mine would be a standard Rat, but with a Vintage/Turbo mode switch, and a post gain stage adjustable Bass boost/cut control, a standard Metal Zone, but with a 3 way Mod switch, the 3 modes respectively being: original stock, the Keeley mod, and the simple no soldering, cut a couple of components out of the circuit, Simple Dog mod, and then a Clean/Dry section with a 1 band semi parametric EQ (that is a wide range sweepable frequency control and a boost/cut control) and an adjustable LPF, all blendable in parallel with a separate volume control for each of the 3 sections, and just a single on/bypass footswitch. *)

Edit!!!:

*)

Oh, I forgot :

I came up with this dream custom pedal, because what I use currently as my high gain distortion setup, is a Boss LS-2, with a Mosky Black Rat, RAT clone, in Turbo RAT mode in one of the effect loops, and then blended in parallel with a Joyo Orange Juice, low gain overdrive, stacked into a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, in the other effects loop.

But before all that as part of my high gain distortion setup as well, is a TC Electronic Sub'N'Up Mini with a customized 1 octave up Toneprint, stacked into the Boss LS-2, so I was thinking that my dream custom distortion pedal should have some kind of adjustable 1 octave up effect build in as well, first thing after the input of the pedal, fed into the RAT and Metal Zone circuit, but probably not affecting the clean tone, and I was thinking perhaps an analog octave up effect might be able to do the trick.  

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

I had a local guy build me a custom pedal and i love it so much i would marry it.

I wanted a two channel, one i could put some overdrive in and the other full on distortion.

I asked him to put two of his pedlas into one box. The SunDrive and the Sledge Hammer. 

I call it the sunhammer!

https://www.moosetwentythree.com/

20230201_162607.thumb.jpg.93537696a4c1f30f35869f49f8a6a02b.jpg

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

So what would the ultimate distortion pedal of you wildest dreams be?

Mine would be a standard Rat, but with a Vintage/Turbo mode switch, and a post gain stage adjustable Bass boost/cut control, a standard Metal Zone, but with a 3 way Mod switch, the 3 mode respectively being original stock, the Keeley mod, and the simple no soldering cut couple of components out of the circuit, Simple Dog mod, and a Clean/Dry section with a 1 band semi parametric EQ (that is a wide range frequency control and a boost/cut control) and an adjustable LPF, all blendable in parallel with a separate volume control for each of the 3 sections, and just a single on/bypass footswitch. 

Yes but could you be a bit more specific?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

Yes but could you be a bit more specific?

What do you mean?

I think my question is pretty clear, if you could have a custom distortion pedal made that would fit you exact preferences for bass distortion what would it be?

30 minutes ago, lidl e said:

I had a local guy build me a custom pedal and i love it so much i would marry it.

I wanted a two channel, one i could put some overdrive in and the other full on distortion.

I asked him to put two of his pedlas into one box. The SunDrive and the Sledge Hammer. 

I call it the sunhammer!

I assume the footswitches are on/off for the two drive sections respectively and then a master on/bypass footswitch?

Would the two channels be connected in series or parallel, and in case of the former which order then?

15 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

What do you mean?

I think my question is pretty clear, if you could have a custom distortion pedal made that would fit you exact preferences for bass distortion what would it be?

I assume the footswitches are on/off for the two drive sections respectively and then a master on/bypass footswitch?

Would the two channels be connected in series or parallel, and in case of the former which order then?

The one all the way to the right is a 20db boost. 

Connected in series right to left, so the boost affects the second part as well. 

Sundrive into sledge hammer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

What do you mean?

I was actually joking, or thought I was - that's one very specific set of specifications!

Edited by JapanAxe
  • Like 2

Since getting the Valco KGB pedal I've realised how important a phase switch (for the clean blend) and an impedance switch can be for crafting different sounds. As one reviewer said, "With very little linearity, the Ω knob can affect attack, bloom, intensity, and decay in ways that are beautifully, chaotically unpredictable."

https://valcofx.com/pages/valco-kgb-fuzz

• Like 2

I'd want Steinberg's Quadrafuzz VST in a pedal format. There are 4 bands, and on each band you can choose from 4 different saturation types, gain, attack time, and clean blend, then you can set where the bands crossover... very useful for bass distortion IMO

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

I'd want Steinberg's Quadrafuzz VST in a pedal format. There are 4 bands, and on each band you can choose from 4 different saturation types, gain, attack time, and clean blend, then you can set where the bands crossover... very useful for bass distortion IMO

Does sound extremely useable.

I suppose you might be able to get something somewhat similar from the Source Audio Ultrawave Bass Distortion with the right settings though.

Otherwise sounds like a job for TC Electronic, seems like it would fit right into their Toneprint concept, and they haven't done a stand alone digitally based drive pedal yet.

19 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Does sound extremely useable.

I suppose you might be able to get something somewhat similar from the Source Audio Ultrawave Bass Distortion with the right settings though.

Otherwise sounds like a job for TC Electronic, seems like it would fit right into their Toneprint concept, and they haven't done a stand alone digitally based drive pedal yet.

I just bought a plethora x3 specifically because it was bring your own distortion.

• Like 1

An EAE Halberd with whatever the magic is that the EAE Model FeT does to make drives sound so silky smooth. Possibly a blend option similar to the Lusithand GnP too would help although not really necessary.

The Model FeT is much better suited to the end of the chain though so perhaps they're perfect as they are! 😂

• Like 1

On 11/07/2023 at 16:29, cheddatom said:

This is a design I’ve had in my head for a while, I didn’t know it existed even in VST form. The ability to treat each band uniquely (either 4 or 6 band) in terms of distortion level, type and overall volume would surely enable almost everyone to find the dirt tone they’re looking for.

1 hour ago, Lord Summerisle said:

This is a design I’ve had in my head for a while, I didn’t know it existed even in VST form. The ability to treat each band uniquely (either 4 or 6 band) in terms of distortion level, type and overall volume would surely enable almost everyone to find the dirt tone they’re looking for.

I was playing with something like that on the MOD Dwarf yesterday. Just using the same drive but the plan was to experiment with different drives and compression, think you could do something pretty cool with it.

Screenshot2023-07-13at23_24_34.thumb.png.e20c4969f343e06ea26b7548ebef4069.png

• Like 1

On 11/07/2023 at 12:40, lidl e said:

I call it the sunhammer!

Their sledgehammer looks pretty cool

• Like 1

On 11/07/2023 at 12:40, lidl e said:

I call it the sunhammer!

Was always keen to try their Cosmic Trigger pedal, the demos sounded great. Haven't explored their other pedals until now but they all sound excellent.