Why become a member? ×

Tuner pedals

nilorius

Just retired my old TU-2 that's been with me for years. It's still as good as new, but I find the TU-3 locks on to the note much faster - especially the B. I've personally never found it jumpy as some have mentioned. My lass bought me a TU-3w, which stands up in the corner of my desk, always-on, for when I'm practicing. She asked me what I'd like for my birthday, and stipulated that it should be something that I wanted but was probably stupid and I had no way of justifying spending my own money on. First thing that came to mind was the recently released Waza tuner.

I also have a little board with a Korg PitchBlack on it. It was really cheap in an Amazon sale so I bought one and proceeded to not use it, but then last year when I had a massive gear clearance I decided to just build a board with some of the pedals I wasn't sure whether to keep or sell, and that was the tuner I had. It's alright.. it works.

I like the TC UniTune clip-on that I keep in my toolbox for when I'm restringing and just need a quick check to get things roughly right. I once tried it backstage at a gig and it was hopeless - it was picking up every vibration from the band playing before us and had no idea which note I was playing.

31 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Yeah, i see it. So, what do You think about the price - is it wourth that ?

I bought mine ages ago (it's bomb proof).  The functionality is way OTT for me, and there are now much lighter versions.  Also your tuning is only as good as the rest of the band (weak link theory).  I think it will last longer than me.  My guitarist uses the boss pedal 😁

1 minute ago, Piers_Williamson said:

I bought mine ages ago (it's bomb proof).  The functionality is way OTT for me, and there are now much lighter versions.  Also your tuning is only as good as the rest of the band (weak link theory).  I think it will last longer than me.  My guitarist uses the boss pedal 😁

Thanks, good luck to You - bouth !😁

I do have a somewhat involved cautionary tale about different forms of tuning...

Our keyboards player (an aged pop star who didn't do tech) had a pretty ancient keyboards set up where the backup (motherboard...internal) battery finally gave up the ghost.  He had a panic and asked the rest of the band to help.  We looked it up on the internet and found the (very involved) replacement routine on a You Tube demo, which we proceeded to follow, half an hour before a gig (big mistake!).  The routine involved opening the keyboard and taking at least one very substantial motherboard off to find the one CR32 buried at the bottom of the last motherboard.  OK so far.  We replaced everything and turned the keyboard on (five minutes before gig) to discover that the pitch of the keyboard had returned to factory settings : (concert (??) pitch).  Basically this required all the band to de-tune about a tone, about 30 seconds before said gig.  The Keyboards player then re-discovered the tuning option on his keyboard to return to normal (10 seconds before gig).  Luckily we all had our own tuner pedals to return to where we started.

• Like 1

No tuna pedal as such, but have a few fx pedals that have a tuner in there somewhere..

I've got an old Seiko st747 chromatic tuner with a swingy needle thing that still works, oh and some cheapo headstock tuner that a friend got with a ukulele and didn't want it! 

1 minute ago, Waddo Soqable said:

No tuna pedal as such, but have a few fx pedals that have a tuner in there somewhere..

I've got an old Seiko st747 chromatic tuner with a swingy needle thing that still works, oh and some cheapo headstock tuner that a friend got with a ukulele and didn't want it! 

Fx pedals with, built in, hidden Rolex tuner?

I used to use a Boss TU-2, but after an embarrassing incident when I didn't spot the little dot on the display so tuned the E string down to D# instead of D, I replaced it with an Ashdown BassOmeter which has a larger display (though even that was a struggle to read clearly in daylight at a festival). Also got a couple of clip-ons (a Joyo and a freebie from Reverb) as backups, but only really ever use them at home.

2 minutes ago, steve-bbb said:

no pedal but i do have a korg pitchblack in my rack box which am quite pleased with - will prob buy the pedal version if i need one for small gigs

Yeah, do it !!! Pitchblack rules the Earth.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NHM said:

I love my Fender tuner 'cos (a) it works and (b) it says 'Fender' on it. (or perhaps the other way round)

image.thumb.png.f5c0d2fc5eb5407e267adf79bf6e7dae.png

At one point I had the previous version of this (PT-10, maybe?) which didn’t have the note display in the middle. Instead it has a row of lights across the middle that would light up to show the note you were tuning to. Very difficult to use on stage.

I have a couple of Boss TU-3s but and they’re great.

Had a TC PolyTune a few years ago but I got rid of it because the switch got really noisy.