Why become a member? ×

ABC Box for More Power

Bloc Riff Nut

20230202_201736Barefaced.thumb.jpg.3988b81b54c0823f0989f915b5af4acc.jpg Hello Bass Chat,

I've been using this rig for rehearsal but it's not quite enough volume gigs. 

I was thinking of using 2 amps and an ABC with the hope of getting more volume.  That would be 2 Ashdown Little Stubby's(30watt valve). One into each 2x10 cab via the ABC box. 

Ashdown said this is possible but I just wanted to ask if any of you have experience with 2 amps via the ABC.

CHEERS

PHIL

I am not surprised that 30 watts isn't loud enough. If you have to have a valve amp then 100 watts is the lowest you want (there is one in the for sale section), or a 500 watt SS or D class.

You can run 2 rigs by daisy chaining the amps via the send and return. That gives you a pre/power amp from the first rig and the second just the power amp. I did this with 2 TH500's. You'll have to check if you used different amps.

• Like 1

It needs to be practical and to achieve your aim of being loud enough. Firstly you'll get an extra 3db from the extra power but you'll have to make sure the impedance matches your amps with a valve drive stage. That's an audible increase in volume but not dramatic. A second amp is quite an expensive way of doing this but has the advantage that you will keep the same tone, just louder. It may still not be enough, touch and go I would say.

You may not need a splitter though. You could bypass the pre amp in the second amp and go straight in to the fx return. You might just be able to take the fx drive from amp one to do this but often it disconnects the pre amp from the amp so you'd need a splitter lead there. Ask Ashdown or check the manual. The second method would be to drive amp two with the DI out from amp one, you'd probably need to go through the pre amp in amp two but again the manual should tell you what level the DI out is. The advantage over an ABY pedal is that both amps will be controlled by the same tone controls and you wouldn't need to adjust them both each time.

A thing to remember is that if you want to be twice as loud you'll have to increase power by a factor of ten. To buy a pair of 2x10s and then strangle them with a low power tube amp will simply not get you anywhere.  You have to balance the capabilities/needs of your speaker cabinets with the power you give them. I haven't used 30W amps since the Sixties!

That said I do use a full tube pre-amp to drive my power amp. :)

Edited by BassmanPaul
  • Like 3

If you are already using 2 Two10 cabs and the idea is to just power each with it's own amp you are still using the same amount of cones.

Those 2 cabs are capable of mad volume - but you need to feed it with more than a 30W amp.

That's the bit to change to something more powerful.

If I was you I'd be high tailing it back to the dealer to trade the mint Stubby back for a CTM-200R.

They cost a bit more than double the 30w but they sold you a pup so they should look after you.

If they can't get you one toute suite see if they'll lend you something with some poke to do gigs in the meantime.

On 11/07/2023 at 05:32, Downunderwonder said:

To be clear, the most you would get from the extra 30w amp, ie twin amps one on each cab, is a measly 3dB.

+1. Doubling the power isn't worth carrying the second amp around. At the very least you want to double the voltage swing capability, which translates to four times the power.

Even 100w isn't a guarantee of getting to where you have some dynamic headroom at gig level. Try before you buy.

When I subbed 200w for 50w it was just enough to keep some back for a little thump every now and again. With the 50 I was pushing it into distortion just to be heard and nothing else going on.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, chris_b said:

I live in Holland, which is a shame because that's a great price.

I am over in England for the hols but thats up north(Cumbria).

16 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Even 100w isn't a guarantee of getting to where you have some dynamic headroom at gig level. Try before you buy.

When I subbed 200w for 50w it was just enough to keep some back for a little thump every now and again. With the 50 I was pushing it into distortion just to be heard and nothing else going on.

I regularly use a TraceElliot TwinValve which is 100 or 115W valve amp into 2x12 Trace cabs and its always got plenty of headroom for my liking so I'm confident the CTM100 will be enough through the Barefaced 4x10(2x 210).

Before I sprung for a valve head, I borrowed one off a very kind friend for a practice session, hand-built 100w, through my Barefaced Four10 at the practice, I couldn't even hear it at full beans, swapped back to my Orange Terror 500 after 3 songs. Admittedly we played silly loud at that time, so I went for a Matamp GT200 after that experience, no problem hearing that, indeed Kev (r.i.p) was even moved to say, "Ffs turn that thing down" at one session when i decided to give him some of his own medicine.

Loud is different things to different people.

Edited by doomed