Why become a member? ×

Wasnt there another UK bass forum before basschat?

lidl e

Bassworld (2002-2007), then Basstalk (2007), then Basschat (2007-current).

Bassworld was originally started by a chap named Gerard and I came to help him run it in 2004ish. It started to fall apart as Gerard disappeared for a long time (he had a good reason which I only found out about recently) so we needed to jump ship.

Kiwi (a long term member of BW) said he'd help so we took the database and started Basstalk. Basstalk had to be shut down and we started from scratch with Basschat with an empty database.

We wanted to make a clean break as Gerard wasn't happy with the fact we took the database and then the FBI shut it down because it was on a managed server in the US which was taken offline without any information. It also let us explore using different software, which had it's main major upgrade to the system we use now with the marketplace etc in about 2017 I think.

I think that's roughly it, anyway. Tbh when we did Bassworld I don't think there was a dedicated UK based bass guitar form. I remember using some 'UK bassist' threads on Talkbass (who banned me for suggesting we start a UK forum, but later unbanned me). Guitar forums may have had bass guitar sub sections, but honestly as the costs were basically zero I don't think we really checked.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, ped said:

Bassworld, then Basstalk, then Basschat.

Bassworld was originally started by a chap named Gerard and I came to help him run it in 2004ish. It started to fall apart as Gerard disappeared for a long time (he had a good reason which I only found out about recently) so we needed to jump ship.

Kiwi (a long term member of BW) said he'd help so we took the database and started Basstalk. Basstalk had to be shut down and we started from scratch with Basschat with an empty database.

We wanted to make a clean break as Gerard wasn't happy with the fact we took the database and then the FBI shut it down because it was on a managed server in the US which was taken offline without any information. It also let us explore using different software, which had it's main major upgrade to the system we use now with the marketplace etc in about 2012 I think.

I think that's roughly it, anyway. Tbh when we did Bassworld I don't think there was a dedicated UK based bass guitar form. I remember using some 'UK bassist' threads on Talkbass (who banned me for suggesting we start a UK forum, but later unbanned me). Guitar forums may have had bass guitar sub sections, but honestly as the costs were basically zero I don't think we really checked.

Cheers, ped.

Im sure i was a member of all of them back then.

Chatting to an old forum buddy of mine and we were trying to remember 

I have a history with the forums from the early 2000s. I was a bit of a character. Ive been looking up my old posts from 2001 on TB. Mad place.

I posted on the harmony central forums a lot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lidl e said:

Cheers, ped.

Im sure i was a member of all of them back then.

Chatting to an old forum buddy of mine and we were trying to remember 

I have a history with the forums from the early 2000s. I was a bit of a character. Ive been looking up my old posts from 2001 on TB. Mad place.

I posted on the harmony central forums a lot.

Yeah I used to read reviews on Harmony Central. You're right, going back and reading old posts is pretty cringeworthy. I was super thirsty back in the 2010s

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, franzbassist said:

And then there was "The Bottom Line" mailing list!

And the dudepit. That was a big one

Some fella there got together a group order for kahler bass whammy clones and i got one.

It was killer!

Edited by lidl e
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, franzbassist said:

Oh yes, Steve "Dude" Barr.  He was a character.

There's a name I haven't thought about in a few years.

Wasn't there an issue with him trying to get a custom bass made (Lakland, I think) and making off with the customer deposits?

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

Wasn't there an issue with him trying to get a custom bass made (Lakland, I think) and making off with the customer deposits?

I think there was an issue with the second run of "Dudepit" Laklands, but no idea if this was it!

13 minutes ago, franzbassist said:

I think there was an issue with the second run of "Dudepit" Laklands, but no idea if this was it!

I had a brief exchange with Steve Barr many years ago; he was (at one point) planning to put out a coffee table book detailing all these weird and wonderful basses he'd bought and sold over the years.  This must have been 15+ years ago.  There does seem to be recurring stories across several bass-related websites about substance abuse and the taking of deposits for Lakland DPLE basses.

He was active on alt.guitar.bass and alt.bass - going to newsgroups for bass stuff back then seems so quaint now - and he is a member here, although only one post: 

Incidentally, all the old newgroup stuff is now archived through Google Groups.  I was just taking a look and don't have any doubt that my last contribution was around 2006.  Some of the names on there bring back memories.  Aah, Peter Duncan.  What an asshat he was.