Why become a member? ×

A question for bassist who smoke cigarettes and cigars!

nilorius

A question for bassists who smoke cigarettes and cigars! Do You smoke also simultaneoulsy when playing bass, different situations would be interesting, too. About me - I droped smoking about mounth ago, but when i did it, 10 cigares in day - i never did it, while playing bass.

I've smoked when playing bass before - back when smoking indoors wasn't a problem.

Only downside was finishing a smoke mid-song and having to dispose of the dog-end whilst your hands were occupied...

...and finding a good point in the song to pass the mood stick to the guitarist ;)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ahpook said:

Yes, but it's finding a safe spot to aim for 😊

And don't call me....

He will absolutelly call again - keep yealling that he is not Your friend and then.......he will call again !🤣

• Haha 1

I used to smoke but gave up about 20 years ago, before I became a bassist. As a guitarist, I used to try and smoke while playing (because it looked cool and made me a better player, of course) but I could never get past the smoke going up my nose and into my eyes. So I tried sticking the filter onto the end of one of the strings at the tuners. But I used to forget it was there and it would just burn down and go out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Franticsmurf said:

I used to smoke but gave up about 20 years ago, before I became a bassist. As a guitarist, I used to try and smoke while playing (because it looked cool and made me a better player, of course) but I could never get past the smoke going up my nose and into my eyes. So I tried sticking the filter onto the end of one of the strings at the tuners. But I used to forget it was there and it would just burn down and go out.

Nice story, 20th century fox could be interested.😁

• Like 1

I quit smoking in 1999 but embarrassingly in Sixth Form, we used to practice smoking and playing! We thought we were cool but it looked ridiculous. Keith Richards might look effortless doing it but I forever found all the smoke would go in my face. Sometimes I would bite the tip and stick it in the tuning peg of my P-bass. I can see why I don't miss it! 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

Sometimes I would bite the tip and stick it in the tuning peg of my P-bass.

I looked at a few precisions that had burns in the headstock, one was a 68 but I can’t find the pic , it was similar to this but not so many 

IMG_0704.jpeg

• Like 2

I used to smoke and play at the same time back when I smoked a few decades ago, but yes, the smoke would get to the point of stinging your eyes, and as a guitarist at the time it would always need disposing of at the wrong times, so I tried to avoid it as much as possible!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I looked at a few precisions that had burns in the headstock, one was a 68 but I can’t find the pic , it was similar to this but not so many 

IMG_0704.jpeg

That is called "real man road warn"! 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 9 months later...
On 03/07/2023 at 08:45, Waddo Soqable said:

I was thinking more... 

IMG_20230703_084418.jpg

Until recently I smoked a pipe, and at an open air gig last May was playing and puffing.  Helped me concentrate while playing My Sharona.

I had to quit alcohol - not that I was ever a heavy drunker - when a fairly serious liver problem was discovered during a medical last year. Decided to go the whole hog and quit the pipe too.  I now drink a lot of Fanta zero and suck a lot of sugar free mints!

Edited by Bassfinger

1 hour ago, Bassfinger said:

and suck a lot of sugar free mints!

Careful, if you read the small print on sugar free confectionary it says "excessive consumption may lead to laxative effects" 

• Like 1