Why become a member? ×

Do you own a 4 string and 5 string P bass?

Dazed

I own two Gus G3 5-string basses. They are not quite identical. One has humbuckers and passive controls with an ebony fretboard and hipshot machine heads, while the other has single coils, active electronics a cocobolo fretboard and Gotoh machine heads. In all other respects they are as identical as it is possible for two instruments made from wood, carbon fibre and aluminium tubing. The pickup configurations and electronics mean than they don't necessarily sound the same, but by configuring them identically - actives turned off, passive tone on full treble and humbuckers in coil tap mode, for the three matching pickup combinations (bridge, neck, and both in parallel) they are virtually indistinguishable. For me the whole point of having two close to identical basses is that should I break a string or something on wrong at a gig, I can swap to the other one with the minimum of hassle.

I also use an Eastwood Hooky Bass in my other band. At the moment the "backup" for this bass is a Burns Barracuda, which is a very different instrument in feel and sound. The plan is to sell the Burns and buy another Eastwood for the reasons stated above.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I should have been clearer in the original post. 

I’m specifically looking at precisions that are standard copies, so the Dingwall (although I still kick myself for not buying a particular one some time ago before the prices shot up)  wouldn’t qualify or other brands that have spilt coils but are a deviation on the original shape. 

What I’m trying to find out is if the body dimensions are the same on a 5 string as a 4 string Precision. 

Edited by Dazed

Sandberg 'P' - Ash body, maple board, Passive Lollar pup

Sandberg 'P' - Alder body, Pau Ferro, Active S'berg pup

Bolin NS - Alder/maple, ebony, 2 mag 

Bolin NS - Alder/maple, ebony, 2 mag + piezo

Warwick Streamer - PP pups, 7 laminate neck, ebony board

Warwick Streamer - PJ pups, 3 piece neck, wenge board

edit

Ah, no opportunity to compare 4 and 5 of any P bass derivative!  

Edited by warwickhunt
  • Like 1

• Dazed changed the title to Do you own a 4 string and 5 string P bass?

I have been looking online at Fender and couldn’t see the dimension listed. 

I did find an old post on a forum stating the dimensions and possibly CAD or some other technical drawings were on a Fender site but I couldn’t locate them. 

Nothing at all on Fenders website regarding body dimensions. 

A couple of phone calls later  to Wunjo and Regent Sounds confirmed they are identical except for the neck pocket. 

thanks all

6 minutes ago, Dazed said:

Nothing at all on Fenders website regarding body dimensions. 

A couple of phone calls later  to Wunjo and Regent Sounds confirmed they are identical except for the neck pocket. 

thanks all

If looking from Fender pictures, correct - different neck pocket and whole neck.