Why become a member? ×

Gretsch Junior Jet v Sire U5

flea64

Hi

Will be purchasing a short scale this week and I've narrowed it down to the junior jet v sure U5 The sire will be £60 more to purchase and the reviews on both look superb.

As I won't be able to try these prior to purchase would appreciate thoughts etc on which one to go for

Edited by flea64

• flea64 changed the title to Gretsch Junior Jet v Sire U5

The Gretsch is a great bass.

Bought one for my ex……wanted to hate it……. ended up hating her instead…… kept the bass…… loved it……. needed some money……. sold the bass…… still hate the ex……. the bass is highly recommended.

• Haha 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm looking at the Junior Jet as an option. I've got an Ibanez Mezzo (medium scale) I might trade-in/sell, but I'm interested to know how the neck on the JJ compares with an Ibanez SR series - which of course are famously slim/fast. Can anyone offer any experience of the two? Is the shorter reach of the JJ neck traded for a slightly wider neck?

On 25/06/2023 at 18:46, Newfoundfreedom said:

I can't comment on the Sire, but I had a Junior Jet. It was extremely well finished and sounded absolutely monstrous. Superb for the price point. 

Having tried one out I agree with this ☝️ entirely but I did find it rather heavy for a short scale, that was the only reason I didn't buy one.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 1

On 05/01/2024 at 13:44, nicsim said:

I'm looking at the Junior Jet as an option. I've got an Ibanez Mezzo (medium scale) I might trade-in/sell, but I'm interested to know how the neck on the JJ compares with an Ibanez SR series - which of course are famously slim/fast. Can anyone offer any experience of the two? Is the shorter reach of the JJ neck traded for a slightly wider neck?

I haven't played the Gretsch but I have heard the neck on them are quite chunky

• Like 2

On 07/01/2024 at 16:49, Pea Turgh said:

Oh hang on, this thread is 7 months old 😂

I know - I picked it up instead of starting a new one - may be I should have 😄?    Thanks for replying re: neck size. It's always a consideration for me because I'm not blessed with long fingers - Ibbie SR's make life so much easier.
I like the idea of going to short-scale, but just wanted to see if anyone had comparative experience of the JJ  and an SR bass. 

16 hours ago, nicsim said:

I know - I picked it up instead of starting a new one - may be I should have 😄?    Thanks for replying re: neck size. It's always a consideration for me because I'm not blessed with long fingers - Ibbie SR's make life so much easier.
I like the idea of going to short-scale, but just wanted to see if anyone had comparative experience of the JJ  and an SR bass. 

Unless you need to buy a bargain bass because of your budget, so many better short-scale basses out there than the Junior Jet.

Other than that, one's a $300 bass, the other is a $900 bass.

Are they the only two available?

Edited by jd56hawk

On 15/01/2024 at 17:22, jd56hawk said:

Unless you need to buy a bargain bass because of your budget, so many better short-scale basses out there than the Junior Jet.

Other than that, one's a $300 bass, the other is a $900 bass.

Are they the only two available?

I definitely have a budget. I think its going to be a case of "trying for size" - ideally if I can find a store that has a couple of options in. Maybe a branch of PMT. 

• Like 1

Can't say I've played the Gretsch but I had the U5 for a while, and it was great. Probably like, third best bass I've ever owned. It's with a close friend now, so I know where it is.

One thing I'll say about em, they don't really sound like a short scale imo, if you're into that wooden thumpy thing a lot of em do.