Why become a member? ×

HELP-my bass action is really high and the truss rod won't turn

i have a hondo 2 bass with a trusd rod i don't recognise.  the neck is heavily bowed and practically unplayable. i can't turn it as one side of the truss rod nut is broken. i can turn it with mole grips but it is very very difficult and i have tightened it as far as it can go. but now only notes can be heard on the lowest frets and the notes higher up the fret board all play the same note

please inform me in what i can do to get this bass playable again.

thwnkyoy :) 

22 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Assuming the thread on the rod is ok.. If you can identify the thread then you can get, or make, another nut, in the latter case you may well need a thread tap of the right size, depends if you're OK with a bit of simple ish metalwork? 

im only young and don't really have the facilities to be making a new nut. the nut does screw off with a little effort and the thread was fine last i looked. can you recommend a place to get a new nut because the nut for this bass of no longer made. thankyou 

16 minutes ago, Cadenclarkson said:

it does

That’s good, I’m not an expert on these things ,but I think you need to find out what size and what thread it is to be able to get another nut , maybe try screwing on a few different bolts in a shop to find out if you don’t have any 

If the nut is off you should be able to get a regular hex nut of the same thread, tho I dont know for sure if they'd be metric or imperial thread (someone like @Bassassin would likely know)

You'd likely have to file the outside of the nut to get it in the gap, or if you're lucky it might go on with a small socket wrench from one of the tiny sets? 

You'd prob need a small washer or two as well. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Go to any luthier, it's a 2 minutes job to change the nut and put some graphite grease on the thread. Reliable, fast and easy.

That's a good plan of course, if there's a decent one anywhere nearby... They'd sort it easily no doubt, hopefully tho it'd be one that wouldn't make an expensive "mission" out of it  ;)

32 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

If the nut is off you should be able to get a regular hex nut of the same thread, tho I dont know for sure if they'd be metric or imperial thread (someone like @Bassassin would likely know)

You'd likely have to file the outside of the nut to get it in the gap, or if you're lucky it might go on with a small socket wrench from one of the tiny sets? 

thsnkyou so much :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Metric on these, they were Korean. No idea what size the thread would be though, but it should be possible to improvise a working replacement. Tip for truss adjustment - gently flex the neck (don't worry, it won't snap!) as you tighten the nut, rather than making the rod itself pull the neck straight.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Metric on these, they were Korean. No idea what size the thread would be though, but it should be possible to improvise a working replacement. Tip for truss adjustment - gently flex the neck (don't worry, it won't snap!) as you tighten the nut, rather than making the rod itself pull the neck straight.

thankyou so much for all the help :)

Hi @Cadenclarkson

If you search 'Trussrod nut' on ebay you will find a number of metric and imperial replacement nuts for less than a tenner.  The metric ones (which I agree with @Bassassin is probably right for this one) seem to come in two sizes M6 (6mm diameter thread) or M5 (5mm).   Go for the allen-key ones - easier to get more leverage...and do use the correct-size allen key.

Edited by Andyjr1515