Why become a member? ×

Nearly got scammed on here!!

RikiB

Just to warn others. I saw an HX stomp on here for sale for £200 and when looking it showed me other ads that included a road worn jazz bass for £450!

I was on it fast and borrowed £300 off my Dad to secure it and planning to sell my 51 bass to fund it but the replies seemed fishy and odd about me sending it in USD. I was about to send thinking no way I could get scammed on here when the account holder messaged me saying don’t pay he’s been hacked literally as I was loading up PayPal to pay.

Just a warning. Don’t buy the road worn bass,Arkham preamp,HX stomp or Mesa boogie subway that’s on here (although maybe they are gone now)

phew!

• Like 5

The PayPal address 

[email protected]

I thought it looked odd and possibly African or something, but said he was a supporting member when I searched , but he has contacted me just in time. What a legend,if it wasn’t for his fast acting I would be out £300 and message asked for £300 and then £150 when it got here.

which again seemed odd

Dont pay into that account if they hack someone else.

I’m now changing my password 

• Like 2

Oh really Daveybass?

I thought I’d get in fast and buy it but instinct took over and I started searching for posts on here where most were years back and then the way all the ads were removed.

I sent a message saying “how come the advert isn’t on here” and he said I’d bought it and he was waiting for the money.

• Like 1

To once again reiterate a point that has been made many times before,  paypal Friends and Family is the same as stuffing some tenners in an envelope and posting it to someone. If someone is your friend or your family, or equivalent and you are sure of the address they are using, then fine, use it if you trust them 100% or you don't care about the money, but otherwise don't. And if someone insists on you using it, run a mile.

Also thanks to the members that flagged these posts up as dodgy.

• Like 12

I actually said I’d pay the PayPal fees and then when the scammer said no then he was told to run and jump.

it’s only a few percent extra to protect you

Edited by daveybass
Grammar
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, RikiB said:

How do people normally pay on here then?

Depends - I will do friends and family for any amount that I am reasonably confident on and I have established that the person I am talking is a real genuine person and I would be prepared to send them an envelope of cash, but if it is a large amount that I am not prepared to lose I would pay ordinary paypal, it is only a few quid more and you get protection on it.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Depends - I will do friends and family for any amount that I am reasonably confident on and I have established that the person I am talking is a real genuine person and I would be prepared to send them an envelope of cash, but if it is a large amount that I am not prepared to lose I would pay ordinary paypal, it is only a few quid more and you get protection on it.

Yes but if that person is a scammer pretending to be a person you know as in the case of Chaypup (who I have had great deals with previously) it would be hard not to be taken in. I’m glad that nobody lost out this time. 

• Like 5

Just now, ash said:

Yes but if that person is a scammer pretending to be a person you know as in the case of Chaypup (who I have had great deals with previously) it would be hard not to be taken in. I’m glad that nobody lost out this time. 

Trust me, if you knew Chaypup, you wouldn't have had any problem knowing that the person you were talking to was not him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Trust me, if you knew Chaypup, you wouldn't have had any problem knowing that the person you were talking to was not him. 

Ah didn’t realise you’d been communicating with the person. 

3 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

How do the dirtbags get hold of people's accounts?

Almost all account hacking happens because someone uses the same username and password across numerous websites. Eventually they get lured to sign in to a fake site (phishing) or they sign into a real site with poor back-end security, and their username and password get on a list and sold to other scammers. The end-user scammer hunts around to find the sites that the victim uses, trying their username and password until they get into a useful account like Basschat.

The most important thing you can do to protect yourself is to use a different password on every single website or service. We're told that passwords need to be hugely long and complicated which no doubt helps, but it's vanishingly rare for a scammer to try and guess a password. Even a password that's a couple of letters or digits different to another one that you use will provide hugely improved protection

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, JoeEvans said:

Almost all account hacking happens because someone uses the same username and password across numerous websites. Eventually they get lured to sign in to a fake site (phishing) or they sign into a real site with poor back-end security, and their username and password get on a list and sold to other scammers. The end-user scammer hunts around to find the sites that the victim uses, trying their username and password until they get into a useful account like Basschat.

The most important thing you can do to protect yourself is to use a different password on every single website or service. We're told that passwords need to be hugely long and complicated which no doubt helps, but it's vanishingly rare for a scammer to try and guess a password. Even a password that's a couple of letters or digits different to another one that you use will provide hugely improved protection

This. A password manager is the simplest solution. If you are really old school and have to write things down try a simple option. Choose a few words that make sense to you eg if your born in June and drive a blue Golf then JuneblueGolf could be a core part of your password that you remember. Each subsequent site could be appended with a unique new part which is written down:

Basschat =bC1)

so password is JuneblueGolfbC1)

and so on.

Not perfect but better than repeating the same password and easy to remember and keep track of.

Even if you are phished and a hacker gets the core password they are unlikely to spend any time even trying to guess or brute force the unique 3 or 4 characters of a different site. 

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, ash said:

Yeah that’s the thing, I thought it was a genuine Basschat member and would’ve sent money hadn’t he sent a message saying about friends and family and it might convert to USD as it’s a business account he uses. 

Hi everyone.

It was only by chance that I happened to log in last night and spot one of the sale messages from the scammer to see what was happening. I used the support function to let mods know and messaged everyone the scammer was contact with but as if this morning it looks like one person was taken in and sent money via PayPal 😞

My Basschat password was set ages ago when I was using only one password for what I considered 'less important ' websites. Lesson learned, I need to change them all now. 

The scammer was pretty clever and turned off the function that sent me emails when a personal message is received - maybe this should be locked on to prevent hacking?

Sorry for all the faff caused by all this.

• Like 13