Why become a member? ×

SNSSBDTW

FinnDave

On the off chance that anyone reading this is wondering what SNSSBDTW is supposed to mean, it stands for second new short scale bass day this week.

I was enjoying playing my new Squier Mustang bass (bought new on Tuesday) so much that I decided to buy another Mustang yesterday. Back to Oxford PMT and left 30 minutes later with a Fender Player Mustang with P/J pick ups and a lovely natural finish. I haven't set it up yet, but hopefully will be rehearsing with my band tomorrow. 

I failed to post a picture of Tuesday's acquisition, but to make up for it, here is the one I bought yesterday:

IMG_4249.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Lw. said:

Nice bit of wood for the body that! 

I'd be getting some Montypresso on that fretboard if it were mine. 

Good fun to play Mustangs! 

Yes, I played this one on Tuesday but decided to buy the cheaper Squier, having played that to several full gig recordings, I decided I wanted the Fender as well. Most shops are awaiting stock, but I knew this one was still hanging on the wall in my local PMT. I couldn't get the natural body out of my head, reminds me of my Framus Jazz bass of 45 years or so ago. 

I'm setting it up at the moment, lost a little of the neck relief and just the intonation and pick up height left to check. I will be applying some fretboard treatment, can't remember the name of the stuff I use, but it was recommended by my local set-up chap.

1 minute ago, snorkie635 said:

Remember to let us know how it sounded - I'm sure it will be great. GLWTR.

Will do. I'll be using the rehearsal room's amp and cab, but it should sound fine. Quite a wide range of tones from those pick ups.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

Don’t I remember that not so long ago you were going all 6 string Ibanez, then you reverted back to 4 string Jazz basses and now you’re going short scale! What’s with the big changes @FinnDave?

You have a good memory! The six string basses were down to the band I was playing in, but I was never very comfortable with them, so reverted to my trusty four stringers. The move to short scale is an attempt to prolong my playing life as I have arthritis in my fretting hand. I found that the smaller stretches of a 30" scale don't cause any pain (at the moment) whereas the 34" scale was next to impossible for me, despite or because of playing them for the last 50 years.

Played the Mustang for a full two hour rehearsal this afternoon with no significant problems. Sat outside a local pub for a post-rehearsal debrief and a couple I know booked us for an autumn beer festival gig as they walked past. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1