Why become a member? ×

Next gen Sadowsky Metro Express

asingardenof

14 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Wow!! Twice as much as a First Gen. 

I'd be inclined to get one of the older ones and take it along to my local luthier to sort out. He wouldn't charge me £400 to put it right.

To be honest if my later made Gen 1 is anything to go by there was very little to fettle. As said before the pre was swapped for a JE but a cheaper option would have been the drop in VTC. Other than a set up, that was it. I’d be hard pushed to see £500 difference to a new model, particularly on the Fretless.

2 hours ago, martthebass said:

To be honest if my later made Gen 1 is anything to go by there was very little to fettle. As said before the pre was swapped for a JE but a cheaper option would have been the drop in VTC. Other than a set up, that was it. I’d be hard pushed to see £500 difference to a new model, particularly on the Fretless.

I think the Gen 1’s are huge value for money, I’m fairly sure it was only the first batch that was ropey and it can all get sorted out. I really like the new ones but no way am I forming out almost a grand on one - I’ll wait and see if any are going cheaper used in a year, but I think it’s gonna take time for the sales of the new ones to get going as there’s so many cheap decent Gen 1’s about. I know @dub_junkie is a big fan of them Gen 1’s and has said ti me a few times that once you’ve set them up properly they’re absolutely excellent. If I knew how to redo the awful decal I’d probably have 5 of the 1st Gen’s haha 😝 

Edited by Paddy777
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Paddy777 said:

I think the Gen 1’s are huge value for money, I’m fairly sure it was only the first batch that was ropey and it can all get sorted out. I really like the new ones but no way am I forming out almost a grand on one - I’ll wait and see if any are going cheaper used in a year, but I think it’s gonna take time for the sales of the new ones to get going as there’s so many cheap decent Gen 1’s about. I know @dub_junkie is a big fan of them Gen 1’s and has said ti me a few times that once you’ve set them up properly they’re absolutely excellent. If I knew how to redo the awful decal I’d probably have 5 of the 1st Gen’s haha 😝 

I agree the decal is off putting - shallow I know. I keep intending to do mine but then remember how hopeless I am at detail work. If I could find a local guy to do it for less than £100 I’d get it done.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Wow!! Twice as much as a First Gen. 

I'd be inclined to get one of the older ones and take it along to my local luthier to sort out. He wouldn't charge me £400 to put it right.

Are they though? When the first generation came out, they were priced around €800-900. It's only now that Thomann are dumping them that other retailers follow suit and the prices have come down so much. 

I bought one of the last Gen1 (green 5er maple fretboard). As @martthebass said, very few thing to sort out, a setup and a bit of filing on some frets. For half the price of a V2, i can live without the roasted neck (maybe I'll change the decal tho, being shallow and all...). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Henrythe8 said:

I bought one of the last Gen1 (green 5er maple fretboard). As @martthebass said, very few thing to sort out, a setup and a bit of filing on some frets. For half the price of a V2, i can live without the roasted neck (maybe I'll change the decal tho, being shallow and all...). 

I prefer the gen 1 neck as long as the decal’s changed - I don’t think I could do it tho. I’ve watched vids that make it look fairly easy but I think it’s one of those jobs you could easily screw up!

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

Are they though? When the first generation came out, they were priced around €800-900. It's only now that Thomann are dumping them that other retailers follow suit and the prices have come down so much. 

The four string versions are still €799 on the Warwick site and this hasn't changed since they were introduced. Guitar Guitar suggests RRP is about £720, so at £899 it's a £180 increase.

Edited by asingardenof

16 minutes ago, Paddy777 said:

I prefer the gen 1 neck as long as the decal’s changed - I don’t think I could do it tho. I’ve watched vids that make it look fairly easy but I think it’s one of those jobs you could easily screw up!

I'm sure that technically roasted maple is better, but I agree that unroasted is much nicer aesthetically, especially as the fret markers are likely to be nigh-on invisible on dark stages with roasted maple.

• Like 1

Made the mistake of watching - or trying to watch - the Anderton's review, and remembered why I don't watch them anymore. Why oh why can't they do the bare minimum of research into the products they're promoting - one of the reviewers didn't even know how to pronounce Sadowsky correctly for pity's sake.

• Like 2

Completely agree. 10 minutes of research before the act and it would be vaguely useful. I generally like the presenters but this one was pretty bad on the basics.

Understanding heritage of the brand, that these aren’t the first Far Eastern made basses, getting that the eq is boost only, not chambered, etc…  

it didn’t do much to really sell them. 

• Like 2

Looks like Thomann have very little stock of the old 5 string.

This is about half what I paid for my late 2020 one although I think the headstock on this says 2019.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/sadowsky_metroexpress_21_5_vin_mo_sgmp.htm Still very tempting.

I did the usual to mine; fitted a VTC preamp, filed the fret ends and added a hip shot string retainer to mine and I love it. It’s sadly not my Ampeg rig in the pic though.IMG_2543.thumb.jpeg.9a6560ab6ad2bb124777add34ed466f9.jpeg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jonno1981 said:

Completely agree. 10 minutes of research before the act and it would be vaguely useful. I generally like the presenters but this one was pretty bad on the basics.

Understanding heritage of the brand, that these aren’t the first Far Eastern made basses, getting that the eq is boost only, not chambered, etc…  

it didn’t do much to really sell them. 

What's annoying is one of them is actually a member of this site, and just a quick "hey guys, tell me about this brand" would have elicited plenty of background info.

• Like 1