Why become a member? ×

Strings on Pickup Poles clicking - anything better than tape?

I'm getting some clicking from when my strings touch the pickup pole pieces.

I've put some electrical tape on and it is very much improved but it's still there a little when I dig in. Is there a better option than tape or a couple more layers?

The poles stick out by 0.5mm only (seriously! Pickup makers - make them flush!) and I don't want to buy a different pickup if I don't have to.

ta

On 26/05/2023 at 09:27, fretmeister said:

I'm getting some clicking from when my strings touch the pickup pole pieces.

I've put some electrical tape on and it is very much improved but it's still there a little when I dig in. Is there a better option than tape or a couple more layers?

The poles stick out by 0.5mm only (seriously! Pickup makers - make them flush!) and I don't want to buy a different pickup if I don't have to.

ta

Lower the pickups. 

If your strings are hitting the magnets, then your pickups are set too high. However, if the noise is being caused by your fingers touching the magnets, then grounding the magnets will solve the problem. Apply some copper tape to the underside of the pickup, making contact with each magnet. Solder a wire to the tape and solder the other end to the back of a pot (or ground lug on the jack). The noise will now be shunted to ground. Just be sure to use copper tape that has conductive adhesive, or it won't work 👍

Edited by Simo

13 hours ago, Cliff Edge said:

Lower the pickups. 

11 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Aye, I've always screwed my pickups down low.

11 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

And it has the advantages of keeping slugs off your pickups too!

Nope!

I use the pickup tops as a finger ramp. With a ruptured and repaired tendon in my right hand I need a ramp. So lowering them is not an option, alas.

2 hours ago, ped said:

In the past I’ve used Dymo label tape to cover poles. It’s stronger, and removes without mess. 

That's a good idea, I'll try that. I have some of that somewhere. Cheers!

47 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Take the covers off, pop a bit of cut up business card or similar at either end of the pickup, pop the covers back on.

The business card will raise the pickup cover so the poles are no longer exposed, so no strings hitting the poles themselves. Simple.

Such a simple idea that I'd never have thought of that!