Why become a member? ×

Thinking of taking up playing 6 string Bass?

TheGreek

Just in case you didn't notice, it's a vertical playing instrument, Mick.

An instrument for the lazy people, it's all about patterns, in fact.

Also check Anthony Wellington's explaining the modes, you'll be amazed.

It's an hour lesson that could have lasted 10 minutes, but those guys know how to earn their money. 😉

I have a simple Excel file (two in fact as it can been seen from two different points of view) explaining the same, but you first need to understand the pattern.

Dave Swift plays 6 strings, as many of the guests on The Later With Jools Holland show decide they want to sing stuff in a different key, from the originally agreed one, on the day of the performance.

Dave quickly learned it's easier to transpose stuff on a 6 string than a 5 or 4.

Luckily he has very large hands.

It's one of the reasons I bought a 5 string when I joined a cover band. The singer rarely sang the songs in the original key.

Edited by gjones
  • Like 1

Biggest problem I have playing sixers is remembering to mute random ringing strings. Fret wraps are, I find, useful. Just discovered this thread, and oddly enough, have been playing a six string bass for a couple of hours this afternoon. A wide and padded strap is another must in my view, and don't wear the bass too low or you'll risk destroying your wrist on your fretting hand. Other than that, immense fun to be had playmates. 🙂

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Six stringers are for big handed guys. I like 5 more and have quite small hands. Of course - 6 strings gives You more advantage.

Not necessarily, I've got short stubby fingers ( like an ape ) and got on fine with a six..

I only flogged it as I really wasn't using it, being at heart a 100% four banger kind of chap.... 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Not necessarily, I've got short stubby fingers ( like an ape ) and got on fine with a six..

I only flogged it as I really wasn't using it, being at heart a 100% four banger kind of chap.... 

Yeah, as Pastorius once said - "I only need 4 strings".

3 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Yep Jaco was an absolute genius with a 4 string - imagine what he could have done had he turned his hand to 6 string. 

I think if Jaco had lived most of us would have given up years ago with disillusionment.

Not really, I'm sure he's very clever but I'd have no desire at all to play like that, sorry and everything 😁

• Like 1

The size of your fingers is immaterial, it’s about technique.

Apart from a brief reverse back to playing a 5 string during the first year of my degree, I’ve been playing 6 string bass for nearly 20 years. 

I would recommend having a few lessons from someone who plays a 6 string when you start, just to get comfortable with playing it. 

I think the reason why so many people buy 6 string basses and then sell them, is that they’re trying to simply transfer whatever technique they use on a 4 string instrument over to the 6. That won’t necessarily work, they’re very different beasts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ambient is correct. Good technique becomes very important when trying to play a 6 string properly. Muting is especially important.

I know that some people say the main advantage of a 6 is playing across the strings rather than playing in a more linear manner in order to be able to deal with key changes and avoiding major shifts up and down the fretboard, and while this is undoubtedly a major benefit, in order to make the most of the instrument you really need to study players like Anthony Jackson, John Patitucci and Oteil Burbridge who really make use of the full range of the 6 string. It's very good for transcribing too - the vast majority of guitar and horn solos can be transcribed and played (albeit an octave down) on a six string a lot easier than they can on a four or five, even those with 24 frets. 

At the same time I would never say that you can do everything on a six. Slapping (unless you really need the high C, which sounds very 'pingy' when popped anyway) is a whole lot easier on a 4 or 5, as is aggressive pickstyle playing (Duff McKagan for example - you lose the ability to mute fully with the right hand, so you can have the low B and high C ringing out all over the place if you're not careful).

Edited by Belka
  • Like 1