Why become a member? ×

Thinking of taking up playing 6 string Bass?

TheGreek

6 hours ago, ambient said:

I suppose he can play a bit.

Well, as i promised earlier, i checked wikip. about him and understood that he is a great slapper. As i don't like slap, i am not interested in knowing Mark King in you tube and i know now why i didn't heard of him before. The only thing that i can't understand is why he didn't gig in Latvia in his careara ?

On 18/05/2023 at 15:37, nilorius said:

Yeah, as Pastorius once said - "I only need 4 strings".

He also pulled the frets out of his bass using a butterknife, provoked a bouncer at a bar to beat him to death, and was mentally ill.

Not that that makes him any less of a genius bass player, or any lesser of a human being and person for that matter, just maybe not one to blindly follow as a flawless example.

Also I don't think he ever actually stated so, lots of people after him though have used that fact, that "Jaco only needed 4 strings", as some kind of ultimate universal truth, as a supposed ultimate proof for it also to be true for everyone else and in any possible context.

On 18/05/2023 at 18:59, TheGreek said:

Yep Jaco was an absolute genius with a 4 string - imagine what he could have done had he turned his hand to 6 string. 

I think if Jaco had lived most of us would have given up years ago with disillusionment.

His son Felix Pastorius plays 6 string bass.

Try looking him up, he's a monster player as well.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

He also pulled the frets out on his bass using a butterknife, provoked a bouncer at a bar to beat him to death, and was mentally ill.

Not that that makes him any less of a genius bass player, or any lesser of a human being and person for that matter, just maybe not one to blindly follow as a flawless example.

Also I don't think he ever actually stated so, lots of people after him though have used that fact, that "Jaco only needed 4 strings", as some kind of ultimate universal truth, as a supposed ultimate proof for it also to be true for everyone else and in any possible context.

IMG_2296.jpeg

• Haha 1

Jaco played some fivers in his career and never pull out the frets himself, but bought the bass already defretted.

He simply put tons of (boat) epoxy paint on the neck to make it playable and took it to a gig: the rest is history.

Having an utterly over dimensioned ego, he pretended afterwards that he had the idea of pulling out the frets himself as it helped having an even bigger aura on the music scene, so he became what he wanted to be: a god.

3 hours ago, snorkie635 said:

IMG_2296.jpeg

I meant try looking up "Felix Pastorius", not "Monster player". ;)

2 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Yep, the crazy knobs noodling guy, I know. 🤦🏻‍♂️

A very accurate description, he seems to have a consistent very focused aim of covering as much completely random knob traveling as humanly possible rather than to be of any actual use at demonstrating what the knobs in fact do.

Curious, if not very service minded, priority...

• Haha 2

I see there's YET AGAIN the 'Jaco only needed 4' debate going on. Its a fools argument. 

Does it matter? He's one player, one I don't personally rate if I'm honest, but each to their own. 

We wear different clothes, we drive different cars, we have different jobs etc. Why is there always an arguement that because one person played a 4 string bass reasonably well that we should all do it?

If you don't want to play 6 string, then don't! I play 6 string, I also own and play 8, 9 and 10 string basses. I also own a 4 string bass! And a drumkit... wow, great... who cares. 

Play what you want! We have that freedom. Jaco played 4 - whoop for him. 

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, binky_bass said:

If you don't want to play 6 string, then don't! I play 6 string, I also own and play 8, 9 and 10 string basses. I also own a 4 string bass! And a drumkit... wow, great... who cares. 

I care for one, but I don't judge.

I think it is awesome that you own and play all these different takes on the bass instrument and would love to hear examples of you playing them.

I own and play both an acoustic and an electric guitar, regular 34" 4 string bass, and respectively a short scale 28.6" scale 4 and 5 string bass, tuned in F# standard tuning (that is 2 half steps above regular E standard tuning), and Bass VI.

I also own and play a small collection of other non string instruments.

And while I do feel most at home on short scale 4 string bass, I'd love to own a regular 34" scale 6 string bass, a short scale 8 string "octave" bass, an acoustic upright bass, a baritone guitar, and a slide lap steel guitar as well, along with a lot of other types of instruments.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

He also pulled the frets out of his bass using a butterknife, provoked a bouncer at a bar to beat him to death, and was mentally ill.

Does Felix allready have a sun? The 12th string bass is waiting !

2 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I think it is awesome that you own and play all these different takes on the bass instrument and would love to hear examples of you playing them.

https://youtube.com/@russellnewton8794

That should be a link to a few YouTube videos of me playing 8, 9, 10 string basses. They're all pretty old though! And I'm glad to say I'm now significantly 'smaller' than I was in those videos. I think there's one playing a 7 string guitar too (the forbidden instrument!). Pay no attention to the other random videos of Kurt Angle, Pat Sharpe, Tim Russ and Mr Heckles! 

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, nilorius said:

Does Felix allready have a sun? The 12th string bass is waiting !

Actually the next logical step would be a 9 string bass, not a 12 string.

Jaco = 4 strings

Felix = 6 strings = 4 strings + (4 strings/2) 

Felix's son = 6 strings + (6 strings/2) = 9 strings

So, yes, statistically Felix's son should be playing a 9 string bass.

50 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Actually the next logical step would be a 9 string bass, not a 12 string.

Jaco = 4 strings

Felix = 6 strings = 4 strings + (4 strings/2) 

Felix's son = 6 strings + (6 strings/2) = 9 strings

So, yes, statistically Felix's son should be playing a 9 string bass.

Well, do You think Fender will be ready for that ?