Why become a member? ×

OM night tomorrow

Geek99

Off to the 3 nuns in Loughborough- last time I went there in nov 22 i chickened out as I’d done no practice time due to money pit house and the mysterious passing of five years of diy drudgery. Partner urged me to go. 

I’ve still done no practice but am determined to get back in the saddle so am going to ask to sound-check at outset (p with flats) for a confidence factor then ask the hosts to pick a song which I’ll practice until they call it. (Sound check is either “the chain” or “groove is on the heart”)

then I shall jump straight to performance with all the grace, agility and musical talent of a ten ton cat. 

as sheryl crow said …“crash and burn” but maybe not … last time I did this an audience member came up after and said “nice to hear a bass instead of all the weedy acoustics” 

I shall report 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 2

Good luck! I did my first on bass last November. Parts of it went well, parts of it were “challenging”. Roll on a couple of months and I’m in a band with the house bands drummer. 

Above all, try to enjoy it, all the pressure is coming from yourself.

Rob

When I was living in Loughborough in the 70s The Three Nuns was notorious as the underage dinking venue. One Saturday evening teachers from the Grammar School descended on the pub and cleared out all those they knew were under 18, resulting in a significant reduction in the clientele for next couple of months. I can't remember there ever being any kind of live music on back when I was drinking there. However I doubt I've been in since 1978. Once you're old enough to drink anywhere legally there were plenty of nicer establishments to frequent.

12 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Off to the 3 nuns in Loughborough- last time I went there in nov 22 i chickened out as I’d done no practice time due to money pit house and the mysterious passing of five years of diy drudgery. Partner urged me to go. 

I’ve still done no practice but am determined to get back in the saddle so am going to ask to sound-check at outset (p with flats) for a confidence factor then ask the hosts to pick a song which I’ll practice until they call it. (Sound check is either “the chain” or “groove is on the heart”)

then I shall jump straight to performance with all the grace, agility and musical talent of a ten ton cat. 

as sheryl crow said …“crash and burn” but maybe not … last time I did this an audience member came up after and said “nice to hear a bass instead of all the weedy acoustics” 

I shall report 

Break a leg!

16 minutes ago, dclaassen said:

It is very nerve-wracking to start back up after a longish time off. Trust yourself and try to have fun!

Indeed! My first gig after a 20-odd year hiatus was in a 500-capacity venue so I was bricking it. Fortunately there were only about 30 people in it so it could have been worse.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that and I wish her a speedy recovery, although I'm sure there's the inspiration for a million selling country rock song right there somewhere....

"My little darlin' got hay in her eye, and I'm hear in the kitchen tryin' not to cry.

There's a baby upstairs and dishes to dry, while I stare at the clock watchin' time fly."

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

My little darlin' got hay in her eye, and I'm hear in the kitchen tryin' not to cry.

There's a baby upstairs and dishes to dry, while I stare at the clock watchin' time fly."

Wanna be with the beer and guitars,

But that’s not what my priorities are.

Wishing I was livin’ the life,

But that ain’t always easy with kids and a wife.

It writes itself.

43 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

She got hay in her eye and is currently being seen in eye casualty

Hopefully, all be fine and the worst it’ll be will be the eye patch of shame (like a dog’s cone of shame, but less obtrusive). I had a nasty habit of scratching my eye as a kid, an occupational hazard for an early wearer of the hard, contact lenses available at the time, so I feel that pain. :(