Why become a member? ×

My newest Vigier - 5 string Passion Custom

ped

Hehe yeah he is called Eric and has graced every bass I have ever had. He helps my left hand technique - he's a critical little beast, especially for one with no arms or legs.

Once when I was packing a bass to sell I didn't realise until I had sealed the box that Eric was still inside adjusting the tuners! Mighty annoying.

[quote name='ped' post='50139' date='Aug 24 2007, 01:41 PM']Hehe yeah he is called Eric and has graced every bass I have ever had. He helps my left hand technique - he's a critical little beast, especially for one with no arms or legs.

Once when I was packing a bass to sell I didn't realise until I had sealed the box that Eric was still inside adjusting the tuners! Mighty annoying.[/quote]
Great looking bass Ped! Are Vigier paying you a fee yet for such continually excellent promotion of their basses? If not, they should be...

Nik

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='50092' date='Aug 24 2007, 01:01 PM']so how about a pic of the new arrival with it's siblings eh? :)[/quote]

I have put away my proper bass photographing gear but I hope this will do for now!!

Nik - no money I am afraid ;0( but I am going to be on the Vigier artist page - shame the website is so bad. I might try and blag a brand new series 4 model when they come out next year....

Cheerz
ped

[quote]Hope you are well, and still enjoying the ORIGIONAL Shuker bass!![/quote]

i'm doing splendid, packed in work to bum around and focus on music and loving it.

funilly enough i was just talking about how much i'm enjoying the shuker on your other thread! it is however in dire need of a service, but i want it done by Jon and it's easier said than done getting it up to him. but despite the high action and dead electronics it still beats most basses out of the water! :)

oh, and cheers for the family pic. quite a trio. when you get the better camera out you need to get a shot of them with their dad :huh:

Tom

[quote]funilly enough i was just talking about how much i'm enjoying the shuker on your other thread! it is however in dire need of a service, but i want it done by Jon and it's easier said than done getting it up to him. but despite the high action and dead electronics it still beats most basses out of the water! biggrin.gif[/quote]

He should do it for free considering the ammount of business he's gotten from your bass, it was the one that started the Shuker craze!

[quote name='paul, the' post='50350' date='Aug 24 2007, 07:00 PM']I thought you were in abject poverty or has this been explained somewhere?[/quote]

Aye matey, I was lucky to have sold both my Bacchus basses without lsing mush on them, so I put a deposit down on this and with a little help from loved ones (even more so now!) I snapped it up before she disappeared.

Straight and narrow now though mate, nothing else does it for me any more ;0) (Just keep repeating that ped)

Cheers!
ped

And yes Tom Mr. Shuker owes you big time!

Hi mate. It does indeed display the characteristics you mention. I sort of knew what to expect from my other two, and this has everything. The action is superb - very low indeed but I can't make fret buzz anywhere without digging in which is nice. It is tuned in Bflat at the moment and it takes your face off! The B string is fantastic, really clear and tight all the way up. The same can be said for the other strings. I always thought a zero fret was the key to this and this bass makes a good argument for them.

With both pickups on full and treble wide open and the cut/boost off it sounds really really growly with superb clarity and punch! Roll of the treble a bit and pan to the rear and it gets smooth and deep - go further and it gets parpy and funky. With just the rear pup and the tone up it does a great MM sound. What is most suprising (and I found this with my 4's too) is the front pickup soloed sounds excellent for a P bass impression.

The tone control is only wired to the rear pickup which is something I hadn't encountered before, but it does open up some cool sounds - a clean front pup for bite and a warm bridge pup blended in different amounts makes some brilliant new sounds. I guess to roll the tone from the front too you can use your amp!

The neck is 10% Graphite and 90%maple. Vigier apparently use a super dense formula of graphite which means they can use less - you can certainly hear it in the bass. The graphite runs under the pickups and stops before the bridge, meaning you get the advantages of both materials on the sound and resonance of the bass.

There are a few dents and scrapes on the bass - it has been used a lot since its birth in '91 - but I really like that I don't have to be super careful with it like I find myself with new basses normally!

Sorry I kind of went off on one there
ped