Why become a member? ×

Origin DCX Bass- EQ and Drive

lee650

• 4 months later...

I got the DCX a couple of days ago. I was expecting something low gain, like the Xotic BB Preamp, Walrus Audio 385, JPTR FX Jive etc., but its very much not that, nor is it a heavy distortion (to my ears at least). The EQ setting is great, I got a lot of nice tones just playing with the HF and LF knobs. In the overdrive setting it seems to affect the high end the most, and although its got plenty low end, I struggled to get the volume right on my gig last night; it either felt too quiet or too loud.

I think it's fair to add that I've been using the Origin Effects Halcyon as my main drive for about a year, a very different, very chanky tubescreamer-style overdrive, so I'm used to that sound. And last night's amp was also very muddy, so perhaps not the best platform for pedals.

I think the pedal does what it says: it's a studio preamp being driven too hard, which is a 'fizzy' (i.e. not an overdriven amp) sound in my experience. I was initially a bit underwhelmed, but I'm going to persevere and do some more tinkering. When I first got the Jive, I thought it was too weird and wasn't sure what to do with it, but now its one of my favourite drives.

• Like 1

Must reckon i'm not much into the DCX's mid-gain drive tone. There are better options in the market imo for bass overdriven tones. Now push its EQ section with any (bass) overdrive pedal and it's much better sounding than without. Any knobs setting change is more noticeable, breakup is more detailed, and you got some super effective bass-taillored voicing and EQ as a bonus. Getting hefty and full lows from an od, even one with a blend, is not always easy, the DCX provides tons of them while retaining the breakup.

And when the overdrive pedal is off, you get a great 'clean' tone enhancer, with tasty hints of saturation if it's your thing as an second bonus. Awesome pedal !

* Halcyon->DCX Bass might a winner

Edited by Hooch
  • Like 2

I'm very interested in the last two posts as ive a theatre gig in November and have to use IEM's, and the DCX would go into my EBS Microbass II loop. I've been thinking of selling my JPTR Jive and Sadowsky BP2 pedals as thinking the DCX may cover what these are doing (hopefully better) I want subtle saturation but one that will work with active basses as well as a decent EQ for my passive basses. I'm not too bothered about OD, but at that sort of cash I'd hope it was decent in that application.

Any current owners thoughts would be very welcome 😁

Edited by lee650

I only use it for the eq and it sits in front of the Origin Bassrig.

Most of the time (if I get the choice) all of my bass sound is derived from my pedalboard, with any amps only serving as on stage monitoring until I go IEM as well.

I really like it, but I don't usually use it as an effect, just as an enhanced eq for the bass rig.

1 hour ago, lee650 said:

I'm very interested in the last two posts as ive a theatre gig in November and have to use IEM's, and the DCX would go into my EBS Microbass II loop. I've been thinking of selling my JPTR Jive and Sadowsky BP2 pedals as thinking the DCX may cover what these are doing (hopefully better) I want subtle saturation but one that will work with active basses as well as a decent EQ for my passive basses. I'm not too bothered about OD, but at that sort of cash I'd hope it was decent in that application.

Any current owners thoughts would be very welcome 😁

I'd perfectly see the DCX replacing both your Jive and Sadowsky pre. Got tons of deep lows on tap, might not reach Sadowsky sizzling highs but any change is noticeable on this side as well, and yeah, Drive knob at noon or so will provide nice hints of saturation as well, depending on the signal sent to the DCX. 

Tested and tried it with passive basses only, but the DCX sees a buffered signal in my signal-chain. So my guess is it'd be equally at home with an active bass. It's a superb tone enhancer imo, reason why i'm using it after pedals already imparting some 'colour' and texture. Kinda sums up and improves the whole thing.

Oh, and it likes to be pushed with a gently compressed and boosted signal as well, result being a nice and quite easy to set smooth saturation in EQ mode.

Not sure if it'd provide all its goodness in an effect loop, just before the EBS might be a sweeter spot, but worth test & trying for sure.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hooch said:

I'd perfectly see the DCX replacing both your Jive and Sadowsky pre. Got tons of deep lows on tap, might not reach Sadowsky sizzling highs but any change is noticeable on this side as well, and yeah, Drive knob at noon or so will provide nice hints of saturation as well, depending on the signal sent to the DCX. 

Tested and tried it with passive basses only, but the DCX sees a buffered signal in my signal-chain. So my guess is it'd be equally at home with an active bass. It's a superb tone enhancer imo, reason why i'm using it after pedals already imparting some 'colour' and texture. Kinda sums up and improves the whole thing.

Oh, and it likes to be pushed with a gently compressed and boosted signal as well, result being a nice and quite easy to set smooth saturation in EQ mode.

Not sure if it'd provide all its goodness in an effect loop, just before the EBS might be a sweeter spot, but worth test & trying for sure.

I actually plan to use it after an FEA Optifet, so it'll have a nice compressed boost with some added warmth too. I put I in the EBS loop as I primarily use that as an A/B with DI, but of late I've only been using the one channel so I could move it to the end of the chain

4 minutes ago, lee650 said:

I actually plan to use it after an FEA Optifet, so it'll have a nice compressed boost with some added warmth too. I put I in the EBS loop as I primarily use that as an A/B with DI, but of late I've only been using the one channel so I could move it to the end of the chain

Nice ! Dig how it's sounding after an optical comp as well (Broughton Monocomp). Makes tone even fatter ha ! Use a tube pedal between them (Broughton Quicksilver) set at the edge of breakup. Dig what i'm hearing !

• Like 1

Agreed, demos are questionable. Someone on TB spotted a somehow extra compression layer effect on Ian Allisson's demo iirc, which might not rely on the DCX itself - though one could argue saturation does compress signal. To be honest, these release vids, and the nature of the mid-gain drive, which is not 100% what i'm looking for, made me stay away from this pedal for a while. 

But reviews of forum users and a sweeter priced 2nd-hand DCX in my neighbourhood helped me taking the plunge. Glad i did.

12 hours ago, Hooch said:

Agreed, demos are questionable. Someone on TB spotted a somehow extra compression layer effect on Ian Allisson's demo iirc, which might not rely on the DCX itself - though one could argue saturation does compress signal. To be honest, these release vids, and the nature of the mid-gain drive, which is not 100% what i'm looking for, made me stay away from this pedal for a while. 

But reviews of forum users and a sweeter priced 2nd-hand DCX in my neighbourhood helped me taking the plunge. Glad i did.

A sweeter priced used one would help me too haha.

None of the demos have done it for me as well, although the Bass the world one was decent.

If my JPTR Jive didn't fart out when using spectors (even ran at 18v) I wouldn't bother.