Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton Enhanced 25th Firemist

Tvrtastic

On 30/03/2023 at 19:27, stewblack said:

I just said in another thread no more basses for me, but come on. 

Wow 

I release you from your momentary vow of restraint. Perhaps if you fit racking on the ceiling you can fit it in. Somewhere 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Bobo_08 said:

Can you send us the tracking ID so we know when it arrives 😂😂

But seriously, I am considering buying this bass but I am interested to see their approach in terms QC and materials selection, the JB62 I bought is ok, but has some uneven frets and what appears to be a bow in the neck higher up towards these things combined are preventing me from the action where I would like it. 

The big thing I'm interested in is the weight... My JB62 weighed in at over 4kg which for a poplar body is on the heavy side, as the 25th anniversary firemist is American alder I am concerned it could be heavier!. 

Man.. i purchased a JB-62CC yesterday, parcel is being sent out to me today, and after seeing LowEndLobster's review & these comments online... i am seriously second-guessing my choice.. fingers crossed...

6 minutes ago, neil___lien said:

Man.. i purchased a JB-62CC yesterday, parcel is being sent out to me today, and after seeing LowEndLobster's review & these comments online... i am seriously second-guessing my choice.. fingers crossed...

I think low end lobster was maybe a little bit harsh, I have a shell pink one and maybe I was a bit unlucky. I think I will return it and maybe get the 25th anniversary. Depending of Stews experience 

• Like 1

I'm the worst person to ask as I've either been incredibly lucky with all my HB basses or I don't notice the problems other people find so irksome. The jazz basses are heavy, sure, but they balance so well it isn't an issue. I'm old, bad back, shoulder injury and I've done two gigs in the same day with the jazz without a problem.

All the other basses are beautifully light, play like a dream and sound splendid.

• Like 3

I've just had a preliminary noodle after inspecting for any marks or holes.

It's really very good indeed. Set up to my tastes and in tune out of the box, it plays like a dream.

I don't worry myself about the weight of instruments, so have not the means to scientifically measure this aspect. However, it feels about the same as my HB Enhanced Jazz. Too heavy for some of you, no doubt. I have to say that the balance is perfect, and with a wide strap it felt fine to me.

The versatility of sound is the first thing I noticed. With the pick up selector in the middle and tone similarly set to neutral we have a pleasant middley kind of sound. Not nasal, warmer than that, but the kind of noise which is nicely audible in most band situations. 

Just nudge it towards the P pup and hang on tight - this beast can roar. It's a really powerful, and rounded Precision sound, fair leaps out at you.

Dial it back to the MM pup and you have that classic funky freshness. Lighter, jaunty and altogether more musical.

The active treble and bass controls are responsive and very hot. This needs to go into the active input unless you really want to drive the gain stage. 

The most important thing is of course how it looks. It's bloody gorgeous. Firemist is a wonderful marketing term for the deep golden copper colour. The black binding and pickguard compliment it in quite a classy way - but that is purely subjective. As the kids say, your mileage etc etc. The neck is a lovely hunk of wood, and the whole ensemble looks and feels good to me.

This concludes my first impressions.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

I've just had a preliminary noodle after inspecting for any marks or holes.

It's really very good indeed. Set up to my tastes and in tune out of the box, it plays like a dream.

I don't worry myself about the weight of instruments, so have not the means to scientifically measure this aspect. However, it feels about the same as my HB Enhanced Jazz. Too heavy for some of you, no doubt. I have to say that the balance is perfect, and with a wide strap it felt fine to me.

The versatility of sound is the first thing I noticed. With the pick up selector in the middle and tone similarly set to neutral we have a pleasant middley kind of sound. Not nasal, warmer than that, but the kind of noise which is nicely audible in most band situations. 

Just nudge it towards the P pup and hang on tight - this beast can roar. It's a really powerful, and rounded Precision sound, fair leaps out at you.

Dial it back to the MM pup and you have that classic funky freshness. Lighter, jaunty and altogether more musical.

The active treble and bass controls are responsive and very hot. This needs to go into the active input unless you really want to drive the gain stage. 

The most important thing is of course how it looks. It's bloody gorgeous. Firemist is a wonderful marketing term for the deep golden copper colour. The black binding and pickguard compliment it in quite a classy way - but that is purely subjective. As the kids say, your mileage etc etc. The neck is a lovely hunk of wood, and the whole ensemble looks and feels good to me.

This concludes my first impressions.

Pics, Pics ..... 🙏

Ok so you can see some of the cost saving elements but that neck looks great and overall looks wise at least it seems really good! These should prove popular if they sound as good as they look! 

At least the strings stay on the neck and line up with the pick-up which is better than some people can manage.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lw. said:

Ok so you can see some of the cost saving elements but that neck looks great and overall looks wise at least it seems really good! These should prove popular if they sound as good as they look! 

At least the strings stay on the neck and line up with the pick-up which is better than some people can manage.

Mentioning no names... Cough.. Gold Foil Cough Cough.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

Compress_20230425_183034_4040.jpg

Compress_20230425_183034_4363.jpg

Compress_20230425_183034_4482.jpg

Compress_20230425_183033_3111.jpg

Compress_20230425_183033_3455.jpg

Compress_20230425_183033_3741.jpg

Compress_20230425_183032_2195.jpg

Compress_20230425_183032_2364.jpg

Compress_20230425_183032_2546.jpg

Compress_20230425_183032_2706.jpg

Compress_20230425_183032_2840.jpg

That's like permanent-drool-inducing beautiful, and by the sounds of it, it also makes very righteous noises! :)

I have a Sandberg VM4 (in metallic orange!) which is pretty much the same configuration and I keep looking for a justification to get one of these too, as I've discovered how good some Harley Benton models can be... You're just feeding the fire... (fine, I'll say it!) mist.

:ph34r: 

• Haha 2

Wow! I'm impressed.

Looks well made looking at the pics up close. Yeah maybe some cost cutting here and there, but it's a big spec, budget bass, which seems a funny sentence. 

What a looker! Being an anniversary might even be the first hb to actually gain in value, given some time. 

On 25/04/2023 at 22:02, stewblack said:

The only drawback is the weight. It isn't light. As I say not a problem for me given how well it balances but I know that is a major consideration for others 

Something that can be mitigated to some extent with a well padded strap.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobo_08 said:

Something that can be mitigated to some extent with a well padded strap.

I can honestly say I had it hung round my neck for over two hours straight last night and I did not notice the weight. 

I do use a wide Gruvgear strap, but I believe it is the perfect balance of the bass makes it work. 

• Like 3