Why become a member? ×

Passive hpf for bass

Old Ozzie Guy

It's very easy to make your own passive HPF.

Basically just a resistor pot and an adjustable capacitor with the right range, or if you don't need it to be adjustable simply just a resistor and a capacitor of the desired value, and then of course 2 mono jack sockets, some wires and some sort of box to fit it all in.

Regarding active HPF's I find it strange how few companies actually offers a stand alone solution for this in a pedal format.

The cheapest solution on the market for getting an active HPF would probably be buying a Zoom G1 Four or B1 Four, which both features a HPF model.

Personally I use the one build into my NUX MLD Bass Preamp + DI, set @ 40Hz, previously using the switchable build in HPF fixed @ 40Hz of my ART Tube MP Project Series tube preamp.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Google just found this for me. Could be useful?

The slope (3 dB/oct) is a fair bit shallower than the common ones for bass, so depending on what you want it for, it may be too subtle.

Micro Thumpinator 2: 36 dB/oct

VONG-Filterung: 12 dB/oct variable and 24 dB/oct below 30 Hz

Fdeck HPF-Pre: 12 dB/oct, or 12 dB/oct variable and 24 dB/oct below 35 Hz on the series 3 models
Broughton HPF: 12 dB/oct

Mini-HP-VONG: 12 dB/oct

I'm guessing there's a limit to what can be achieved without a powered circuit

Edited by MartinB
  • Like 1

Ah, I didn't actually look at the details, my bad! But yes, that is rather shallow to be useful for bass guitar. The low cut control in my Helix is 12db/oct. I frequently stack two of them (one fixed frequency per preset and one variable frequency in the global eq) to get a more drastic cut.

Edited by Greg Edwards69

1 hour ago, Jakester said:

Not seen a passive HPF, but there are F-Deck clones out in the wild - one recently sold on the classifieds here, and they're available new here:

https://reverb.com/uk/item/13880879-rafferty-hpf-pre-2-bass-preamp-adjustable-high-pass-filter-phase-switch-custom-color

Thanks, I should have mentioned I have a 12db Broughton coming (for FX loop of amp)want passive for 1st on pedal board...

26 minutes ago, Jakester said:

So you want to run *two* HPFs? Why?

I assume the active HPF that they are running in the effects loop of their amp currently is for filtering out unwanted sub bass, to get a tighter bass response and have the amp and speaker work more efficiently, whereas he passive HPF that they are asking about here and plan to place first in their signal chain is primarily for tone shaping purposes?

Sort of like an extra, but working in reverse and being more flexible, and possibly switchable too, external (reverse) tone pot.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I assume the active HPF that they are running in the effects loop of their amp currently is for filtering out unwanted sub bass, to get a tighter bass response and have the amp and speaker work more efficiently, whereas he passive HPF that they are asking about here and plan to place first in their signal chain is primarily for tone shaping purposes?

Sort of like an extra but more flexible, and possibly switchable, external reverse tone pot.

Sounds a bit over-complicated to me! If it's *just* for tone shaping, why not just use a passive EQ pedal? I mean, a *proper* HPF used for tone-shaping purposes isn't really going to be doing much that the subsequent one in the FX loop won't already be doing.

20 minutes ago, Jakester said:

Sounds a bit over-complicated to me! If it's *just* for tone shaping, why not just use a passive EQ pedal? I mean, a *proper* HPF used for tone-shaping purposes isn't really going to be doing much that the subsequent one in the FX loop won't already be doing.

A passive HPF will introduce resonance peak, not really the same as a regular EQ pedal at all.

Also how exactly would a passive EQ be less complicated?

You might as well ask why they just doesn't swap strings or use the amps EQ instead.

I don't know what it is with certain people being so eager on various OP's getting it all wrong, and that they should rather do it their way, cause certainly that is much better and not least not stupid. 

It's like these people presume that people don't know what they are talking about by default, frankly it's rude.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Old Ozzie Guy said:

U probably right, just the studio side of me keeps ruling my thought process.. it's not for tone really, it's to get rid of woolie bottom from  hofner being O/driven,

And to get max vol out of Ampeg Micro VR with 1x12..

Ah, well, in that case I would say that the people here pointing out it not really being the right approach would actually be right.

Get a more efficient active HPF to place in the effect loop, an extra one, or set the frequency of your current one to cut at a higher frequency.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Sort of like an extra, but working in reverse and being more flexible, and possibly switchable too, external (reverse) tone pot.

I use two in my Helix - see my post above. One is at the end of the signal chain in every preset - this is set around 50hz to tighten up the low end and protect my frfr and PA speakers (we don't use a sub... yet). I have another hpf in the global eq that only affects my frfr speaker on stage, this one is variable depending on the venue to control any boom and rumble on stage without affecting the PA.

2 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I don't know what it is with certain people being so eager on various OP's getting it all wrong, and that they should rather do it their way, cause certainly that is much better and not least not stupid.

2 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Ah, well, in that case I would say that the people here pointing out it not really being the right approach would actually be right.

Maybe do a bit of neck winding in?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jakester said:

Context, context really is everything:

So does guessing right when judging people make it right to base your judgement on pure guesswork?

In my book the decent thing to do is giving people the benefit of a doubt until proven otherwise.

And I by far prefer to be proven wrong over being a jerk.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Context, context really is everything:

So does guessing right when judging people make it right to base your judgement on pure guesswork?

In my book the decent thing to do is giving people the benefit of a doubt until proven otherwise.

About ten edits later and that’s what you’re happy with? 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ped said:

About ten edits later and that’s what you’re happy with? 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Happy as can be! :i-m_so_happy:

Let's see how far off topic we can derail this, right? 🙋‍♂️👨‍🔧🦹‍♀️👩‍🎓🥷👩‍🚀🧛‍♂️🧙‍♂️👮‍♀️

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

No. You don't. To either.

48 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I am always right, even when proven wrong!

And I have never unintentionally made myself look like a jerk!

Never!

I don't know if you're a troll or simply have a raging messiah complex, maybe both 🤷‍♂️

For example...

2 hours ago, Jakester said:

Well said, that man 👍