Why become a member? ×

Playing At Home vs Playing The Gig

stonevibe

This might resonate with some of you.

Playing At Home vs Playing The Gig

Martin is a really great live performer and he kindly shared his thoughts on my blog about his bass journey.

I thought this might be enjoyable for some of you, as I am predominantly a guitarist 'that dabbles in bass'.

Whereas Martin is a music technology master, who actually plays the bass for real!

Edited by stonevibe
  • Like 2

Personally I'd go further than that.

I always play at home as if I'm playing a gig. That means I almost never play sitting down at home - the only times that I do is when I am also programming drums and sequences and I need to play along to check the parts fit with what I'm going to be playing live.

I play in two bands and use a different bass guitar in each (5-string for one and Bass VI for the other), and I always use the correct bass for the band when I am playing at home.

Also every new bit of equipment gets throughly tested at home before I even consider taking it to a full band rehearsal let alone to a gig. Right now I'd like to use my Linn Adrenalinn for a couple of songs that one band does but I've been having synchronisation problems, so it won't get incorporated into the rig until these have been completely ironed out.

• Like 3

The vital point too about playing live / gigging is to remember you are part of the booked entertainment !!! 

Staring at the floor or fretboard all night doesn’t make for a good visual performance. 

It must sound right but look right too in keeping with the band style etc 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

The vital point too about playing live / gigging is to remember you are part of the booked entertainment !!! 

Staring at the floor or fretboard all night doesn’t make for a good visual performance. 

It must sound right but look right too in keeping with the band style etc 

It didn't do Segovia any harm.

Many bands just seem to prance around, mostly in an affected 'Look, I'm up on stage' manner, with no rhyme nor reason. Once off-stage they go back to a normal semblance of Humanity; the 'stage' presence' being simply sham, going through the motions, artificial, shallow stuff. If it's to be a ballet, get it choreographed by  someone competent. If it's a musical event, play the music. Quality is Quality, and pogoing is not much of a visual addition to the event. I'd rather see (and listen to...) good musicians playing good music than good musicians poncing about pretending to create 'ambience'. The 'Shadows' stage moves are cringeworthy, in my view, and they were amongst the Good'uns..! :|

Edited by Dad3353

3 hours ago, stonevibe said:

"Bass Hats" are strange things...

😀Probably a while thread there....pork pies seem popular again up my way at the moment, now the Peaky Blinders fad has passed. 😉

Edited by iconic

Main difference for me is the volume level inflicted upon other folk in the area, cranked-up AG700 at the gig vs Vox mini amp and headphones at home. Still, I seem to be getting the same authentic ear-damage from both...