Why become a member? ×

How was Your rehearsal last morning or night ?

nilorius

3 hours ago, EssexBuccaneer said:

Looking forward to rehearsal on Tuesday. 3 newbies to try out. Inside (by Stiltskin), Slither (Velvet Revolver) and Higher (Creed). With travelling gigs next Friday and Saturday in Southampton and Bournemouth (yes, we’re calling those two dates a tour 😀)

Where in those towns exactly?

• Like 1

Decent rehearsal with the Hulla band last night. We worked through three completely new numbers (Love Grows, Love Really Hurts and 25 Miles) and shook the dust and cobwebs off a few that hadn't seen the light of day for many a month. The Hulla is a large (13 piece) band with mixed skill levels but when everyone is working together it's a great thing to be a part of. Gig looming on 4 November to raise money for a local homeless charity.

• Like 2

Not too bad a rehearsal yesterday. Ran through two new songs completely, one of which will be in our set next weekend. I was the only one who had done the homework for the third song, the notorious Club Foot, but we worked out we could simplify the drum track significantly after realising that even Kasabian don't play it live like the album version, so hopefully we can have that one wrapped up for our NYE gig. We spent a good chunk of the session working out how to get our guitarist's Boss Katana combo into a mixing desk, and have realised that we're going to have to rely on the organisers having a long enough jack-jack lead so she can go through the phones out socket. I'm lucky that I'll be going through a communal bass rig that's provided, with either a Markbass or Darkglass head and a Barefaced Four10 - I think I can deal with that, and at least saves me having to lug a load of gear around with just my basses and pedals required.

• Like 1

Absolutely dreadful! It was the first jam since May though as we've had honeymoons and holidays pretty much decimate our summer. We were expecting it to be loose, but not quite that bad 😂

We're back in tonight and it won't take long to sharpen up, so hopefully we have a better practice!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, asingardenof said:

Not too bad a rehearsal yesterday. Ran through two new songs completely, one of which will be in our set next weekend. I was the only one who had done the homework for the third song, the notorious Club Foot, but we worked out we could simplify the drum track significantly after realising that even Kasabian don't play it live like the album version, so hopefully we can have that one wrapped up for our NYE gig. We spent a good chunk of the session working out how to get our guitarist's Boss Katana combo into a mixing desk, and have realised that we're going to have to rely on the organisers having a long enough jack-jack lead so she can go through the phones out socket. I'm lucky that I'll be going through a communal bass rig that's provided, with either a Markbass or Darkglass head and a Barefaced Four10 - I think I can deal with that, and at least saves me having to lug a load of gear around with just my basses and pedals required.

Love Club Foot, its always goes down well in our set!

21 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

The debate is raging as to where in the set it should go. Opening second set? Closing the first?

We had it mid 2nd set, but I think it would be great as an opener. If you've got the right crowd its one of those songs that as soon as people recognise the riff there's lots of cheering!

I saw Kasabian open with it a couple of years ago at the Brixton Academy and the place went crazy

• Like 1

Just now, markbunney said:

We had it mid 2nd set, but I think it would be great as an opener. If you've got the right crowd its one of those songs that as soon as people recognise the riff there's lots of cheering!

I saw Kasabian open with it a couple of years ago at the Brixton Academy and the place went crazy

I've watched a few live versions to get a feel for how to play it, and it's always impressive to see the whole crowd bouncing. I'm not sure the working men's clubs of West Yorkshire will have the same sort of reaction, but it would be interesting to see if they did 🤣

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great rehearsal last night with my punky originals band The Spacewasters. We’ve a gig coming up next weekend so had to work on the set, not played these songs since the last gig at end of Aug aside from the ones we recorded for our new album in Sept. All sounded great, really tight.

Aside from the drummer we were all using varying bits of new gear, for myself was my Squier CV Mustang Bass. Was using it as it’s white, the lead guitarist uses a white guitar live and I like the look of the two instruments at either side of the stage in matching colours and wanted to try it out before the gig. Anyway said CV was great and the Jazz width neck made it very comfortable to play. But the all important thing, it sounded great and really worked well with the band. 

So after this we messed around with a few daft covers just for fun - Addicted to Love, 9 to 5, Go Your Own Way, Bad Moon Rising amongst them. Given next weekend is Halloween weekend we’ll do Bad Moon Rising to keep in the spirit of things.

• Like 2

Busy week for me. Last Monday night the seven piece swing band rehearsed for a couple of upcoming gigs including one that features some Christmas swing arrangements that are challenging in a few places. On Wednesday it was a jam with a couple who used to be touring folkies and are wonderful finger picking guitarists and among other things we worked out a nice arrangement of Ashokan Farewell, I learned that sometimes less is more in terms of bass parts. I enjoy jamming with them, intricate guitar arrangements and they both have great voices and have worked out good harmonies.

On Thursday I had a rehearsal with a bluegrass band I have played with at a couple of festivals, we are working on material for next summer. Unfortunately the leader will be off to spend the winter in Florida soon so we are working now because he will be gone from mid November until April. 

Friday afternoon I had my DB lesson and we worked through some material I will be playing with my teacher's youth orchestra in December. I just started weekly lessons with the bow a year ago and my teacher is amazed at the progress I have made and so am I, I should have done this years ago. I am old but he adds several of his adult students for a few pieces to fill out the cello and bass section of his youth orchestra and it is a lot of fun and a challenge, the last concert was one of my best gigs ever, next one is in December.

For my lesson I play my Shen SB 100 but I use my Yamaha SLB 200 and Acoustic Image amp for the others.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 07/10/2023 at 15:14, MacDaddy said:

Not a rehearsal but an audition on Thursday for the backing band of a young lady singer songwriter.

The songs I was given to learn were demos, so the band were still kicking them into shape during the audition. I played fine and contributed the creative process, which seemed to be well received. Haven't heard back yet though.

I've got another audition with a covers band week after next.

Been meaning to update.

Didn't get the originals band. I hadn't heard so I sent a message and got an apologetic reply the next day. Wonder if they would have sent anything unprompted?

Anyway, I had a play with the covers band (last Wednesday) and they asked me to join during the audition! So that was nice 😊

• Like 6

Rehearsed last night and the band was cooking.  You know those times when the songs play themselves?  The only problem was that one of the guitarists has got himself a new (well, old, but new to him) amp and it's just horrible.  Nasty, fizzy high gain sound that doesn't sit well with the rest of the band's sound.  I'm working up to telling him that he needs to change his settings at the very least.  I did make some suggestions last night but he didn't take them on board.  This is his first band and he's not yet learned how a band's sound works.

Anyway, apart from that it was great fun and confidence is high for the next gig.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jackroadkill said:

the guitarists has got himself a new (well, old, but new to him) amp and it's just horrible. 

We had a rehearsal yesterday to get ready for Hereford gig next Saturday and the guitarist didn't turn up! So no annoying noodling between songs, no unnecessary feedback drowning out the vocals, no poorly set up pedals making almost as much noise when there's no sound going through 'em... So it was just bass, bass, drums and 3xvocals, which was great! Everybody could hear everything, and excitingly, when we did a dead stop there was no extra bit of guitarnoise cos he hasn't worked out how to properly damp the strings. So we were tight as, and ready to gig without guitar if that happens!

• Like 3

The rehearsal with the Hulla band was a bit different last night as I was... er... ahem... ummm... playing guitar.

In my defence, I'll be away for a big gig at the end of November and we have a band member stepping in (up) to play the bass. She's never played it before and has been learning the songs and playing the occasional song at rehearsal. So last night was a good test for her and she passed. But rather than stand around looking like a punter, I brought my semi acoustic guitar and played along with the tunes just to see if I could still do it. I could! 

And yes, I enjoyed. There. I've said it. 😃

(Edit: to add photos)

P1100977.thumb.jpg.4002adf92c7c2b04ffee74ab8bff704c.jpg

P1100982.thumb.jpg.fb5520bddb1fc8ca198e0e82b6263006.jpg

Edited by Franticsmurf
  • Like 3

On 21/10/2023 at 12:15, Lozz196 said:

So after this we messed around with a few daft covers just for fun - Addicted to Love,  Go Your Own Way,

That's creepy...we've just added those 2 to our repertoire as well, Go your own way sounds great with 3 vocals playing at harmonies, and the drummer has nailed Fleetwood's distinctive drum fills,  bass line for addicted just ties my fingers up about halfway in, fiddly and repetitive!  I'll get the bugger though lol

• Like 2