Why become a member? ×

Stingray 5’s

Chris Horton

On 28/07/2023 at 21:32, horrorshowbass said:

Guys any advice on cleaning a grimy maple fretboard on a SR5?

Think its mostly sweat and oils that probably won't shift but there's also residue (wood glue from refret?)

Screenshot_20230728-213134_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20230728-213111_WhatsApp.jpg

Gloss board, I'd leave well alone. Oiled board, you could try very fine wire wool with white spirit, followed by gunstock oil and wax finish (Warwick surface cleaner?) 

On 06/08/2023 at 17:48, horrorshowbass said:

Refin? Love it

Metal flake green. Was a factory finish round about 1999/2000 iirc.

It was offered at the same time as  pearl lavender and metal flake brown. I had pearl lavender StingRay 5 for a number of years (pictured earlier in this thread)

11 hours ago, dub_junkie said:

Metal flake green. Was a factory finish round about 1999/2000 iirc.

It was offered at the same time as  pearl lavender and metal flake brown. I had pearl lavender StingRay 5 for a number of years (pictured earlier in this thread)

Very cool.

Buttercream looks awesome too.

• Like 1

Stingray 5's are really growing in me to the point that they're now probably my favourite looking bass. 

I'm tempted to pick one up, but I have a 4 string HB copy and the neck is way too thick for my liking, and I don't like the feel of the flat fretboard. 

For those who own 5's, are they real baseball bat necks, and is the fretboard flat? I don't have the opportunity to try one here and those things would be a deal-breaker for me. 

3 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Stingray 5's are really growing in me to the point that they're now probably my favourite looking bass. 

I'm tempted to pick one up, but I have a 4 string HB copy and the neck is way too thick for my liking, and I don't like the feel of the flat fretboard. 

For those who own 5's, are they real baseball bat necks, and is the fretboard flat? I don't have the opportunity to try one here and those things would be a deal-breaker for me. 

This was a concern for me too but found the necks to be fine. Nice and shallow at back and string spacing works for me. Still trying to get on with the single H pickup though :)

the 4 neck is pretty fat but I liked the 5. Personal preference obvs.

The biggest neck i ever experienced was an l2000 but for some reason liked it anyway.

• Thanks 1

On 12/08/2023 at 10:29, Newfoundfreedom said:

. . . .  I don't like the feel of the flat fretboard. . . . For those who own 5's, are they real baseball bat necks, and is the fretboard flat? I don't have the opportunity to try one here and those things would be a deal-breaker for me. 

My SR5 was an early one, IIRC 1989, which had a one piece maple neck/fretboard with unrounded edges.

I don't recall whether there was a radius or not, or the neck being fat. Whatever it was, it didn't bother me. The edges of the fretboard finally peed me off and I replaced it with a Lakland.

These are all personal opinions which may be relevant or not. I'd find a good used bass and buy it. Audition it for a few months and sell it on if you deicide you can't get on with it. In the past I've bought basses and decided I didn't mind things that I had thought were deal killers.

• Thanks 1

@Newfoundfreedom

i have two and I'd say the neck radius is flatter than some basses, but not detrimental in the least IMHO.

The neck depth is fairly shallow and I find it comfortable to play. Some folk complain that the G string can fall off the fretboard, and it is fairly tight to the edge but I've found that wearing the bass just a little higher than I would a Fender Jazz V fixes that 'problem'. I'd certainly make an effort to dig one out near you, or nextvtime you are in an area where one is available. Good luck with your search and your final choice.

Snorkie

• Thanks 1

On 12/08/2023 at 10:29, Newfoundfreedom said:

My SR5 is also an early one (1989) which I've had for over 25 years. I can't say I've ever had a problem with the neck radius and, as others have said, I would say the depth of the neck is pretty shallow (though not overly so). It's certainly not uncomfortable (at least not for me). Yes, the G string runs a little close to the edge but I can't say it's ever been a problem for me. As @snorkie635 has said, you could try wearing the bass a tad higher. Or maybe raise the angle of the neck a little?
As it happens, I also have the HB SR5 copy (newer type), bought used from Ebay, it's had a couple of mods. The neck is slightly chunkier but not really a problem. But of course, it's all very much personal preference. I hope you're at least able to find an MM SR5 at some point and give it a try.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...