Why become a member? ×

Did anyone here actually buy a EBMM Joe Dart?

fretmeister

19 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

It's funny, I'm rarely on Facebook these days and I logged in today and this pops up!

Seems to still be available for anyone interested 

Screenshot_20230309-163605.png

I did see that and for a moment I thought about it, but I don't want to risk that sort of shipping from a private individual.

47 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Lovely flame on that neck!

The Spec sheet shows they come with a custom set of EB Group flats 45-105 (The normal Group iii are 45-100) and he used ancient Rotosound rounds on his jazz.

The silks on your photo are from the Group flats - I have them on most of my basses. They are much brighter than an old thuddy flat, although not as bright as the cobalt flats. EB don't make a halfwound.

I've never read anything about JD using halfwounds - was it from an interview somewhere?

yh it was a great looking bass! 

Hmmm tbh, i'm unsure, from memory there was a tag on the bass saying that they where a new set of new EB strings, I really can't remember for the life of me what they where but they where halfrounds, wether or not its what Joe used or if it was just a promotional thing by Musicman to promote something new I have no idea. In the original promo video he mentions about the strings being somewhere between a flatwound and a roundwound strings (between the jokes) but its in there, maybe be referencing the halfwounds and the grit they provide over a flatwound i dont know. Maybe it was something he was into for a short period and moved on but thats how I got it and I recall halfwounds but equally I could be wrong, it was a while ago now. Will have to invest in those string you mentioned and give them ago! 🤘

Edited by greentext

They are lovely strings! Bright enough, but no finger noise, and react really well to turning the tone down.

I could see them being described as being between a traditional flat and a round tonaly. I've got a bass with steel rounds that is very bright and another with La Bella flats that has no top end and is really thumpy. The EB Group flats sound somewhere in between.

14 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

That's the one in Gibraltar mentioned above.

I'd consider ordering from a well regarded shop outside of the UK, but I'd be too nervous about doing that from a private individual for something at this money.

• Like 1

On 10/03/2023 at 11:38, greentext said:

Now in reality the idea of having just a volume knob, was really refreshing, no getting lost in tweaking, just plug in and off you go

Especially if you have a signature sound dialed in by expert sound people using specific plug-ins / effects etc.  I guess there's no point having controls on the bass if you have "a sound".  I think Joe's sound is great; but I don't really think it's straight out the bass or entirely due to his fingers.  I'll bet there was a lot of "tweaking" going on to get there.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, NickA said:

Especially if you have a signature sound dialed in by expert sound people using specific plug-ins / effects etc.  I guess there's no point having controls on the bass if you have "a sound".  I think Joe's sound is great; but I don't really think it's straight out the bass or entirely due to his fingers.  I'll bet there was a lot of "tweaking" going on to get there.

100% agree with that. He has had years to hone his tone live with his engineers he has likely got it to a place where he can dial in a bass whatever. And eliminating anything that isn't required/sucking tone just makes it easier.

• 9 months later...
3 minutes ago, thewebow said:

Has anyone seen a Joe Dart II one in a shop in U.K. to even try? What’s the cost of it once it’s in country? 

Nope, never seen one in a store, but you can order one directly from EBMM via their vault:

https://shop.music-man.com/ernie-ball-music-man-joe-dart-ii.html 

Costs are (all taxes, duties and shipping costs included):

Untitled.thumb.jpg.12406fd2d156fbcaa995d71266125f78.jpg

5 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Nope, never seen one in a store, but you can order one directly from EBMM via their vault:

https://shop.music-man.com/ernie-ball-music-man-joe-dart-ii.html 

Costs are (all taxes, duties and shipping costs included):

Untitled.thumb.jpg.12406fd2d156fbcaa995d71266125f78.jpg

That's a heck of a lot for what essentially amounts to a stripped down passive Jazz.