Why become a member? ×

Not so much a build as...

TheGreek

...an accumulation of parts which I hope to put together. 

Some of you may have noticed I've been trying to acquire some parts.

I've managed to find a slab body with a nicely figured top and a Tele bass neck. 

Nice natural tones so I've been looking for some gold tuners and bridge.

Hoping to get some cream/ tan pickup covers.

Here are some of the parts I've accumulated so far.

20230307_170920.jpg

20230307_170910.jpg

20230307_171007.jpg

20230307_171028.jpg

20230307_171052.jpg

20230307_170910.jpg

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 8

Nice Style... Likes a Rear Route, great with a Tele-head

When i was looking for Cream & White Covers...Had a bit of trouble finding matching colour / texture...

These are where i got the cream P

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190980490847?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=jFUUZxIhR6G&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=daj_hJ6fSo-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

They have 2x Sizes on the bay.

For a J cover the HOSCO seem to have a strange pole spacing, and didnt fit the std Kent Armstrong

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Thanks 1

Pickups from our own @Chimikearrived a few days ago, Gotoh gold tuners arrived today - seems that it ridiculously difficult to find a decent set of gold elephant/ lollipop anywhere other than somebody's parts drawer. 

Cream pick up covers due on Friday, again hard to come by. I'm hoping that swapping the closed pickups into open covers isn't going to be an issue or I may have a set to sell/trade.

I ordered a Wilkinson BBT bridge only to be refunded as they don't actually have any in stock.

Slowly, slowly, catchy monkey...

Went to fit knobs to the pots tonight - the shafts are 8mm - can I find gold knobs to fit?? You know the answer - NO!!

Looks like I need to change the wiring loom but TBH I haven't got a clue what I need to buy - well 3 pots and a jack socket but there's bound to be more to it than that. 250K or 500K pots? 

image.png.4b19ec65da7f270d7d9a1749633fe054.png

Would something like this do?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Guitar-Prewired-Harness-Control-Potentiometers/dp/B0BHL6Z9KZ/ref=sr_1_10?adgrpid=50765112142&hvadid=606124193459&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9046033&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=7619743506981524452&hvtargid=kwd-315746500965&hydadcr=21556_2290021&keywords=bass+guitar+wiring+harness&qid=1678998786&sr=8-10

Alternatively......anybody got one they would be parted with?

20 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Ask @KiOgon

Sound advice. 

Several messages and harness ordered and on it's way.  

I don't have an idea what I want/ need but John has been really helpful with advice and technical knowledge. 

I still know nothing but have total confidence that he does. 

Project limping slowly forward. 

(awaiting the  grammar police)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Most parts assembled now - gold tuners fitted, pickups with new cream covers are temporarily fitted, Ki0gon loom ready to be fitted. I insulated the electronics bay with copper tape last night. Wiring looking imminent.

The new Dean Markley gold Alchemy flatwound strings have also arrived, as has the bridge - also ready to go on, before checking string heights, etc . Strap locks will be one of the last jobs to do.  

Sounds simple and that the end is in sight. What have I missed?

• Like 1

On 29/03/2023 at 17:05, TheGreek said:

Most parts assembled now - gold tuners fitted, pickups with new cream covers are temporarily fitted, Ki0gon loom ready to be fitted. I insulated the electronics bay with copper tape last night. Wiring looking imminent.

The new Dean Markley gold Alchemy flatwound strings have also arrived, as has the bridge - also ready to go on, before checking string heights, etc . Strap locks will be one of the last jobs to do.  

Sounds simple and that the end is in sight. What have I missed?

I'll tell you what you've missed Mick..🤭

*PICS!*

...or it never happened 😆

• Haha 1

Agreed...I suppose it's the kid in all of us that wants to see the pictures rather than read the boring stuff. 

Here we go:

Ain't they pretty?? Dean Markley Alchemy strings. Waiting on the gold string retainer.

20230406_115016.jpg

Gotoh Reverse Gold Tuners. Apparently puts less strain of the string - could well be snake oil though.

20230406_114945.jpg

Carrying on the Gold theme - neck plate.

20230406_114938.jpg

Ki0gon wiring loom

20230406_114927.jpg

Those pretty strings again, along with DiMarzio pickups. Chimike sent me a PJ set of sealed Nanyo but I couldn't get them out of the cases and into the cream covers. Note the cream theme (that rhymes!!). Wilkinson bridge in Gold (surprise, surprise) and cream knobs (lots available if anybody needs anything similar).

20230406_114908.jpg

As it stands - need to get the electronics checked by my Tech (can't trust an idiot like me). Finished with several coats of Lemon oil.

20230406_114851.jpg

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 5

What have you missed? Well looking at your shielding I do not see how this is connecting to earth? For an Uber quiet bass, I’d recommend continuing the copper shielding on to the rebate of the control cover, shielding the back of the control cover so that the two come into contact when the cover is on, and soldering a wire between the shielding and the earth terminal of the output jack. I also go so far as to shield the pickup cavities and solder wires between these and the wire to the earth terminal to make a complete shielded cage. If you decide to shield the pickup cavities, use a little bit of electricians tape on the back of the pickups to stop any exposed wiring shorting out on the copper foil. 

Edited by JPJ
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @JPJ - the cavity cover was already done but I have now shielded the rebate too. I wasn't sure whether the two were supposed to come into contact.

Advice regarding shielding for the pickups was that this wasn't necessary but I'll ask the Tech's advice on this when he checks the wiring over.

"soldering a wire between the shielding and the earth terminal of the output jack." - is this the same as connecting to the bridge?

5 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Thanks @JPJ - the cavity cover was already done but I have now shielded the rebate too. I wasn't sure whether the two were supposed to come into contact.

Advice regarding shielding for the pickups was that this wasn't necessary but I'll ask the Tech's advice on this when he checks the wiring over.

"soldering a wire between the shielding and the earth terminal of the output jack." - is this the same as connecting to the bridge?

Yes, same connection as the bridge ground wire in KiOgon’s wiring diagram (‘black wires’)

• Thanks 1

Hey Mick, It looks like you have the pickup wires reversed in the terminals, I'm not certain from the pic. but the outer terminals, (right hand), should be earth/black/negative and the terminal that goes to the centre tag on the pots is the live/white or yellow/positive.

Assuming your green and yellow is connected to the shielding somewhere or is it going to the bridge? That should also be as shown on my connection diagram.

Cheerz, John

• Like 1

And - especialy if you have the star washers supplied, (or even left them out), the pots in contact with your copper tape shielding will give pretty good connection to the earth in my loom via the metal pot bodies, so no real need for an extra earth wire from your tape to earth.

Cheerz, John

• Thanks 1