Why become a member? ×

The Real Origins Of British Blues…

greghagger

British Blues has been the focus at GBS for the last few weeks, starting with some YouTube lessons, British Blues Week and the launch of the brand new Birth Of British Blues video course.

To finish things off, I have created a short six minute documentary style YouTube video that I think summaries how British Blues actually became a thing. 

There are key British musicians responsible for this movement but the heart of the British Blues Boom has to be credited to the African-American Bluesmen who were the sole influence on these British musicians.

Find out more in my latest YouTube video and I’d be interested in knowing what you think in the comments. 

Edited by greghagger
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, pete.young said:

Yeah, you need to read Billy Bragg's skiffle book.

... and the books by George Melly. Owning Up, particularly, charts how he first heard Bessie Smith at boarding school (before WW2) and sought out the small and growing band of aficionados and discovered the embryonic jazz and blues scene in London and the provinces.

This is almost charted by the wonderful Lonnie Donegan album Puttin' On The Style where he plays his greatest hits with a cavalcade of contemporary players whom he influenced - Rory Gallagher, Brian May, Elton John and many others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Steve Browning said:

... and the books by George Melly. Owning Up, particularly, charts how he first heard Bessie Smith at boarding school (before WW2) and sought out the small and growing band of aficionados and discovered the embryonic jazz and blues scene in London and the provinces.

This is almost charted by the wonderful Lonnie Donegan album Puttin' On The Style where he plays his greatest hits with a cavalcade of contemporary players whom he influenced - Rory Gallagher, Brian May, Elton John and many others.

I didn't watch the video. The mere fact that Chris Barber isn't mentioned must mean it starts at a point in time far later than real accuracy dictates. Apologies if that conclusion is incorrect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

I didn't watch the video. The mere fact that Chris Barber isn't mentioned must mean it starts at a point in time far later than real accuracy dictates. Apologies if that conclusion is incorrect.

This video isn’t an exhaustive run through of the history of British Blues, but a whistle-stop journey through the highlights. By and large, it helps to set up what I imagine is a course exploring the players and iconic lines.

Perhaps those with expert knowledge can suggest some reading material and Greg can add that to the YouTube description or website?

Given I play this stuff almost every weekend the course isn’t going to be for me, but I imagine we all with you the best of luck with it. There’s some wonderful music here that’s at risk of being consigned to history as culture moves on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

This video isn’t an exhaustive run through of the history of British Blues, but a whistle-stop journey through the highlights. By and large, it helps to set up what I imagine is a course exploring the players and iconic lines.

Perhaps those with expert knowledge can suggest some reading material and Greg can add that to the YouTube description or website?

Given I play this stuff almost every weekend the course isn’t going to be for me, but I imagine we all with you the best of luck with it. There’s some wonderful music here that’s at risk of being consigned to history as culture moves on.

True, but it purports to show where British blues came from. Not a hanging offence but it doesn't do what it says on the tin.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

True, but it purports to show where British blues came from. Not a hanging offence but it doesn't do what it says on the tin.

Have you watched the video now?

This is a basic primer, not an exhaustive list. It’s a very general gloss over the key points.

As I said, if you’ve got constructive stuff to add then that’s great. But hanging the bloke out isn’t the community spirit we should aspire to on here. It’s not particularly accurate site, but it’s a brief intro.

It would be easy to add a slide at the end of the video or description in the links of where someone can go for a day by day breakdown of what Eric Clapton had for breakfast each day in the 60s.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Have you watched the video now?

This is a basic primer, not an exhaustive list. It’s a very general gloss over the key points.

As I said, if you’ve got constructive stuff to add then that’s great. But hanging the bloke out isn’t the community spirit we should aspire to on here. It’s not particularly accurate site, but it’s a brief intro.

It would be easy to add a slide at the end of the video or description in the links of where someone can go for a day by day breakdown of what Eric Clapton had for breakfast each day in the 60s.

@Burns-bass you hit the nail on the head and thanks for understanding the purpose of this sort video. It’s a very quick overview of how Blues landed in British to set the scene for my bass course that looks in detail at the bass players who were around in the so called ‘British Blues Explosion’ era. 

it was actually mainly to get the message across that the influences were the African-American Bluesmen as they are sometimes forgotten.  Personally I think that’s more important than the other stuff. 

It was never meant to be an extensive  or detailed look at the Blues or Skiffle scene in British so sorry if I offended anyone by leaving their favourites out. 

It’s a great idea to share anything that anyone thinks is useful to add as I can put those as footnotes in the description. Or maybe make a video on the other areas you mentioned. You might be surprised that it’s harder than you think! This is my first try at making a documentary style video (instead of my usual lessons) and it’s a learning curve so do bear that in mind. 

I’m very open to positive criticism but also remember that we are all bass players here and share a common goal. It’s easy to fire off a criticism from the comfort of your own armchair but there are real humans at the end of your messages! 

• Like 3

Seems a reasonable brief overview to me, give it's only a few minutes long.. I wouldn't roast the poor bloke for a couple of mistakes either. 

It's the sort of thing that can create a bit of interest to look further into the subject in more detail. Good luck to him anyway... 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Waddo Soqable said:

Seems a reasonable brief overview to me, give it's only a few minutes long.. I wouldn't roast the poor bloke for a couple of mistakes either. 

It's the sort of thing that can create a bit of interest to look further into the subject in more detail. Good luck to him anyway... 

Cheers @Waddo Soqable it’s just an easygoing brief overview really. My real knowledge is more from the 1960’s onwards but hopefully this video has provided a backdrop and sparked some interest in the fantastic era of the 60s. 

• Like 1

On 05/03/2023 at 14:29, Burns-bass said:

A big driver for making this course was to try highlight the great music of the 60s Britain. While making the course, two musician from that era who were looked at in my course died so this makes me think it’s even more important than ever to collate all this information. 

Not completely sure the flak is entirely fair. I have merely pointed out that the video doesn't explain where British blues came from, as it says it does.

There's no roasting. I was intending to educate as much as anything.

It would seem likely to be more about how Chicago blues came to Britain. Nothing wrong with that at all.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Of all the Lonnie Donegan tunes, you chose Chewing Gum... gah!

😂 that was a stable in our household when I was younger with my brothers and sisters and Dad because we thought it was funny. So I guess that I went for that one for that reason. I like the humour in it. Very British! 

1 hour ago, Steve Browning said:

Not completely sure the flak is entirely fair. I have merely pointed out that the video doesn't explain where British blues came from, as it says it does.

There's no roasting. I was intending to educate as much as anything.

It would seem likely to be more about how Chicago blues came to Britain. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Yes I suppose there are many angles to come at this from. I was leading up to the British Blues Boom of the 60s which is most likely the peak of Blues in Britain.  

But I also wanted to illustrate that it didn’t just happen with the likes of Muddy Walters and Chicago Blues. I hope that I managed to point out that Blues was already taking a hold earlier than that. 

Bit ultimately my point was that it came from African-American musicians. 

You’ve got access to some incredibly knowledgeable people on here (not me, I’m stupid), but for the next course might be worth accessing the group knowledge here. 

I still think it would be worth adding a “further reading” section somewhere. I’m fact, I’d love to know more, too!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

You’ve got access to some incredibly knowledgeable people on here (not me, I’m stupid), but for the next course might be worth accessing the group knowledge here. 

I still think it would be worth adding a “further reading” section somewhere. I’m fact, I’d love to know more, too!

Yes there is a serious pool of knowledge on this site which is why I love it. Picked up some useful info in the past.