Why become a member? ×

March Composition Challenge

lurksalot

...And as if by magic it all comes round again, that seemed very frenetic for February, but boy did it produce some quality.

At the top of that most excellent list of tunes, congratulations are due to @NickD with the added bonus of choosing us a pic for March...

"I was messing with chiaroscuro style lighting for a photography project last year and asked the Mrs do do her best gangster impression for me. I think it might make for some interesting results."

image.png.495e42de7a50641226042b751c642498.png

this could be very interesting , but if you are going to go all gangsta rap on us, you'll have to bleep out the rude bits :D

Simple rules 

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and recorded between now and deadline.

✖️ No illegal samples, copyright infringements or other snide goings-on

✖️ Bagpipes. please no bagpipes, the St David's Day truce truce has passed us by .

✖️ No voting for your own entry. We'll know. And we'll shame you..

Deadline wise , we will go for the  24th which means you'll probably have till lunch time on the 25th ....if I'm working on the Saturday morning 

A line or two of blurb as well for the vote thread will be lovely. 

Have fun 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I had a few noodles earlier and it developed to the point that I confused myself and can’t remember how I started.

I really should hit record so that I can pick out the good…(subjective comment mode acknowledged )… bits 😁

• Haha 2

I produced a punkrock classic yesterday (it's a proper earworm, despite my "singing") in 40 minutes flat... 

However, I may have to reject it for this month's challenge as there's so much swearing all you'd hear would be bleeps (some would say that'd make it better 😁), and leaving all the ranty rudeness in would no doubt offend, especially those who are a little on the right of the political spectrum 😀 Even the title's offensive!

Perhaps a nice bit of blues instead?

• Haha 3

I'm in too, love the photo. I had two quite different ideas for how to tackle this one, but couldn't decide which one to run with... so I'm going to do both in a kind of mashup. I hope this works!

Edited by Wolfram
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Doctor J said:

After a buildup like that, you're not going to post it? Come on!!!

I'd be banned! However... I've changed the lyrics considerably and now it's no longer an expletive-ridden rant against Sunak and Boris' mob.

😁

But it still features my dulcet tones!

4 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I'd be banned! However... I've changed the lyrics considerably and now it's no longer an expletive-ridden rant against Sunak and Boris' mob.

😁

But it still features my dulcet tones!

If I read that right, it’s the rant alright , but without all the expletives, I dare say that gets my vote before I’ve even heard it 😁

• Like 1

“Maybe get a blister on your finger or a blister on your thumb, that ain’t working, that’s the way to do it” …..

but at first glance that picture worried me , I knew it was the tip of something , but I was hovering over the ‘hide’ button 😁

• Haha 1

It's what happens when you play unamplified Double Bass with a Drummer... A foolish experiment. On the upside it gave me an idea of where I want to take a track, I suppose I can at least try to program the drums.🤣

Ever have that feeling when you thought what you had down so far was actually pretty good, take a break from it for a couple of days, listen back and it's like... "what were you thinking?"

My daughter's kind assessment: "You could use it to test people's hearing. Play it, and if they put their hands over their ears, their ears are working."

Back to the drawing board I guess!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Wolfram said:

Ever have that feeling when you thought what you had down so far was actually pretty good, take a break from it for a couple of days, listen back and it's like... "what were you thinking?"

My daughter's kind assessment: "You could use it to test people's hearing. Play it, and if they put their hands over their ears, their ears are working."

Back to the drawing board I guess!

The realisation that I was deluded often comes a few minutes after posting it in the voting thread.

I'm still struggling to decide what direction to go in.  I started thinking a surf guitar thing befitting a Tarantino soundtrack would be a good idea, but that's been ditched in favour of some heavy metal, which has also gone.

I've been through four different genres already but, finally, my muse has pulled something up from the seabed of song fragments wallowing upon the ocean floor and it's now time to set sail for Composition Island. Doesn't mean it'll be any good, but still, ahoy, me hearties!

Well I developed a very little piano passage , I liked it , so I then set about learning to play it to a recordable level of passable competence, that took ages … and now …Meh has hit hard 😂

I’ll try something else with it tonight !