Why become a member? ×

STATUS OWNERS: double ball end strings...

BaggyMan

I was contacted by someone who owns a s5000 status,   apparently having issues with the strings length...as in one being slightly too long. 

Anyone else out there had (and hopefully solved) this problem???  Is this a brand problem i.e is one band the best and the rest...just not worth the effort...for status basses that it.

Solution found.

I checked the intonation on the bass and found it to be way out.   The bass had been in storage for a good few years, and the saddles were actually stuck together.  Cant believe that the thing ever was in tune...who knows. 

Stripped the bridge down, thorough clean. Reset the intonation correctly and that solved the issue.  I assembled the tuning mechanism without the top plate to see where the string blocks sat an the one securing the offending d string was 1mm from being maxed out.  Went over the whole bass full set up and boom shes up and running again with one very relieved ex-session player/owner.

• Like 5

Some batches of GHS strings were known to be out of spec I think in the 90s or early 2000s but I never personally had an issue with any strings until very recently. 

Bought a few sets of Elites Stadium strings through eBay. Changed them at a rehearsal and the A and D couldn’t be brought up to pitch. 

Barry at the Bass Centre has taken the strings back and confirmed that they have been supplied a bad batch by the manufacturer.  It’s confined to the .060 and .080 strings from the medium gauge stainless steel round wound sets (.040- .100) They’re organising a new production run and will be restocking as soon as possible. 

My Status which has the newer style individual bridge/ tuners had enough range to bring the faulty strings to pitch but three of my original Steinbergers couldn’t. 

Stellar service from the Bass Centre accepting liability especially bearing in mind I had a long gap between actually buying the strings and fitting them- bought them last August and only tried them a few weeks ago. 

• 10 months later...