Why become a member? ×

5 string single cut build - finished!

benh

15 hours ago, tauzero said:

Hmmmm....I don't think Chris Alsop does them.  I think I got mine from Tonetech.  When I have a moment, I'll have a check.  All I remember was that they were quite expensive...but I wouldn't be without them. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Hmmmm....I don't think Chris Alsop does them.  I think I got mine from Tonetech.  When I have a moment, I'll have a check.  All I remember was that they were quite expensive...but I wouldn't be without them. 

Are they different to the fret cutters then? Cutters to cut off a bit of fret tang to allow the fret to go into a bound neck?

Edited by tauzero
Speculation as to purpose

2 hours ago, tauzero said:

Are they different to the fret cutters then? Cutters to cut off a bit of fret tang to allow the fret to go into a bound neck?

Exactly right - or in this case, so I have a small bit to fill on the edge of the fretboard to make "blind" fret ends, much more pleasing than seeing the tang in the edge of the fretboard. Have done it before by filing the tangs but it takes a soul destroying amount of time!

Edited by benh
Spellign

29 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Thanks Andy. Looked at Tonetech and a few others, they seem to vary wildly in cost. Ended up biting the bullet and ordering some from TLC guitar goods in Holland earlier today

19 minutes ago, tauzero said:

You can use cutters (best if they are ground down like fret pullers) but you do tend to still have a stub left over. Decent tang nippers will shear the whole tang off flush with the bottom of the fret.  But it's pennies on the scale - both methods will work.

Colour change - wasn't happy with the top coat so sanded all back to bare wood. Won't be using it again! The more I looked at it the more I thought the blue was a bit much, so gone for a more subdued green.

PXL_20230416_152103807.jpg

• Like 7