Why become a member? ×

Cello Suite no.II in D Minor (Bach) - complete recording

funkypenguin

One of my favourite things about the bass guitar is its close relation to the Cello in many ways. I love solo Cello and how parts translate to bass so well. I have to admit, having studied Suite No.II in Bm to death many years ago, I'm less familiar with this piece, time I created a playlist!

43 minutes ago, JakeBrownBass said:

Fantastic work. 

The recorded sound is distracting from the performance for me. It feels like i'm listening from outside of the room with how much top end is rolled off. 

Interesting that the sound makes you feel like you're listening outside the room, there wasn't any top end rolled off on the amp or the desk although it is quite a dark sounding bass.

Outstanding playing, very well done. Sorry to say however that I'm 100% with @JakeBrownBass, the tone - at least on my computer - detracts significantly from the performance, I find it distorted in an unmusical way, with what appear to be recording artefacts in some of the upper register notes. I'll listen with headphones later, but even if it's better in that medium - and reflecting the comment from @lowdown above that if listened to on monitors I might hear it very differently - to my mind if you want people to listen to and share your work, it's important to get the recorded tone to work across devices if you can. 

But hey, it's not all bad, I'd kill to have the patience and skill to learn and perform those pieces. I had to play one of the suites for Grade V on a 'cello and it was a several hours per day task to learn, and even then I needed the sheet music in front of me 👍

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Beedster said:

Outstanding playing, very well done. Sorry to say however that I'm 100% with @JakeBrownBass, the tone - at least on my computer - detracts significantly from the performance, I find it distorted in an unmusical way, with what appear to be recording artefacts in some of the upper register notes. I'll listen with headphones later, but even if it's better in that medium - and reflecting the comment from @lowdown above that if listened to on monitors I might hear it very differently - to my mind if you want people to listen to and share your work, it's important to get the recorded tone to work across devices if you can. 

But hey, it's not all bad, I'd kill to have the patience and skill to learn and perform those pieces. I had to play one of the suites for Grade V on a 'cello and it was a several hours per day task to learn, and even then I needed the sheet music in front of me 👍

When you say recorded artefacts, are you talking about the harmonic colouration that almost sounds like distortion? If yes, that's a characteristic of the Hellborg power amp. It's something I really like, but I get that some really don't :) Noted regarding optimising the sound for different devices!

19 hours ago, funkypenguin said:

When you say recorded artefacts, are you talking about the harmonic colouration that almost sounds like distortion? If yes, that's a characteristic of the Hellborg power amp. It's something I really like, but I get that some really don't :) Noted regarding optimising the sound for different devices!

Sadly no, I'm hearing distinct and quite punchy percussive elements in some of the upper register notes, for example at 36-39 seconds in? I'm playing through MacBook speakers so not the best, but then other people will probably use similar

Edited by Beedster

13 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Sadly no, I'm hearing distinct and quite punchy percussive elements in some of the upper register notes. I'm playing through MacBook speakers so not the best, but then other people will probably use similar

Might be a glitch in my laptop of course 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

Might be a glitch in my laptop of course 

I'm getting a little bit of that when I listen on my phone but nothing on my laptop, through monitors or through headphones....interesting, thanks for the heads up there! something to look at for when the whole project gets mixed!!

Disclaimer : more than half-deaf, especially in the upper registers, so...

It sounds fine, to me, on my monitors and my headphones; nicely balanced, in fact. As for the playing : yes, that's how Musicians play Music, so no great surprise. Excellent interpretation, which one wouldn't get from a keyboard such as a clavecin or piano, with the subtle vibrato and micro-bends adding tasteful life to the piece. Great timing, too, avoiding the mechanical metronomic rendition that Bach so often suffers from. Thanks for sharing. R91KekF.gif

• Thanks 1