Why become a member? ×

Acinonyx V2

mr4stringz

Don’t think there’s anything out there that says explicitly if it’s a replacement or an addition, but the V1 was still getting plugged by Nordstrand on socials a couple of days back and they posted this on their (very) brief V2 demo on Instagram. That maybe suggests both will be available, initially at least.

20EB4887-1177-4CD4-83B5-57AB203A1CB6.jpeg

Edited by mr4stringz

Lovely basses that play and sound great... only issue I found was that I'm very animated when I play, and it always felt like it was going to break.  Well, that and the static issues on the tort pick guard, and the bridge saddles kept losing height... oh, and I always felt that it could've done with more tonal options; it felt that from full tone to the smallest roll off option was always a massive jump.  Maybe I didn't like it as much as I thought I did...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Though I love my V1, I’m not sure (yet) if I see the worth in getting the V2. What I’ve read from Nordstrand is that the V1 offers more lows, V2 more highs, and they crossover in the middle.

I’m super interested in the fretless, however, but I haven’t seen any impressions of it online.

Just in case you want an alternative supplier, the Bass Gallery also carry Acinonyx. I got my V1 from them last year and it was marginally less than Bass Direct at the time. 

Mine is from the second batch and has not suffered from the issues that some of the first batch had: noise, sticking or non-functioning buttons and bridge saddles dropping. I guess they must have sorted any QC issues for the second batch. 

There is a very active Acininoyx thread over on TalkBass. A few people across the pond have already got fretless and the V2 versions and are giving their feedback. Might be worth checking out, if you are interested in one.

For what it is worth, I love my V1 but I agree that the tonal options are not subtle: basically heavy treble roll off, full dub and the mid-scoop also seems to roll-off a lot of treble. I do like the press button, instant predictable tone change and the options work for me in conjunction with the pickup selector but won’t for everyone. The bridge pickup really works well solo: it retains plenty of bass and with the first tone roll-off produces a really nice burpey vibe. It’s really difficult to select the “all in” serial mode but worth it when you do. I would happily swap the mute button for a single button “all in”. It is also a bass that you can play for those 3 hour, Sunday afternoon pub gigs without feeling totally wrecked at the end.

Perhaps this V2 is going to have a wider and more subtle tonal palette. As everything is mounted on the scratch plate, they could just flog existing owners a loaded plate to do the conversion.

My favoured first variant would have been a medium scale version but I don’t even think they have thought about that one. It would probably mess up the balance as well to have a longer neck.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Well, I have made three queries on the Nordstrand website, one about the bridge on the original and two about the fretless V2, the first of these was weeks ago, perhaps they don't want my money?

I once contacted them about something and never heard back either. I guess they’re just bad at getting back to people. One of their team is very active in the US bass forum.

I’m still waiting to hear back from Bass Direct re: fretless. But he did say that he can order in the V2s now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Well, I have made three queries on the Nordstrand website, one about the bridge on the original and two about the fretless V2, the first of these was weeks ago, perhaps they don't want my money?

Try a PM to SoniaMara on TalkBass. She works for Nordstrand and has answered other contributors’ questions on that forum.

P.S. I can tell you that their answer to other owners with the dropping bridge saddle problem has been to use Loctite. Not very popular with some of the owners it has to be said. I think a replacement saddle and adjustment screw is the least they could do.

Edited by Obrienp
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

Try a PM to SoniaMara on TalkBass. She works for Nordstrand and has answered other contributors’ questions on that forum.

I'm afraid I am one of the people who was very quickly kicked off TB for questioning the orthodoxy.

17 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

P.S. I can tell you that their answer to other owners with the dropping bridge saddle problem has been to use Loctite.

My bridge question was about if it was possible to get a black bridge.

10 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I'm afraid I am one of the people who was very quickly kicked off TB for questioning the orthodoxy.

My bridge question was about if it was possible to get a black bridge.

Ah right. Sorry, not very helpful then. Could you try Hipshot regarding the bridge?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

All answers are helpful! Now I know the Acinonyx has a bridge problem! Are the bridges produced by Hipshot?

That’s what I understand. Bridge and machine heads by Hipshot.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all!  This is Sonia from Nordstrand (hence the NordyGrrl moniker.) Sorry I don't spend as much time on here.  I'll try and be more diligent.

OK V2:
• it is not a replacement for V1
• it's tonal range lies on the upper end and overlaps a bit on the higher end of V1, which sits more on the lower end.
• the guts are assembled here and installed into the V1 bodies. 
• were are not currently selling the guts as a drop into the V1. I don't see that happening anytime soon

There will not be a longer version of these basses.

A 5 string will happen at some point but not manufactured for a couple of years at least.

Hipshot does manufacture the heads and bridges.  Screws were a little loose on a few bridges of the first run, (problem solved with a little loctite glue.) Mainly folks were not installing their strings properly. The current batches are extra tight, so hipshot must have heard your cries. 

Black bridges are not available.
If you want a fretless, you can order a fretted and put fretless in the notes. The price is the same. (we only have one de-fretted neck available at this time, but you do have a choice between white lines or black, so please specify) First come first served.

I'm sure to have missed other questions, so you can tag me in questions and I'll try to keep up.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, nordygrrl said:

Hey all!  This is Sonia from Nordstrand (hence the NordyGrrl moniker.) Sorry I don't spend as much time on here.  I'll try and be more diligent.

Excellent! Can you tell me why Nordstrand don't reply to inquiries via the online form on the website?

15 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Excellent! Can you tell me why Nordstrand don't reply to inquiries via the online form on the website?

We get 100s of emails a day, some slip through. im going to double check if we are getting shopify emails. i have seen them, but Im not sure who actually checks for them. Can you let me know when you sent your email so I can specifically research it?

Your best bet is to contact [email protected] directly.  I mostly handle social media, but try and get answers to any questions I find on the forums.  you can contact me directly also. [email protected].

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, nordygrrl said:

We get 100s of emails a day, some slip through. im going to double check if we are getting shopify emails. i have seen them, but Im not sure who actually checks for them. Can you let me know when you sent your email so I can specifically research it?

Your best bet is to contact [email protected] directly.  I mostly handle social media, but try and get answers to any questions I find on the forums.  you can contact me directly also. [email protected].

I have moved the Acinonyx on since emailing but I have heard similar from other owners about not getting email replies from the site. I am sure that these alternative contact details, plus your presence here (I see you have very helpfully answered many queries over on TalkBass) will answer other owners enquiries. 

48 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I have moved the Acinonyx on since emailing but I have heard similar from other owners about not getting email replies from the site. I am sure that these alternative contact details, plus your presence here (I see you have very helpfully answered many queries over on TalkBass) will answer other owners enquiries. 

I try!  I like to make sure everyone gets the correct info and any thing new.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1