Why become a member? ×

Neck ”depth”

25 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Had a WAL custom lined fretless around 84 but i really liked the neck on that. One of the nicest basses i've owned apart from the dead spot on the G string and that's why i passed it on after about a year. WAL didn't want to know and were no help whatsoever. 

I currently have an Overwater custom fretless 6er and i can jump between that neck and my other basses pretty easily. Had a play around with the Vintera bass today and was actually quite enjoying it again.

Dave

No idea what model Wal it was, doubtless the cheapest most basic they did, (second hand of course) just regular fretted passive (I think) 4 string thing, all plain black, I just thought it was absolute rubbish, it's the one bass that really sticks in my mind as hating it! 

If you are slinging a 6string fretless, then I doff my hat to you sir! 👍

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

No idea what model Wal it was, doubtless the cheapest most basic they did, (second hand of course) just regular fretted passive (I think) 4 string thing, all plain black, I just thought it was absolute rubbish, it's the one bass that really sticks in my mind as hating it! 

If you are slinging a 6string fretless, then I doff my hat to you sir! 👍

I have the 6er fretless but didn't say i was any good on it :laugh1:

Before i got back into bands few years ago i decided to treat myself to a 6 string bass for my 50th. Originally looking at fretted i wanted to challenge myself more and when i was just about to press the button i thought why not try fretless again and really challenge myself.

Unfortunately i've never really mastered fretless playing but i like mucking about on it.

I've attempted fretless basses many times over my 45yrs of playing incl a fretless P, WAL, Jazz, Jaydee, Yamaha basses and finally the Overwater.

I have now got rid of everything that was more than 4 strings except the 6er cause it has a relevant name in pearl inlay across the 24th fret area and it was a gift from my wife for my 50th.

Dave 

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

I have smaller hands so maybe explains why i prefer slim necks.

Have to put a shout out for my Sandberg VM4 neck tho which is really comfy over a 3hr gig. Very low action on it too but i do play it a bit lighter than my usual style of playing. I use it in my 70's Glam covers band.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

Everyone is different, but I like a Jazz neck. I don’t feel as confident with a p bass neck, and couldn’t get on at all with a G&L L2000 tribute, or a really pretty Yamaha  Nathan East 5. I like both my 5’s and neither one has a chunky neck. On the other hand, I also can’t do a Rick neck….horses for courses, I guess.

• Like 1

The main point of the post is that fatter necks actually are better suited for proper playing technique (thumb in the middle of the neck, playing with tip of curved fingers). The distance from the pushing fingers gets smaller to the string and the hand gets a better grip or “strength” thanks to a more solid contact to the actual neck. Less “air playing” equals less distance, more strength, less movement with the resulting increased control.
Believe me: thin necks are not “faster” or “smoother” or “better” for anyone but someone with REALLY small hands aka: children. Rest of you: go practice!

(and burn all those slim necked basses).

KILL THE MYTH! ITS A MERCHANDISE TRICK! 

1 hour ago, Basso said:

Rest of you: go practice!

You may not have intended it, but this thread comes across as "I have an opinion and everyone else is wrong".

I've played bass guitar for over 40 years, pro and semi-pro. I think I know what kind of neck I prefer by now :)

I'll now retreat back into the woodwork.

• Like 6

I love a very slim neck; in fact, the last three basses I've had built (by Jon Shuker) have all had neck profiles modelled on an earlier bass of his that is very, very slim indeed; even my incoming JJB Sig P-Bass has one of these. One of the reasons I've never got on with a 5 (or more) is the relative neck size. And I have very large hands, and pretty good technique.

It's simply personal preference; I don't like front fret markers (or rosewood boards), either, so only one of my basses (my workaday £150 Yamaha) has those - I don't expect anyone else to like it, but I do. And it's my money.

1 hour ago, Basso said:

The main point of the post is that fatter necks actually are better suited for proper playing technique (thumb in the middle of the neck, playing with tip of curved fingers). The distance from the pushing fingers gets smaller to the string and the hand gets a better grip or “strength” thanks to a more solid contact to the actual neck. Less “air playing” equals less distance, more strength, less movement with the resulting increased control.
Believe me: thin necks are not “faster” or “smoother” or “better” for anyone but someone with REALLY small hands aka: children. Rest of you: go practice!

KILL THE MYTH! ITS A MERCHANDISE TRICK! 

Oh dear, it is the 'correct technique' can of worms again.  it is a good job that, every once in a while, somone new to the forum comes along to show us the error of our ways. :D 

Edited by Paul S
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

I had a (very) few lessons on the saxophone when I was a youngster, didn't feel I got anything that useful from it & I pretty soon concluded that I was better off going my own way with musical endeavours. Then discovered Bass.. 

Being the punk era of course helped tremendously on the basis you could go out and "do it" anyway.. 😁

• Like 3

On 08/02/2023 at 19:14, chris_b said:

Only if you're not releasing the pressure between positions. If you are trying to slide your hand/thumb under pressure then maybe you'll stick. If you're doing it properly you won't.

I might have been out shopping when they were delivering "The only irrefutable way to slide your hand/thumb on an electric bass - vol. 1"
:)

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I had a (very) few lessons on the saxophone when I was a youngster, didn't feel I got anything that useful from it & I pretty soon concluded that I was better off going my own way with musical endeavours. Then discovered Bass.. 

Being the punk era of course helped tremendously on the basis you could go out and "do it" anyway.. 😁

i had 18mths of lessons when i started back in 76. Unfortunately the instructor said i had gone as far as he could teach and i just picked the rest up from there on my own. I cant sight read but i can read in my own time. I do write out almost every song i learn in notation tho.

I'm sure i was taught how to slide from one fret to another all over the neck but it was a long time ago and maybe i've just forgotten how to move along the neck. :laugh1:

Dave

5 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

i had 18mths of lessons when i started back in 76. Unfortunately the instructor said i had gone as far as he could teach and i just picked the rest up from there on my own. I cant sight read but i can read in my own time. I do write out almost every song i learn in notation tho.

I'm sure i was taught how to slide from one fret to another all over the neck but it was a long time ago and maybe i've just forgotten how to move along the neck. :laugh1:

Dave

I could read notation in a very, very rudimentary fashion when I started saxophone, thanks to the venerable Tune a Day books. I probably retain a hazy memory of the basics. 

I confess I've never had or felt the need to read notation when playing bass in any context. 

18 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I could read notation in a very, very rudimentary fashion when I started saxophone, thanks to the venerable Tune a Day books. I probably retain a hazy memory of the basics. 

I confess I've never had or felt the need to read notation when playing bass in any context. 

I just use it as a learning aid as writing it out helps me remember the song better along with just playing along to the original.

I dont use it while gigging.

Dave

26 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I just use it as a learning aid as writing it out helps me remember the song better along with just playing along to the original.

I dont use it while gigging.

Dave

Nearest I'd get to that would be a cheat sheet with simply the chords scribbled on a bit of paper in felt pen! 

Reading on a gig conjoures up an image of those big band stand things with a "Jack Parnell" logo and a lil' light on the back to see your part! :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

Oh dear, it is the 'correct technique' can of worms again.  it is a good job that, every once in a while, somone new to the forum comes along to show us the error of our ways. :D 

Ok

3 hours ago, Norris said:

You may not have intended it, but this thread comes across as "I have an opinion and everyone else is wrong".

I've played bass guitar for over 40 years, pro and semi-pro. I think I know what kind of neck I prefer by now :)

I'll now retreat back into the woodwork.

So no actual arguments against my point besides “preference”? 

Ok.

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Nearest I'd get to that would be a cheat sheet with simply the chords scribbled on a bit of paper in felt pen! 

Reading on a gig conjoures up an image of those big band stand things with a "Jack Parnell" logo and a lil' light on the back to see your part! :)

I’ve seen a couple of live gigs online recently where the bassist has had the music on a stand turned sideways to the audience to reduce the area visible from the front. 
I play and learn new stuff mostly by ear, but lately due to an ever diminishing memory I have started writing out the first few bars of each section of a song just to get me started if I haven’t played that one for a few days. Or hours sometimes 🙄

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Basso said:

So no actual arguments against my point besides “preference”? 

Ok.

Surely, that’s the crux of it, it’s a preference/opinion, yours included. There was another thread where the thumb position was part of the argument and there were plenty of photos of the great and the good wrapping their thumbs over the top. If a slim or narrow neck helps folk to play better, the way they prefer to play, then it’s all good, as it’s surely the music that is produced that is important. The same applies to the skinny stringed thing. Modern electric bass and electric guitar are certainly an evolved versions of the DB and classical guitar, but technique evolves too, although it’s not necessarily a prerequisite. Telling people they should just go and practise could be regarded as somewhat arrogant and not considerate of other’s needs or physicality. If you think skinny/fast necks are a marketing ploy, you’re entitled to that opinion and you don’t have to use them, but don’t be surprised if others disagree and keep buying slim, skinny necks (FWIW, I prefer a bigger handful, but that’s me).

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Surely, that’s the crux of it, it’s a preference/opinion, yours included. There was another thread where the thumb position was part of the argument and there were plenty of photos of the great and the good wrapping their thumbs over the top. If a slim or narrow neck helps folk to play better, the way they prefer to play, then it’s all good, as it’s surely the music that is produced that is important. The same applies to the skinny stringed thing. Modern electric bass and electric guitar are certainly an evolved versions of the DB and classical guitar, but technique evolves too, although it’s not necessarily a prerequisite. Telling people they should just go and practise could be regarded as somewhat arrogant and not considerate of other’s needs or physicality. If you think skinny/fast necks are a marketing ploy, you’re entitled to that opinion and you don’t have to use them, but don’t be surprised if others disagree and keep buying slim, skinny necks (FWIW, I prefer a bigger handful, but that’s me).

If you think an opinion beats or equals a factual argument well…ok.