Why become a member? ×

Mustang pickup vs P pickup

Paul S

I am looking, in a casual kind of way you understand, at Mustang basses.  I like maple necks so immediately discount all the rosewood/pau ferro ones (so goodbye JMJ.  I know, doing myself a disservice).  My ideal and perfect Mustang would be a 70s USA black with maple neck model that is sub-8lbs.  I understand that they are usually very heavy but I have seen a couple appear on reverb in the USA that come up at under 8lbs in that configuration.  Not seen one for sale over here.  I am wondering, though, what the difference would be in the playing and sound of the Mustang pickup compared to the more recent Player series that have P/J.  There is a black with maple neck, albeit with a tort guard but that is easily swapped.  Ignoring the J pickup, because I expect I probably would, how different is the P pickup to the Mustang one?

My JMJ sounds remarkably similar to my old ‘63 P. However, not an option for you, but Seymour Duncan have a custom shop Mustang pickup (which is what I reckon is in the JMJ) and Novak and Nordstrand do replacements of that ilk for classic sized ‘Stang pickups.

Here’s a couple of side by videos of both Player and Performer vs P bass

• Thanks 1

They do indeed, the ones I have heard anyway.  But I've never been in a position to A/B a Mustang and a P bass at the same time.  Years ago I had a Musicmaster modded with a P pickup (Bass Doc, is he still around?) and that sounded lovely.    Anyway, this one has got my complete attention.  If it is a light one I'll have it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul S said:

They do indeed, the ones I have heard anyway.  But I've never been in a position to A/B a Mustang and a P bass at the same time.  Years ago I had a Musicmaster modded with a P pickup (Bass Doc, is he still around?) and that sounded lovely.    Anyway, this one has got my complete attention.  If it is a light one I'll have it.

Good luck with it mate, hope it weighs in as you like. It looks the bomb and sounds to me like it's been well looked after. Sensibly priced too. 

GLWTP 🤞

• Like 1

String spacing is slightly less on Mustang so I'm not sure how that would effect fitment into a P and how the strings would interact with the pickup, one could probably add a simple overlay to the pickguard to mount them to try it out. It maybe the narrowness of the pickup magnetic field is what makes them sound different.

• Like 1

I have a Mustang PJ and I thought it probably sounded better than a regular 'Stang with its smaller pickup. Then I got a Squier 'Stang with racing stripe. It gets deep bass   like on the live Stones album "Get Yer Ya Yas Out".So now I respect the humble Mustang pickup .

Edited by grenadillabama
spelling
  • Like 3

Generally speaking I would think a regular traditional Mustang pickup would have less low end and low mids, more high end, and overall adding less coloration on their own, perhaps slightly more open and neutral sounding, due to the slightly more narrow coils of a Mustang pickup versus those of a P pickup, as well as a somewhat sharper, more prominent, attack, due to the single pole pieces per string of a regular traditional Mustang pickup versus the dual pole pieces per string of a regular traditional P pickup.

However this is all qualified speculations based on the known effects of the physics/design of the respective pickups as I haven't actually got any personal experience with Mustang pickups or looked deeper into this subject matter (like I haven't actually read up on documentation on the tonal differences between Mustang and P pickups in specifics, watched comparison videos e.t.c).

In any case I assume these would be relatively subtle differences (and as said very generally speaking, as it obviously would depend on the specific individual pickups) as the regular traditional Mustang and P pickup still share a very similar basic design/typology, though in my experience subtle differences can actually be quite essential when we are talking tone and music in general.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

I've heard back from the guy, he is away at the moment (gigging, I think) and will weigh it Sunday when he gets home.  That's THREE WHOLE DAYS. :D 

Apparently because I have the bare minimum detail on my facebook account I get a red flag when I post or message something.  Or something.  Who knew?

I've seen some of these 70s USA Mustangs come in at nearly 10lbs before now, despite the smaller size etc. Which for some folks isn't heavy, I know, but a deal breaker for me.  I have two Precisions - a JV Squier and a 70s Antoria - that are 8lbs and that is enough for me to handle.

Hmm, disappointed of Benfleet, here.  At 8.5lbs it is on the heavy side and I have decided to pass on this occasion.  For me, and the level at which I play (near the bottom) it is a lot of money to shell out on a bass that falls short of what I am looking for, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for a 7.5lb one.

But, please - someone snap this up!  I reckon it should be £2-300 more than the asking price - immaculate 77 Mustang in a rare back maple combo with original case!