Why become a member? ×

Ebay or Paypal dispute?

ReeV0

Hi all,

I have purchased a bass that was not as described and want to return it. The seller is being unresponsive and unhelpful. There seems to be two avenues to dispute it, one being on Ebay and the other being Paypal. In the past, in the rare instances I had a problem, I raised a Paypal dispute and it was always straightforward. Has anyone raised an Ebay dispute? How do they compare? What is to stop someone raising both?

Thanks for any insight

I've found Ebay contactseller , item not as described to work well if no returns permitted, upload some pics and a concise description of the problem, but it may depend on your feedback rating, I've had afew problem sellers in the past couple of years but process has always sided with me. If you try and go around the proces then Ebay won't help. I've never had to take up an issue with PayPal so can't comment but I find them very helpful and responsive generally.

Thanks for the replies. I imagine I will have to post the bass back, at my expense. Coupled with the fact that I already paid a lot for postage initially. Does anyone know whether it would be better to go through Ebay or Paypal, seeing as I can't do both (I assume)?

1 minute ago, ReeV0 said:

Thanks for the replies. I imagine I will have to post the bass back, at my expense. Coupled with the fact that I already paid a lot for postage initially. Does anyone know whether it would be better to go through Ebay or Paypal, seeing as I can't do both (I assume)?

If it's demonstrably "not as described" you wouldn't have to pay return postage.

one thing about doing a "not as described" return via eBay is that they generally email you a pre paid return label.. How this would work with a big item like a bass.. rather than a "pop it into the post office" small item I couldn't say. 

3 hours ago, ReeV0 said:

I have had a dispute about a bass I bought through Ebay, not a huge sum involved but the seller dragged the process out to the nth degree. Ebay found in my favour and refunded me, The seller then contacted me asking me to return the bass...no problem but he would have to arrange a courier and pay for the return..he never did in the end.

1 hour ago, dieseldalziel said:

I have had a dispute about a bass I bought through Ebay, not a huge sum involved but the seller dragged the process out to the nth degree. Ebay found in my favour and refunded me, The seller then contacted me asking me to return the bass...no problem but he would have to arrange a courier and pay for the return..he never did in the end.

Interesting, did you dispute through Ebay or Paypal?

On 24/01/2023 at 21:54, dieseldalziel said:

So did you end up with the refund AND the bass?

From my experience, I would go through eBay - for two reasons. If PayPal find in your favour, you will have to ship the bass at your expense back to the seller. If you do it through eBay, 99/100 the seller will pay. Also, if you file a claim through PayPal and it falls over for whatever reason, eBay wont entertain a claim for the same issue. Beware how you proceed if you claim through PayPal first.

17 hours ago, Tokalo said:

So did you end up with the refund AND the bass?

Yes, I took some advice from this forum, which was that I could sell it for reasonable market value, if i sold it on I would owe the owner the money, if I chose to keep it I think it would revert to my ownership after 7 years, i kept it packaged ready to send back for 2 years and then sold it when I moved house. I never heard from the seller in that time

• Like 1

I’ve always found eBay to be very helpful even in complex cases. Just make sure you are following the rules, all comms through their messaging system, lots of pics, evidence, etc. Be aware of time frames and what processes you need to follow. The couple of times I’ve had to ring them they’ve been incredibly helpful and sorted things out quickly. 
One thing I would always recommend is that you open the purchase the moment you receive it, and if you can video the opening and inspection, take pics too. 
I’ve never had major hassles but I do tend to travel to get expensive items now, I’d rather do a 6 hour round trip and not end up buying the item then have to deal with returning something to a pain in the butt seller. Especially if the item is something like a guitar which really benefits from a pre purchase inspection. 

On 24/01/2023 at 17:39, warwickhunt said:

I can't say which is best but I can tell you that if you initiate one, you can't then claim through the other!  

Not true - you get three months with eBay, six with PayPal 

I’ve had PayPal cover it where eBay did not. 

ebay - worth calling them first before you contact seller to ask what you should do and get them to add notes about your call so next agent you talk to know you’re doing it their approved way and have sought advice