Why become a member? ×

Messed about with Warwick 5er - £350

TheGreek

It's a disguised gen 1 Rockbass. Truss rod cover is fake (original had a clip on truss access cover), there's no rout for a 2 piece bridge so that means it could only be a German Streamer Standard Bolt On or a 1st gen Rockbass. Neck is maple so not the German SSBO so will be a 1st gen Rockbass with the large Fender-style jack rout sneakily disguised by the epoxy modification.

You can buy German Streamer Standard Bolt On for that much which will have an ovangkol neck and was built in the Warwick factory. This is worth £150 tops.

EDIT: Also has the RB serial number so that's a bit of a clue! 🤣

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, prowla said:

The bit where it says "Started life as a normal Warwick 5 string bass." is the untruth and thereby it is being sold as a counterfeit.

And the scrubbed off RockBass logo with the fake truss rod cover, it's intentional deception. I've asked the seller if it's a proper Warwick or a RockBass, will see what the reply is.

6 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

Seller knows it's some sort of Rockbass.

Interstingly (actually not that interesting but whatever) some of the early Rockbass Streamers did come with that truss rod cover and were changed to the German style ones later so that's most likely not aftermarket.

Interesting stuff!

I have a September 2002 Rockbass Streamer 5 and it doesn't have that truss cover, so this one must be a very early one. I think they started selling Rockbasses early summer 2002?

As an aside - this bass needs burning. I wouldn't pay £50 for it!

10 minutes ago, 40hz said:

Interesting stuff!

I have a September 2002 Rockbass Streamer 5 and it doesn't have that truss cover, so this one must be a very early one. I think they started selling Rockbasses early summer 2002?

As an aside - this bass needs burning. I wouldn't pay £50 for it!

This one also has it, looks like an '04 same year and model as the one in the OP:

cscjvtwydnrlcbp9f3fm.jpg

Every other one I've seen (including my old single pickup 5er) had the regular Warwick style one with the access cover and model name.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

This one also has it, looks like an '04 same year and model as the one in the OP:

cscjvtwydnrlcbp9f3fm.jpg

Every other one I've seen (including my old single pickup 5er) had the regular Warwick style one with the access cover and model name.

I do apologise. I stand corrected. I've just gone to check mine and it is as this one.🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

PXL_20230124_224453776.jpg

• Haha 1

The resin thing isn't a new idea (been used on furniture before guitar builders caught on) and is actually quite cool IMO, looks very striking if done properly.

FBDD2NZJQCO818A.jpg?auto=webp&frame=1&wi

Execution on that RockBass is poor though and it's only been done to disguise the jack rout, who knows what else it's hiding.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

The resin thing isn't a new idea (been used on furniture before guitar builders caught on) and is actually quite cool IMO, looks very striking if done properly.

FBDD2NZJQCO818A.jpg?auto=webp&frame=1&wi

Execution on that RockBass is poor though and it's only been done to disguise the jack rout, who knows what else it's hiding.

Yes - I've seen folks with their wares at guitar shows and some can look rather good.

In my thoughts it is a way they have learned to use timber which is useless for anything else or at the least very limited in any application without the added epoxy to stabilize it.

It looks good but it is not as a good piece of timber should be.

Example Spalted Maple means soft, soggy or plain rotten before it is stabilized.

Never heard of it a few years ago did we? Marketing ploy turn a negative into a positive. The art of cheating.

I'm trying to be polite 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ralf1e said:

In my thoughts it is a way they have learned to use timber which is useless for anything else or at the least very limited in any application without the added epoxy to stabilize it.

It looks good but it is not as a good piece of timber should be.

Example Spalted Maple means soft, soggy or plain rotten before it is stabilized.

Never heard of it a few years ago did we? Marketing ploy turn a negative into a positive. The art of cheating.

I'm trying to be polite 🤣

Ah see I'm a sucker for spalted wood! Prefer the more subtle examples though rather than the 90% resin ones.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lemmywinks said:

Ah see I'm a sucker for spalted wood! Prefer the more subtle examples though rather than the 90% resin ones.

Its horses for courses Gear 4 Music did a LP like 6 string with a spalted maple top. It looked and played really well after I breathed on it. But cost 126 quid or so. It was never going to be like your flame, birdseye  top etc but it worked and it did have a real recent version of Mahogany body under the top. Not Honduran or Cuban but what has?

Fret dress ends truss rod etc job was a good un.

If someone stole it while you were busy breaking down after a gig you would swear but you wouldn't be hurt.

Someone tried to do that to my bro many years ago A 1963 Strat but we found it leaning against a wall outside the pub before he could get away with it.

Sorry I digress.

Point is cheap sometimes serves a purpose and tbh public don't know the difference. Vesta bass Warwick bass most of the time they don't even know your playing a bass.

I've even had them come up and ask if I can give them guitar lessons 🤣

3 minutes ago, Ralf1e said:

Its horses for courses Gear 4 Music did a LP like 6 string with a spalted maple top. It looked and played really well after I breathed on it. But cost 126 quid or so. It was never going to be like your flame, birdseye  top etc but it worked and it did have a real recent version of Mahogany body under the top. Not Honduran or Cuban but what has?

Fret dress ends truss rod etc job was a good un.

If someone stole it while you were busy breaking down after a gig you would swear but you wouldn't be hurt.

Someone tried to do that to my bro many years ago A 1963 Strat but we found it leaning against a wall outside the pub before he could get away with it.

Sorry I digress.

Point is cheap sometimes serves a purpose and tbh public don't know the difference. Vesta bass Warwick bass most of the time they don't even know your playing a bass.

I've even had them come up and ask if I can give them guitar lessons 🤣

Just had a look at those G4M LPs, really nice. Up to £160 now like.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

Just had a look at those G4M LPs, really nice. Up to £160 now like.

Bought mine about 6 yrs ago. Did as I said. Gave it to a talented young keyboard player in church who wanted to learn guitar. Just this year. Never been gigged or even out of its bag other than for the set up and new  super slinky's

Pastors son as it happens they never bought him one. Gave it to him for his 18th bday with a Fender Mustang 2 amp 45 w version.

That will keep him in trouble if he plays it at home lol

Edited by Ralf1e
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Ralf1e said:

Its in a dodgy part of good old London.

Ahem ... Grays is actually Essex.

That string tree ... WTF? Why would you do that? I think the bridge is a cheap Wilkinson knock-off as far as I can tell.

That's obviously a cheap bass they're trying to pass off as a higher value bass.

I had a Rockbass Streamer and I really liked it. Great neck for a 5-string and the sound from the MEC pickups was decent. Build quality was good too.