Why become a member? ×

New 5er in the pipeline...delivery scheduled for 25th

TheGreek

12 hours ago, lidl e said:

Something with a maple neck....

I'm feeling G&L

I'm not generally a fan of maple boards but trying to find one for sale at the moment is a nightmare. 

I'm hoping this will fill the gap that the Sterling 2HH isn't doing while I wait for the Kawai to come back. 

I should have known  better than to buy another Ray...I really don't get on with them. 

Just hope that I don't have to move them both in the future. 

• Like 2

Good start!!

Message from the couriers needing to reschedule collection for tomorrow!

Thankfully P2Go, for 93p, let you book a delivery guarantee. Delivery on time or Refund, so cost of courier should be coming back. I'd rather have had it tomorrow.

• Like 1

On 24/01/2023 at 12:17, TheGreek said:

Good start!!

Message from the couriers needing to reschedule collection for tomorrow!

Thankfully P2Go, for 93p, let you book a delivery guarantee. Delivery on time or Refund, so cost of courier should be coming back. I'd rather have had it tomorrow.

I was fooling myself - more chance of getting a whale up my rrrs than P2Go honouring their "guarantee".

Collection now re-scheduled for tomorrow 🤣😂😆😂🤣 -  I won't be holding my breath though.

Guess what...go on have a guess...you know you want to. 

Wanna clue?? OK,  it rhymes with "thucking looseness rastards".

Failed to collect again  - instead they sent an email saying that they had called and the parcel was unavailable. 

BS!! The seller has the bass with him at work at a distribution centre with security and cctv. He has forewarned security to expect the courier. 

Bastards just can't be rrrsed to do their job properly. 

Last night I spent over an hour trying to ensure collection which included a callback to me today. 

You will be surprised when I tell you that this didn't happen. 

It's like a comedy of errors  - fools to the left of me, jokers to the right - P2Go / Parcelforce couldn't provide a shittier service if they tried. 

Back to their website shortly to give them some abuse.

Thankfully the seller is prepared to drop it at the Parcelforce depot on his way home. 

I was playing it for about 45mins. I like it. 

TBH I was a bit apprehensive about it tonally - some of the reviews on YT commented on weak pickups - having played it I must say that I disagree with those comments. Many of the videos had me torn too - some sounded excellent with a warm phat tone, others muddy and characterless. The latter are missing out on a very nice bass tonally - about 75% bass, full on mids and a tiny little bit of treble and you have a very usable phatt, funky tone - a bit reminiscent of Yamaha TRBs. As I said very usable.

Neck is your modern C shape with rounded edges where it meets the fretboard and has been finished very nicely with no issues with sharp frets. Lacquered finish neck which I'm not normally a fan of - IMO they tend to get sticky really quickly - not so this one.. There's always the option of a 10 minute discussion with some wire wool if required.

Now you need to remember that I paid around £300 for this - it doesn't feel like a £300 bass - doesn't sound like a £300 bass. The humbucker, despite criticisms on YT is again very usable - you wouldn't want to change this out even if you could. Typical Volume and three band EQ - you don't have to be Albert Einstein to figure this out and a useful range of tones (though I'll probably leave it alone for now). Tuners are Squier and it was virtually in tune out of the box - low B needed a little tweak but that was it.

No idea of the weight but it isn't heavy and though I didn't try it on a strap it nestled nicely on my knee.

Bass came with nickel wounds which will find a new home when I change to tapewounds later this week. I won't have to use a 135 low B.

Fender/ Squire have cut this from their production list - possibly because it's neither a P or a Jazz - I can't understand why it didn't have a more positive following TBH. It's a very good bass for not a lot - but then there are a lot of basses like that at the moment. Certainly up there with the low end G&L, Lakland and Sire.

If you have £300 to spend, you could do worse.

• Like 5