Why become a member? ×

Day of sale blues

Beedster

The problem with letting the market decide is .... there's not actually much of a market at the moment, what with Christmas/NY excess spending and CoL crisis thrown on top. 

I think that, unless you need the money, your fretted Sims and fretless P plan is a good one

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beedster said:

As per the Enfield thread, I've put a lovely MIJ 62RI fretted neck on it and it just works, and I'm about to install a J-Retro and a Badass II. I think I prefer the fretted over fretless. 

0CC16CA8-D1E1-4496-8CFA-F9FC4C1B4EB8_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.47a79f5326e1733fd28aa629ab26c0d7.jpeg

So, in theory I keep the Enfield as my fretted and the Precision as my fretless and all is good with the world 👍

Giving it some serious thought......

That's your answer. I would love to have my Japanese Precisions back.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I can relate to this....except the last paragraph. 

It's definitely a first world problem to be able to have everything one has ever wanted, to live in comfort and to not need anything. I'm 70 this year. If someone had shown me when I was in my teens what I'd have towards the end of my life, I wouldn't have believed them. My father said a similar thing to me shortly before he died. The majority of people in the world simply cannot say it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Owen said:

Let's face it, you are a bass tart and will go with any bass. 

Or is that just me?

I do actually feel your pain. I have just sent a bass to BassBros to sell. I have proved to myself again and again (and again) that I am not that fretless bloke. Yet I spent a couple if days thinking about it again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Owen said:

I do actually feel your pain. I have just sent a bass to BassBros to sell. I have proved to myself again and again (and again) that I am not that fretless bloke. Yet I spent a couple if days thinking about it again. 

I am a fretless bloke, or at least I was (I put up a thread about falling out of love with it a while back). However, since acquiring an EUB, I realise that it may not be fretless that I'm out of love with, but that very '80s (full disclosure, I love '80s music, so this is technically anathema), nasal, J bass back pickup/overly mid bumped 'Ray sound (Pino gets a pass, his fretless work still thrills me). After all these years, I think a fretless P type might be just the ticket (given my current love affair with short scales, this might be a fretless Mustang, if only there was more self assembly parts available for Mustangs). If I listen to Boz Burrell on the early Bad Co albums, none of the sliding or vibrato puts my back up the way the aforementioned tone does. Food for my thoughts.

On 19/01/2023 at 21:47, police squad said:

I sold my one, my fretless Ibanez MC940 and my Bravewood Sting replica because I'm done with the tribute thing.

They were all amazing basses and I really loved them but it was time to be done with them

With them gone I have no desire to do the Sting thing (which is good) but I should have kept them in all honesty, I have many other guitars that don't get used but I have kept them

Just keep them mate

I wish I'd bought your fretless Ibanez. It's on my list of basses to own but I lacked the funds at the time 😥

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I am a fretless bloke, or at least I was (I put up a thread about falling out of love with it a while back). However, since acquiring an EUB, I realise that it may not be fretless that I'm out of love with, but that very '80s (full disclosure, I love '80s music, so this is technically anathema), nasal, J bass back pickup/overly mid bumped 'Ray sound (Pino gets a pass, his fretless work still thrills me). After all these years, I think a fretless P type might be just the ticket (given my current love affair with short scales, this might be a fretless Mustang, if only there was more self assembly parts available for Mustangs). If I listen to Boz Burrell on the early Bad Co albums, none of the sliding or vibrato puts my back up the way the aforementioned tone does. Food for my thoughts.

I'm the same as you, fretless player mostly and grew up listening to the 80's so adore all those fretless players or tracks with fretless and whenever I hear a very obvious fretless Jazz with that nasal, mid bumped tone then I go all weak at the knees. However, I'm finding my own playing tends to be a more rounded, warmer tone, a bit more Motown or thumpy. When I play live with my fretless Jazz, I still have both pickups on full, tone set in the middle and play more at the neck or neck pickup. Yes I get the slides and vibrato but it's way more subtle and a nuance of the tone like a double bass rather than a forced expression. So much so that I have two fretless Precision's now (along with a fretless Stingray and Jazz) and when I recently recorded an EP, I predominantly used my fretless Precision strung with flats.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

when I recently recorded an EP, I predominantly used my fretless Precision strung with flats.

I would dearly love to hear that.

I'm glad it's not just me who has had a change of fretless, tonal centre. I would swap the necks over on my custom Maruszczyks so that I could use the neck pickup of the J type, but the necks are specific to the bodies and the holes are in different positions (typical!). Not that I couldn't fill and re-drill, but just for a trial, it's not really a viable option.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I would dearly love to hear that.

I'm glad it's not just me who has had a change of fretless, tonal centre. I would swap the necks over on my custom Maruszczyks so that I could use the neck pickup of the J type, but the necks are specific to the bodies and the holes are in different positions (typical!). Not that I couldn't fill and re-drill, but just for a trial, it's not really a viable option.

No problem, I'll send you a link to the thread I posted on here where you can have a listen. Let me know what you think. The bass I used is the third one down and also the same as the OP was thinking of selling so I know they are great basses and he should definitely keep it 🙂

20220707_224438.thumb.jpg.dc8b5d66bb1fe6c7c1eedb9ef791701e.jpg

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Linus27 said:

No problem, I'll send you a link to the thread I posted on here where you can have a listen. Let me know what you think. The bass I used is the third one down and also the same as the OP was thinking of selling so I know they are great basses and he should definitely keep it 🙂

20220707_224438.thumb.jpg.dc8b5d66bb1fe6c7c1eedb9ef791701e.jpg

Noted! I'd love to hear the recording also? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beedster said:

Noted! I'd love to hear the recording also? 

No worries, here's a link to my original thread where I posted the songs 🙂 Recorded through an Ampeg PF20T and a Barefaced Two10 with a DI coming from the head and the cab also mic'd. The Precision was strung with Rotosound flats.

Would love to know what you think.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Linus27 said:

No worries, here's a link to my original thread where I posted the songs 🙂 Recorded through an Ampeg PF20T and a Barefaced Two10 with a DI coming from the head and the cab also mic'd. The Precision was strung with Rotosound flats.

Would love to know what you think.

Great playing and great tone mate, thanks for sharing 👍

• Like 1