Why become a member? ×

Pfretzschner

Blartfactor10

The "foam" they use for this isn't like packing foam, or even the 'pluck & shape' hard foam that you get in flight cases and similar. This is a far more rubbery extruded stuff, higher density, much greater tensile strength.

It's designed to be easily removed and replaced at will, but the little curlicues at each end of the 'f' are inevitably a weak spot. Once installed, my feeling is to just leave them in there.

• Thanks 1

I’d be thinking about making a silicone mould easy enough to get the materials and then casting some with a nice flange and grab handle on 

this stuff if you want fairly flexible would do the trick 

7C4D4C25-5EC7-4A1A-B335-2954FEE1056C.thumb.jpeg.de31624c64baceb96fd23b7913c1ce7b.jpeg

or PX60 if you want it less flexible 

you can also add pigment to choose your colour 

Edited by Bunion

4 hours ago, Blartfactor10 said:

Well done Beedster, an actual bargain IMO, mines a round back with a deuce bridge and yes, it sounds different to a carved/ply bass but with a bit of work, (F hole foam) and some common sense you can get them to sound pretty much in the ball park. If you have any questions about my experience with my Pfretzschners just pm me 😉

That’s very kind of you @Blartfactor10, I suspect I will be a regular name in your PM inbox 👍

6 minutes ago, Bunion said:

I’d be thinking about making a silicone mould easy enough to get the materials and then casting some with a nice flange and grab handle on 

this stuff if you want fairly flexible would do the trick 

7C4D4C25-5EC7-4A1A-B335-2954FEE1056C.thumb.jpeg.de31624c64baceb96fd23b7913c1ce7b.jpeg

or PX60 if you want it less flexible 

you can also add pigment to choose your colour 

Thanks mate, in the good old days we simply used socks 😀

Regarding feedback, as per @Happy Jack's question above, I can only remember us having trouble once in a pub in WGC, when we set up with our powerful MarkAudio PA and a complete set of floor wedges for monitoring. One of the wedges necessarily had to be pointing directly at the oildrum ali DB. 🙄

We don't set up like that now - Jack's monitoring is a lot subtler and, cleverly, a lot higher (on a tripod, behind him, at head height!). Also, I'm now pretty good at fighting feedback by throwing the full sound-engineering bag of tricks at it. 😉

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Regarding feedback, as per @Happy Jack's question above, I can only remember us having trouble once in a pub in WGC, when we set up with our powerful MarkAudio PA and a complete set of floor wedges for monitoring. One of the wedges necessarily had to be pointing directly at the oildrum ali DB. 🙄

We don't set up like that now - Jack's monitoring is a lot subtler and, cleverly, a lot higher (on a tripod, behind him, at head height!). Also, I'm now pretty good at fighting feedback by throwing the full sound-engineering bag of tricks at it. 😉

Does that bag of tricks include a feedback destroyer like the Feedback Ferret? I've got one of these, but havent got around to trying it on double bass. I find the notch filter on my pre-amp is usually good enough at stopping it.

• Like 1

Just now, pete.young said:

Does that bag of tricks include a feedback destroyer like the Feedback Ferret? I've got one of these, but havent got around to trying it on double bass. I find the notch filter on my pre-amp is usually good enough at stopping it.

No, it includes gain, volume, compression or lack of them, EQ work and a by now quite well trained pair of ears. :)

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, pete.young said:

My lot are keen to use that tech on my DB, I'd be keen to know how many people are using it successfully on DB, my gut feel has always been to adopt the @Silvia Bluejay approach?

57 minutes ago, Beedster said:

My lot are keen to use that tech on my DB, I'd be keen to know how many people are using it successfully on DB, my gut feel has always been to adopt the @Silvia Bluejay approach?

Chris, I have a feedback destroyer which I *think* used to be @Happy Jack's which is not in use any more, if you'd like me to send more details over?

26 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Luckily enough, feedback turns out to be a renewable resource so all this wanton 'feedback destruction' does not represent a problem for humanity's long-term future. :ph34r:

I've taken a more benevolent approach now and release it back into the wild....

• Haha 2