Why become a member? ×

Bass to travel with (on Ryanair)...

Muzz

6 hours ago, Len_derby said:

For a one-off concert have you considered sourcing a bass out there? Either through loan, hire or buy and then resell. From what you’ve said above about only you and the singer travelling there must presumably be some technical and musical infrastructure in place out there for the concert, and maybe the rest of the band? Therefore people around  likely to have a bass or can access one easily.

It’s the solution I went for playing in the Netherlands and I’ve done similar in return for bands coming to the UK. 

Yes, there will be infrastructure there - our drummer’s Italian, and it’s his home town and musical friends who are organising, and we’ve been invited to play. I was rather hoping not to impose and to play something of mine out there, tho…

9 hours ago, uncle psychosis said:

Surely buying a £38 return ticket is going to be more economical than buying a whole new special bass?? 

Would be, but the dates I'm looking at (April, exact date TBA), the tickets are nearer £150...

I played in Crete a few years ago. We were still in the EU at the time

I took the neck off my P bass and put both bits in my suitcase.

Reassembled when I arrived at my hotel, no problem

Did the same going home

You shouldn't have any customs problems but make sure you have proof of ownership, perhaps the UK receipt, if you still have it

Sorry, I'm a bit too late to this conversation, but as an ex-owner of a Hondo Alien, I wouldn't consider it to a be an adequate replacement in any way for the instruments listed in your signature. 

Firstly it's short scale which might be a problem if your are only used to playing 34" scale basses.

Secondly the hardware - particular the bridge and machine heads - are poor quality. I had to replace the ones on mine with the proper Schaller equivalents as the original items were actually disintegrating!

Finally if the version you are getting is one with a aluminium neck (there are supposedly some with wooden necks although I've never seen one) I would be very wary of taking the neck off, as the aluminium is rather soft and the threads for the bolts are prone to stripping. I never took the neck off mine, but the threads for both of the bolts holding the string retainer in place had stripped and they had to be epoxied into place to hold the strings in place. I wouldn't fancy doing the same with the neck bolts and expect the instrument to hold together under string tension. Be VERY careful!

Personally I'd prefer to take my chances with whatever could be borrowed/hired once I got to the gig.

Edited by BigRedX

My experience FWIW. I flew to Spain last week. Bought a seat for the bass- an old Aria Precise- which was cheaper than putting it in the hold. £41 vs £50 and of course it stayed with me at all times. Shockingly straightforward, nobody batted an eyelid at security, on the plane, etc etc. There are instructions on how to book a seat for a guitar on the Ryanair website. I had no trouble with customs at all. There should be no need for a carnet with just a bass, as this comes under your  'personal belongings' allowance. 

Yeah, if I was travelling the usual time of year we go (October), I'd book a seat like a shot and take one of my good basses (I've paid £36 return for a seat before), but this is a one-off Charity gig, and in late April the tickets are £150-ish...

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...