Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hipshot bass xtenders

ReeV0

Does anyone know what's going on here? I was 99.9% sure that I had purchased correctly, but when it arrived, it didn't fit...

The shop is certain they sent me the right one and have told me to contact Hipshot, but they never reply to emails. I don't want to drill the headstock and it is very expensive for me to ship it back as they're in the US :(

I ordered:

Hipshot 20665B HE6 - 1/2"

https://www.pitbullaudio.com/hipshot-20665b-he6-1-2-ultralite-bass-xtender-y-key-bass-side-black.html

The bass currently has these installed:

Hipshot Licensed Ultralite Bass Tuning Machine 20655KB - 1/2"

https://hipshotproducts.com/collections/bass-tuning/products/hb6-1-2-ultralite-licensed-bass-tuning-machine?variant=43376778632

image.png.aa3ce332e488ec81480c2d57f2fde7f6.png

Does anyone know why the Xtender is too big?

20230107_134648.jpg

20230107_134542.jpg

20230107_134510.jpg

20230107_134442.jpg

20230107_134012.jpg

20230107_134054.jpg

Edited by ReeV0
  • Like 1

If you were sent a tuner that is not 1/2" then demand the shop take it back and send you the correct one. You ordered a 1/2" tuner, you don't have a 1/2" tuner, it is up to the shop to sort it out.

Do you have the packaging it came in? What does that say?

• Like 2

I think it might be down to the very annoying fact that the 1/2" USA vs 1/2" licensed actually fit different headstock holes:

"The 1/2" USA Ultralite fits an 11/16" (17mm) headstock hole, while the 1/2" Licensed Ultralite fits a 5/8" (16mm) headstock hole."

https://hipshot.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020825572-What-s-the-difference-between-Licensed-and-USA-Ultralite-tuning-machines-

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1

It's a 1/2", but SumOne is right ,which I just found out myself! How infuriating of Hipshot...

So if it's anything like the Skyline, I need to buy an adapter >:(

https://hipshot.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021168871-Which-Xtender-fits-a-Lakland-Skyline-Bass-

"Most Lakland Skyline Basses use our Licensed 1/2" Ultralite tuning machine, which fits a 5/8" (16mm) peghead hole. Our 1/2" Ultralite Xtender is designed to fit an 11/16" (17.5mm) headstock hole. However, we offer a special 5/8" adapter nut that allows it to work seamlessly with the Skyline."

https://hipshotproducts.com/products/adapter-nuts-and-bushings?variant=12797827285091

Postage from Hipshot is $65, for a $4 part. Does anyone know of any substitute I could use?

10 hours ago, SumOne said:

I think it might be down to the very annoying fact that the 1/2" USA vs 1/2" licensed actually fit different headstock holes:

"The 1/2" USA Ultralite fits an 11/16" (17mm) headstock hole, while the 1/2" Licensed Ultralite fits a 5/8" (16mm) headstock hole."

https://hipshot.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020825572-What-s-the-difference-between-Licensed-and-USA-Ultralite-tuning-machines-

So there's two different 1/2" models, neither of which is 1/2"?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, SumOne said:

When I was a kid, 1/2" was the same as 8/16" and 4/8".  The issue seems to be that they're going off shaft diameters rather than the bushings. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, velvetkevorkian said:

So there's two different 1/2" models, neither of which is 1/2"?

I think so. Its confusing they are both called 1/2" but actually fit headstock holes of 11/16" and 5/8". Also would be a lot simpler if they just used metric. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ReeV0 said:

Thanks, I couldn't see it on their website so have emailed them. I just wondered if it was possibly a common part that I could get anywhere (not necessarily by Hipshot)

Low End Lobster wrapped carpet tape around his. As long as you use something that means the machine head isn't going to wobble about then you could use pretty much anything, I believe.

If a hole is too big then plumbers tale is perfect for wrapping the bushing. But if the hole is too small / tuner too big then without drilling it is not going to fit.

I never order hipshot stuff direct from them. The shipping is a nightmare. I just put an order in with Bass Direct. It gets added to their next usual order so it can take a while, but it's a lot cheaper, and it can be returned to the shop if there's a problem.

• Like 1

First of all, I'm surprised that you say that Hipshot never reply to emails, I've emailed them plenty of times and have always had timely and helpful replies, perhaps I caught them on good days. Speaking of whom, when I asked them about packing out holes for a slightly sloppy fit, they recommended HVAC tape. However, I'm a lazy tightwad and used masking instead, worked a treat.

I once fitted an extender to a Rickenbacker 4003. Hipshot didn't make one as a direct replacement at the time, but suggested one that would match aesthetically, but might need some fettling - it did. I had to ream out the hole a tiny bit, which I did by wrapping a suitably sized dowel with sandpaper and kept adding more layers of sandpaper until it was just right.

In terms of your current dilemma, the supplier shouldn't be asking you to contact Hipshot anyway, your 'contract' is with them, so it's down to them to do the contacting/resolving.

Edited by ezbass

Unfortunately the supplier didn't do anything wrong, I just thought that the Licenced Hipshot 1/2" tuner would naturally be the same as the USA Hipshot 1/2" tuner... not imagining there would be 1mm difference. I really don't want to enlarge the hole in the headstock of my ATK, it's a lovely bass.