Why become a member? ×

Shipping to ireland from the UK

lidl e

I stand to be corrected but if I have a parcel containing several pedals sent from London to my mate in Northern Ireland, there will be no import charges as both areas are within the UK.

I could then then drive for a couple of hours from the Republic of Ireland to my mate in N.I., pick up the parcel and travel back to the Republic, pedals in hand, without the imposition of taxes, as there is free movement of goods between both jurisdictions and all the above is quite legal.

Edited by leroydiamond
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, leroydiamond said:

I stand to be corrected but if I have a parcel containing several pedals sent from London to my mate in Northern Ireland, there will be no import charges as both areas are within the UK.

I could then then drive for a couple of hours from the Republic of Ireland to my mate in N.I., pick up the parcel and travel back to the Republic, pedals in hand, without the imposition of taxes, as there is free movement of goods between both jurisdictions and all the above is quite legal.

Ill meet ya in Belfast!

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, leroydiamond said:

Not quite. The honest declaration of the final destination should be made by the sender and, in this case, any tariffs should be collected upon arrival in NI.

Welcome to the complexities of the NI Protocol.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Not quite. The honest declaration of the final destination should be made by the sender and, in this case, any tariffs should be collected upon arrival in NI.

Welcome to the complexities of the NI Protocol.

Let's not get into all that!

All i want is a ripply falls bass. Is that too much to ask?

Edited by lidl e
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Doctor J said:

I'm sure somewhere there's a crestfallen civil servant asking "All I want is these bastids to pay their tax, is that too much to ask?

Perhaps said civil servant could channel his existential rage into catching the billionaire tax dodgers, rather than a bloke trying to buy a used box of knobs.

• Like 5

On 04/01/2023 at 17:15, Aidan63 said:

Irish customs seem to have chilled out a lot in the last 12 months, doubt they are bothered about collecting a bit of vat on individual used goods, they probably realised being heavy handed was slowing traffic clearing the ports and airports, wasting staff time and reducing visitors, better to have visitors paying however many euros a pint of the black stuff is now than not. Mind they are on the ball for VAT scamming men in vans and throw the book at them and heaven help you if you run foul of the revenue in any meaningful way, they are way more powerful than the police over there.

Charging vat on used goods is wrong, and costs so much work and grief, and quite probably doesn't pay for itself, I would love to see the figures, but the collection fees being charged by the shipping companies will be making for a nice bonus for the top management I bet. It would be really interesting to go over the books of the parcel companies and work out the full impact on revenue and costs, and work out the cost of the delays, and the difference it's making to the balance of payments and gdp, a nice bit of forensic accounting for someone at the Treasury's Phd no doubt.

Ahh Ireland has let Apple off $13 billion of tax, according to the EU. It's a a national sport sanctioned at the highest levels of government 😆

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, leroydiamond said:

Not anymore. The European Court ruling  overturned that of the Commision. 

Going to appeal. The Commission hasn't given up yet. 

But if little Ireland does win against the mighty EU (and good luck to the Irish!) then they'll be happily continuing as a corporate tax haven for a while yet 😄

Edited by Al Krow

20 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Going to appeal. The Commission hasn't given up yet. 

But if little Ireland does win against the mighty EU (and good luck to the Irish!) then they'll be happily continuing as a corporate tax haven for a while yet 😄

And all quite legal and above board. Feck it!. I am off to the UK to get a pedal:ph34r:

• Like 2

On 07/01/2023 at 12:35, Dad3353 said:

This is incorrect. See here ...

I wonder is this document referring to registered businesses as opposed to private individual. In the thread bellow, some basschatters refer to sending goods to Northern Ireland without any hitches and no different than sending to mainland UK

Edited by leroydiamond