Why become a member? ×

This Royal Mail strike is really something....

lidl e

10 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

The mail system is in chaos, your postie is just the tip of a very large iceberg which cannot cope with the demands placed on it.

Yep. Royal Mail has been asset stripped. Many main post offices have been closed and replaced with mini post offices in supermarkets, etc. Those post office buildings, which are often in prime high street locations, can now be sold off. Staffing levels are being slashed and pay and working conditions for staff are under the hammer. Hardly surprising those staff are not happy.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Yep. Royal Mail has been asset stripped. Many main post offices have been closed and replaced with mini post offices in supermarkets, etc. Those post office buildings, which are often in prime high street locations, can now be sold off. Staffing levels are being slashed and pay and working conditions for staff are under the hammer. Hardly surprising those staff are not happy.

Agree, the selling of the main post offices to my recall started in the late 80s/early 90s (my first experience of this was ‘91) and has continued since then at a steady flow even after Royal Mail - who until 2012 owned The Post Office - were sold. The Post Office since 2012 owned wholly by government and no longer any part of Royal Mail.

Edited by Lozz196

On the flip side, I keep reading about them being overworked etc, we have a postman collect the mail from work everyday. His allotted collection time is 4pm, I've yet to see him arrive after 3.30pm! He sits in his van playing on his phone for at least half an hour before collecting the post. Hard to find sympathy for those like him who clearly are not overworked in any way. I do appreciate that he could be a small minority but still isn't great for the image they are trying to portray!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Tim2291 said:

On the flip side, I keep reading about them being overworked etc, we have a postman collect the mail from work everyday. His allotted collection time is 4pm, I've yet to see him arrive after 3.30pm! He sits in his van playing on his phone for at least half an hour before collecting the post. Hard to find sympathy for those like him who clearly are not overworked in any way. I do appreciate that he could be a small minority but still isn't great for the image they are trying to portray!

Indeed, he should be flogged...

What a level of petty mindedness you have there.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, chris_b said:

After chatting to my postman I discovered the PO wants to switch all deliveries to van owning contractors, who will undoubtedly be on minimum hourly wage.

I can sympathize with the guys who are striking for their jobs.

Nobody wants to see anybody losing their jobs! My comment was more pointing out the fact that there are people within the structure who a clearly using their time inefficiently, that time could be put to better use helping in the other areas of the business reducing the workload on their burnt out colleagues!

18 minutes ago, Tim2291 said:

... He sits in his van playing on his phone for at least half an hour before collecting the post...

It may well be a different story, there. Pretty much all the post these days has to be entered into and checked off on 'phone app thingies; our own postie (a lovely bright spark of a lady...) has to sit in the van scanning stuff, and sending out 'Your parcel is arriving..!' and 'Your parcel has been delivered..!' nonsense. They're not playing Tetris, nor chatting on-line; just filling the ether with 'information', imposed upon them by 'Those That Know'. S'not an easy job, I'd say. :friends:

• Like 11

Let’s all remember that the strikes affecting the transmission of mail are due to Royal Mail employees striking, and nothing to do with any employee of Post Office Ltd.

Although there is currently a dispute with Post Office Ltd with some members also striking this dispute is nothing to do with the transmission of mail as they don’t deal with this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lozz196 said:

Let’s all remember that the strikes affecting the transmission of mail are due to Royal Mail employees striking, and nothing to do with any employee of Post Office Ltd.

Although there is currently a dispute with Post Office Ltd with some members also striking this dispute is nothing to do with the transmission of mail as they don’t deal with this.

One day I will understand, but today is not that day. :/

• Haha 2

"Clap for the nurses..."

Then give them a pay cut and try and demonise them in the eyes of the public for protesting about their conditions. Meanwhile, the NHS rendered almost dysfunctional (that's the objective) and many many unnecessary deaths.

Yes, a Pathocracy. No conscience, no shame whatsoever.

The products of capitalism. 

• Like 5

Royal Mail is in decline because the number of letters being delivered has fallen off a cliff and there is lots of competition in the parcels market, Post Offices were closed down because welfare payments are now made directly into banks accounts instead of being made in cash over the PO counter which was their main reason people used them.

The strikes are the fault of the government, they don't want an end to the strikes otherwise they would negotiate. They are deliberately extending the strikes, hoping that the general public will blame the workers, and thus provide the excuse for privatisation.

The effects of which, they care nothing about. Nothing at all.

• Like 5