Why become a member? ×

Hiromi Uehara's Sonicbloom (Tony Grey)

AdamWoodBass

Ok so whos heard of Hiromi? If you haven't, sort it out man! Some really incredible and intense jazz fusion with some amazing players. Obviously my interest in the band came from Tony Grey, what a player!!! My problem with the Berklee graduates is that after watching/listening to them I just want to go to Berklee! Anyone got a spare 20 odd grand a year for the course fees that they wouldnt mind passing on to me?! I'll take a cheque!!! :)

This should give you a pretty good idea of what they're about:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00fKuTD52gQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00fKuTD52gQ[/url]

Enjoy!

Ad

She's at Ronnie Scotts London next Mon-Wed I believe.
Definitely a talent on piano, prodigious technique but not really to my taste. Ditto Tony Grey.
I've got the CD Brain. The first track (Kung Fu World Champion) is extremely annoying with the crappy keyboard sound.
The rest is very good (and it's got Anthony Jackson so double Bass Bonus!)
It's scary how good she will be when she's 35!

She´s good. No, strike that, she´s really good. They all are. But I don´t dig the music. Kind of fusion-era Chick Corea and Herbie Hancock thrown into a blender with some prog rock, drum´n´bass, classical and a line of coke. :) Technically impressive but musically not very interesting to me.

[quote name='Huwberry' post='470491' date='Apr 23 2009, 11:13 AM']I really love some of her tunes and her ridiculous playing, but I'm not so sure about her band. They're definitely very 'Berklee' to my ears - technically very good, but they seem a bit characterless to me. Would still like to see live though![/quote]

I know exactly what you mean about the Berklee thing. I've noticed that they all tend to have this "thing" about them although I'm not exactly sure what that "thing" is!

XB26354, I noticed they're playing live and I'm a tad gutted as I only found out yesterday so I won't be able to go! If I'd have known about it I'd have rearranged my life in order to see them, sucks!

Edited by AdamWoodBass

You bunch of nitpicking swines!

Shes 'kin brilliant.

I love Kung Fu World Champ I & II, because of the daft keyboard, cos I've never seen anyone else play that kind of thing with that kind of sound. I've heard it sequenced up but not played. Totally blinding!

I get very bored by her more conventional smooth jazz stuff though, tedious as....

...but I'd say that about almost all smooth jazz I'm afraid (the joy of being a jazz philistine :))

The band kick booty too IMO

Very impressive but definitely lacking vibe for my liking. Similar to my view of Return to Forever. Not that far removed from Tribal Tech but without some of the balls. Not a patch on the Mahavishnu or Headhunters at their best. And I don't think it's to do with the playing, then can all obviously play, but compositionally it seems rather lacking.

I do wonder if the peril of going to Berklee is you end up playing for so many muso audiences that you start to lose touch with what actually moves people?

Alex

I've been a Hiromi fan for a long time now - Tony's a great bassist and very cool guy (from Newcastle as it happens) her albums are very good the best for me being Spiral and the second from last Sonic Bloom on with The Fuze on guitar - her debut Brain like Mark said is very good as well. Live it's a lot more exciting than on CD, they tend to sound a but over produced - but there are two cracking new live DVDs coming out soon that are well worth checking out too.

M

IMO Hiromi is excellent. From my own perspective, I really like her compositions, the technicality inspires and impresses me whilst the pieces stay musical, and regardless of the song, you know that if it's a Hiromi piece it's going to be well out of the ordinary. Her originality in composition also gives me great inspiration to try different things, and gives me a lot of good ideas.

+1 about the overproduction on the albums. In comparison to the live vids (particularly Time Out) they are seriously lacking in groove, feel and tone.

Fuze was a great addition and added a lot to atmosphere of the band, but his recorded tones are often poor. I greatly prefer Tony over Anthony on the Brain album. Martin Valihora is on my list of favourite drummers; the guy has immense feel and his fills and groove are uber-tasty. My main criticism of Hiromi is that she only has two modes: Intense or Off. No such thing as a truly downbeat, chilled Hiromi piece. Although Green Tea Farm has garnered a lot of praise from my non-muso friends.

Mark

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='470831' date='Apr 23 2009, 03:23 PM']What sickens me most is that someone can have a [b]spare[/b] Fodera behind them!![/quote]

Yeah Tony has four of them, which is kind of a lot, the irony is the two in the video are tuned E to C, and B to G, but deciding he liked the full range of both B and C he got his ebony 6 string...! And he also has a fretless, and a rather nice 6 string signature Yamaha, alright for some eh?

:) M

I've already emailed him about lessons! Tbh I'd just like the opportunity to chat to him about his style and concept of melody, I can't fault it! He can do all the crazy fusion stuff when he needs to but he has this natural ability to play just whats needed where some other big name players would go nuts and kill the vibe. For example Tom Kennedy would suit the technicality of the band but I just can't dig his solos (and I really have tried to!) As Janek said a few years ago on bassworld "what happened to the groove Tom?!" I love the stuff with Anthony Jackson too, if I'm not mistaken he's on "Another Mind" and "Brain" which are both superb albums and I think he makes an appearance on "Spiral" too.

To go one further than urb he's also got 2 NYC Sadowsky's, a Ken Smith Black Tiger and a Yamaha EUB type thing! I think it's already been said but it's alright for some lol!

Ad

£50 an hour??

Nice to see he's giving back to the bass playing community........at Berklee Prices!!

I kinda like what she's doing, amazing technique, and some parts of the song were pretty cool (I like some plinky plonky noise). But am definitly getting the 'Berklee' vibe from the others.
I think its the law that all Berklee bass players play Fodera or Sadowsky isn't it? lol

The most interesting thing he does, to my ears, is from 6:40 - 8:00, but thats just because the bass sound is cool!
It just sounds like million miles an hour solo'ing, with the only really nice melody from him at 2:54 or so through to 3:00!.

But then i'm not a massive fusion-fast-as-f*ck-unison-lines, he grooves well, but then so do a lot of people.
Plays in ways that I will only dream of playing, but then, it doesn't do anything for me :)

But I do like her, she's a bit wacky

Si

Edited by Sibob

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' post='470389' date='Apr 23 2009, 09:01 AM']Ok so whos heard of Hiromi? If you haven't, sort it out man! Some really incredible and intense jazz fusion with some amazing players. Obviously my interest in the band came from Tony Grey, what a player!!! My problem with the Berklee graduates is that after watching/listening to them I just want to go to Berklee! Anyone got a spare 20 odd grand a year for the course fees that they wouldnt mind passing on to me?! I'll take a cheque!!! :rolleyes:

This should give you a pretty good idea of what they're about:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00fKuTD52gQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00fKuTD52gQ[/url]

Enjoy!

Ad[/quote]
I have been banging on about her for two years now and nobodys interested! :)
Her Time control album is SUPERB and should be compulsory listening for ALL musicians. :D

[quote name='Mike' post='471253' date='Apr 24 2009, 06:55 AM']NYC pros charge $100 an hour....so £50 seems a pretty decent deal for me. For a world class player![/quote]
I'd consider it fairly cheap in all honesty, bearing in mind that local teachers would probably charge upwards of £20.

Would you rather have a driving lesson from the local teacher or an hour with Schumacher/Hakkinen/Mansell/Prost, etc for twice the price??

I'd agree on the price of the lessons, I charge £22.50 an hour which is basically the going rate round here. Some of the schools and music shops charge more like £25 to £28 an hour. Also when I do any teaching for The Rock Project I make £22.50 an hour. It's not a bad wage but only if you can get the hours which unfortunately is really tough cos kids bassically just want to play guitar or drums and as soon as you get a beginner bass student they quit when they get their first blister!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6pgM-NVfWg&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6pgM-NVfWg...feature=related[/url]

This well good.

I totally agree about getting the hours/lessons when teaching. I find that most of my pupils are either under 18, or over 30.
Mabye it's not cool to have lessons when you're 18-30. :)

[quote name='steve-soar' post='471744' date='Apr 24 2009, 05:48 PM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6pgM-NVfWg&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6pgM-NVfWg...feature=related[/url]

This well good.

I totally agree about getting the hours/lessons when teaching. I find that most of my pupils are either under 18, or over 30.
Mabye it's not cool to have lessons when you're 18-30. :)[/quote]

I'm 25 :rolleyes: