Why become a member? ×

NBD - USA Peavey TL-Six.

binky_bass

I picked up this rather nice Peavey USA made TL-Six today. For a 30ish year old bass, it's in immaculate condition - no marks anywhere except a teeny tiny little scuff on the very tip of the headstock, other than that, you could pass it off a new. 

It needed a near full 360 turn of the truss to take out the relief in the neck and the Kahler bridge wasn't very well spaced, I've moved it to 17mm spacing. 

All in, a rather tasty beast in fairly astonishing condition! Came with all the original case candy and the original hard case too. 

20221218_163456.thumb.jpg.cbbefe8bd5ddf3aa479ed888c1a4f0b9.jpg

20221218_182302.thumb.jpg.1b64f2b22e8b1b8bef339fd26bea0a76.jpg

20221218_182333.thumb.jpg.90ae1aba4dbe1c0690ef87ada8742d91.jpg

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 7

• binky_bass changed the title to NBD - USA Peavey TL-Six.
9 minutes ago, velvetkevorkian said:

How have I never seen one of these before? Wow. The string spacing makes it look like 6 strings on a 5 string neck...

They're not super common! Mine is from 1992, so not basses you see much of these days. Its VERY similar in feel and overall vibe to a Yamaha TRBJP6.

The Kahler bridge does allow for super tight spacing, if that's your thing, but it can also go to 17.5/18mm as a max. 

• Like 1

I’ve played a few and come close to buying a couple of times. Very solid and high quality manufacture. Tim Landers was hardly a shabby player so not bad as a signature model and pretty subtle  (no massive logo all over the headstock). They go pretty cheaply nowadays in spite of being rare. I would snap one up if I see one - remind me a bit of first edition Yamaha TRBs, minus the piezo. I believe this was the precursor to the Cirrus line?

6 hours ago, Hellzero said:

As you know it Russ, I own a first generation TL-Six in not such an immaculate condition: amazing basses indeed.

IMG_20221119_142442.thumb.jpg.6cc567070a57530b6d433ac8319dda71.jpg

IMG_20221119_143821.thumb.jpg.50c37126da7f3cdc58b035835e4f10fc.jpg

Ive got an 89 Rudy Sarzo signature that looks a lot like that but red and 4 string.

@BassApprentice - honestly, buy it. I've had the good fortune to play and own a sizable cross section of 'boutique' basses and this Peavey is blowing some of them out the water. It is VERY close to Fodera territory in terms of sound, very articulate, very crisp - piano like almost. The B is superb. The build quality is amazing too, a slight curve to the body (like Spector/Warwick but a little less pronounced), solid maple wings, graphite reinforced neck, dead solid truss rod (you'll need the Peavey specific truss key though). Nice thin Conklin-esque neck. I'm a little bit taken back on just how good this bass is. 

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

This is tempting....

Let me know if you give in to temptation 😃

Sold my 1st generation TL-5 to a lad in Hungary so I'm still got the 2nd gen (right hand one in the photo above).

4 hours ago, lidl e said:

Peavey US build is impressive.

Some was, some wasn't.

Owned nearly 60 Peavey basses, here's most of them . There was a lot of penny pinching went on. 

1839602963_Peavey51club.jpg.979587a740dcc49988075ff05cab174d.jpg

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

Let me know if you give in to temptation 😃

Sold my 1st generation TL-5 to a lad in Hungary so I'm still got the 2nd gen (right hand one in the photo above).

Some was, some wasn't.

Owned nearly 60 Peavey basses, here's most of them . There was a lot of penny pinching went on. 

1839602963_Peavey51club.jpg.979587a740dcc49988075ff05cab174d.jpg

Is that a white g bass i see?

I had the space sparkle one but sold it a few years ago.

2 hours ago, lidl e said:

Is that a white g bass i see?

No.

The White Peaveys are 2nd & 3rd gen Furys, DynaBass, Foundation & 5 string Foundation and finally a MIDIbass; almost out of sight is a white Void PXD.

My G-bass is black sparkle, front row at the couch between 2nd gen Fury and 4 string Foundation.

• Like 1