Why become a member? ×

Amazing Lakland bass review.

bubinga5

WOW ive seen some stinky poo reviews before but these guys are literally on drugs. What are they talking about.?  4 coil Lakland MM pickup. I want one. That guy on the right is either drunk or has just taken a hit from a bottle bag of skunk. 

Edited by bubinga5
  • Haha 3

We have got used to some pretty slick bass reviews on YouTube over the last few years: first impressions, how it feels, hardware and electronics, tone...with fingers, pick, slapped, all with set adjustments to the EQ or tone knob and then a conclusion. Lobster, Johnny Dibble, The bass channel etc.  They are all amateurs, but very professional amateurs.

Yandas Music is a shop in Nebraska, which probably makes Norfolk look sophisticated.  The bloke with the Liverpool cap is a local Christian Pastor, just in case you were wondering why you had never heard of him.  They really could do with planning their content before they shoot any more videos.  I know I like the look of the jazz basses but I have no idea what they sound like.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

WOW ive seen some stinky poo reviews before but these guys are literally on drugs. What are they talking about.?  4 coil Lakland MM pickup. I want one. That guy on the right is either drunk or has just taken a hit from a bottle bag of skunk. 

Bartolini has been making Quad Coil (4 coils if you prefer) pickups in a few different formats including MM for decades...

And the Lakland is using one as stated here in their presentation:

https://www.lakland.com/product/usa-series-55-94/

Fact is it's indeed a long boring useless video for sure and the guy on the right is not 100% clean.

That said, the Andertons videos are as useless especially when Nathan starts turning all the knobs of what they are testing just to make sure they ... turn (I have no other explanation 🤦🏻‍♂️ ), but he and Lee are both excellent players, which makes a difference.

14 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

There is a quad coil. Its called 2 hum cancelling jazzbass pickups stuck together.its like calling a chicken a fancy duck. 

So each humcancelling pup has 2 coils and there are 2 of each of these pups in a case... ergo there are 4 coils. 

They are calling it exactly what it is; a QUAD coil pick-up.  :/   

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

So each humcancelling pup has 2 coils and there are 2 of each of these pups in a case... ergo there are 4 coils. 

They are calling it exactly what it is; a QUAD coil pick-up.  :/   

Ive been totally out schooled. Thanks you for schooling me

5 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

There is a quad coil. Its called 2 hum cancelling jazzbass pickups stuck together.its like calling a chicken a fancy duck. 

Thanks for taking me for an idiot. :hi:

So, if you want the explanations, it's not what you wrote as the 4 coils are especially designed to have the two P-Bass pickups types, plus any J-Bass configuration (parallel, series, outer or inner) or anything always hum-cancelling plus the 4 coils wired in parallel or series, or 2 coils in parallel and 2 coils in series or the opposite, so a real 4 coils pickup, sorry.

These Quad Coil pickups are in fact very versatile and have ... 4 coils.

20 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Bartolini has been making Quad Coil (4 coils if you prefer) pickups in a few different formats including MM for decades...

I have a couple of Schaller Double Js from the 80s that are  the same, so not a new concept as you said. 

The SIMS pickups work the same they just have the electronic switching incorporated in them.

12 minutes ago, crazycloud said:

I have a couple of Schaller Double Js from the 80s that are  the same, so not a new concept as you said. 

The SIMS pickups work the same they just have the electronic switching incorporated in them.

Where did I say that it's a new concept?!? 🤔