Why become a member? ×

New guitar. A little advice would be nice.

horribleman

Hi all.

I've looked around at a few bass forums, and this seems to be the best for me, being in the UK, and it also looks like the community is intelligent :)

So, I'm getting a bass this weekend. I used to play guitar, but I always liked the bass (when it's audible).

I'm thinking of spending about £4-500, and I've phoned around several shops in my area.

I've found one shop that has a Fender precision '62 reissue made in Japan from the 80s that they say is mint. Obviously I need to go and play it and compare it, but in general should I expect this guitar to be superior to a new mexican precision bass?

I want a bass that looks pretty classic, so the Fenders are really that, I think.

What else should I give a try? I understand Ibanez and Yamaha do decent stuff at this pricepoint.

Give me a few tips to look for when trying a bass out too - I've played guitar for years and am OK, but I have only really noodled for a few minutes at a time on a mate's bass.

Thanks!!

I'd say play as many instruments as you can. You know roughly the "Look" you want, so go and have a listen to all the "sounds" that are available. You'll be amazed at the variety! You won't find two basses that sound the same. You just won't. And at the budget you've got available, the world, my friend, is your lobster! Enjoy! :)

You have a good budget there. You seem to have a fairly good idea already.
Things to think about: Scale length...shorter scale may be better if you play guitar already.
4or 5 string.....you did play guitar so you may miss a string or two.

You'll get lots of advice here,and you may even purchase a good'un from someone on this forum.

[quote name='horribleman' post='469906' date='Apr 22 2009, 07:18 PM']Hi all.

I've looked around at a few bass forums, and this seems to be the best for me, being in the UK, and it also looks like the community is intelligent :)[/quote]

Flattery will get you everywhere! :rolleyes: Welcome to BassChat!
Actually, you're right. It IS quite sensible in these parts.

As Hot Tub says- Try lots!

The 80's MIJ 62 RI Precision could be really good. Then again it may not!
There are some good (Modern) Squiers and MIM (Mexican) Fenders. Also seek out Fender Highway One models. They Retail at about £549, but you may get lucky!
Obviously, second-hand values put some American Fenders within your reach, but American still isn't a guarantee of brilliant quality.
Do you know any good, unbiased bassists? Take one along for a second opinion.
Otherwise, look for feel, tone and playability. Checks are largely the same as for guitars- Wonky necks, Shagged pots, loose hardware, poor fit & finish etc.
Hope this helps!

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='469911' date='Apr 22 2009, 07:23 PM']I'd say play as many instruments as you can.[/quote]

The only way you know what you want is from experience. The only way you get experience is to play! Also, buy with your ears and not with your eyes. If it sounds good it is good :)

£500 is a good price point, especially if you're thinking of buying used, i've had some really great basses off ebay and this forum (musicman SUB bass, fender reggie hamilton jazz bass, G&L tribute l-2000, warwick corvette $$), none of which i paid more than £430 for, and most of which i paid a fair bit less than that! And they really were great basses, so don't limit yourself to new basses.

Even new, you have a good choice, there's a lot more available now than there ever has been and you can get a lot more bang for your buck, and £500 can get you a very nice new bass. I won't name any brand names because now would probably be a bad time to become biased to certain brands, all i'll say it, try everything in your price range, and i mean everything. Don't just try the classic fender p's and j's, even if you don't intend to buy something, at least try it. And certainly don't buy the first thing you see! Just buy whatever looks, feels and sounds good to you. Even if it is a squier! They're making some nice basses these days!!

Above all, have fun and good luck! Nothing like buying new bass :)

[quote name='7string' post='470118' date='Apr 22 2009, 09:19 PM']The only way you know what you want is from experience. The only way you get experience is to play! Also, buy with your ears and not with your eyes. If it sounds good it is good :)[/quote]
I'd say looks are as important as sound and feel. I'd never look at a bass that i think is f*** ugly and think "hmm, i might buy that", would you? I'd be unhappy with a bass i don't like the look of. There's something out there for everyone.

[quote name='horribleman' post='469946' date='Apr 22 2009, 07:52 PM']Thanks for the advice!! I've been looking in the for sale section. I need to dig further![/quote]

My advice FWIW is DONT RUSH!

Unless you urgently need a bass for an upcoming gig then dont be rushed into the 'got to get one this weekend, money burning hole in pocket trip".....

You want to get one that you HAVE to pick up and noodle everytime you go near it rather than something that makes it feel like a chore. It sounds with your g'tar experience that you should have a fairly good sense of what you're after, so dont settle for 'its near enough' just because its in stock at your local shop. There is LOADS of really good 2ndhand stuff around at the min and thats all teh more reason for getting it right 1st time.

From your quick bit in the OP, sounds to me that a Highway One would tick your boxes and they are very capable basses but it could be a Jazz or a P...... theres soooo much choice....

Welcome aboard..... :)

Just a thought here - I was having an idle moment in a local store today & two pretty cheap basses literally blew me away...

1. Squier Classic Vibe Jazz in white with tort guard - If you think Squiers are cheap basses, think again. This thing has the glossed neck/board, excellent fit & finish, no earth hum, hi-mass bridge with brass saddles, lovely chrome work/frets & does the classic jazz sound sooo well that it's unbelievable it's only around £250.

2. Ibanez Jet King. Massive sound with loads of fundamental bass (more than a Precision) but still loads of tone with no muddiness. Great to play. Usual great Ibby fit & finish. Again, only £250.

My point? You don't have to spend £4-500 to get a decent new bass :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='470153' date='Apr 22 2009, 10:48 PM']Just a thought here - I was having an idle moment in a local store today & two pretty cheap basses literally blew me away...

1. Squier Classic Vibe Jazz in white with tort guard - If you think Squiers are cheap basses, think again. This thing has the glossed neck/board, excellent fit & finish, no earth hum, hi-mass bridge with brass saddles, lovely chrome work/frets & does the classic jazz sound sooo well that it's unbelievable it's only around £250.

2. Ibanez Jet King. Massive sound with loads of fundamental bass (more than a Precision) but still loads of tone with no muddiness. Great to play. Usual great Ibby fit & finish. Again, only £250.

My point? You don't have to spend £4-500 to get a decent new bass :)[/quote]

True dat. Especially since the OP hasn't mentioned whether or not he has an amp, and those things can get expensive, so saving a bit on the bass cost could be a nice thing.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='470147' date='Apr 22 2009, 10:42 PM']My advice FWIW is DONT RUSH!

Unless you urgently need a bass for an upcoming gig then dont be rushed into the 'got to get one this weekend, money burning hole in pocket trip".....

You want to get one that you HAVE to pick up and noodle everytime you go near it rather than something that makes it feel like a chore. It sounds with your g'tar experience that you should have a fairly good sense of what you're after, so dont settle for 'its near enough' just because its in stock at your local shop. There is LOADS of really good 2ndhand stuff around at the min and thats all teh more reason for getting it right 1st time.

From your quick bit in the OP, sounds to me that a Highway One would tick your boxes and they are very capable basses but it could be a Jazz or a P...... theres soooo much choice....

Welcome aboard..... :)[/quote]

+1 on that.

I was in a similar position in that I drifted from guitar to bass and had no idea how different the various basses are to play. For me it is in the neck - there is a world of difference in the way necks feel and play - width, depth, finish. I recommend going to a large music shop, try all they have hanging on the wall then buy secondhand via here (sorry large music shops). I did the first but got carried away and bought the one I liked the best new. I do still love it but could have got so much more for my dollar had I been patient.

I think this is particularly the case with amps, too, not just the instruments. I was advised to try as many as I could, and not in the shop environment as it is impossible to tell at shop volume levels. I was in too much of a rush, ignored the advice and, again, bought new without trying more and different things. Just 4 months later I am looking at taking a hit of a couple of hundred pounds on the value of my amp as I have now got something several miles better and need to sell the hastily bought one.

Generally speaking the guys here know tons and it is too valuable a resource to ignore. Even if it often degenerates into a bunfight over the detail...

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='horribleman' post='470373' date='Apr 23 2009, 08:36 AM']Yeah. I don't have a bass amp.

I doubt I'll ever gig, so it will be purely for practise.

Are Orange as good as their guitar counterparts?[/quote]

You mean Orange bass amps?

If you're talking real-deal, all-valve Orange, you're looking at some big dollar. Wouldn't be my first choice unless I had a lot of cash to lay down and it had to be really British-sounding gear, but that are brilliant at what they do. However logic dictates that if you're only throwing down a few hundred on a bass and you'll only play it at home, you're better off getting yourself something small, cheap and cheerful.

Hi, I wouldn't buy until I tried everything, and then I'd look in the Basschat For Sale section. My first bass would be (was) used, because you [i]will[/i] sell it on and you'd loose too much if you brought new!

On the other hand, £500 is a lot for a bass you might never gig! Have you thought about a Fender Squire Starter Pack as a first step? They come pretty cheap and hardly used on EBay, and there are currently several Squire Jazz and Precisions for less than £200. Good luck with your bass playing.