Why become a member? ×

NAD EBS HD350

la bam

I've always kind of wanted to do things different when it comes to gear. So EBS appeal to me.

Problem is though, they are hardly anywhere to test. Too expensive to take a chance on new and resale at the moment is pure chance.

I was interested in an amp that would mean I didnt need pedals, so I wanted a good clean sound, the ability to do growl / break up and a compressor. Tuner if possible, and comprehensive eq.

As luck has it one came up locally so after a bit of debate and putting in a bid I managed to get it. Bought blind with no test or playing through first.

I've tested it with my markbass traveller at it sounds SO rich!! Real old skool 'tone' for days.

The sweepable mids are really fantastic. It's so easy to dial in a great tone just with those. Boost the mids slightly then turn the eq dial until you get what you want. Lovely.

The bass is rich. Not sterile like some newer amps can be, but really room filling warmth.

The 'treble' is actually a higher mids and treble control combined which is perfect, and adding just a smidge gets you that clank if required, and taking off a bit smooths everything.

The character sound is deep and warm - not tried in a band situation yet, but isolated it sounds superb.

Theres also a drive dial which goes from solid state sound to a very convincing valve amp style. Again very nice and musical. It also keeps the lower bass frequencies unaffected so you keep definition.

The compressor is good and just evens out the strings when needed. Exactly what I want from a compressor.

The DI sounds good and also has an optional speaker sim that can be switched on or off to add a cab sound when sending to the desk.

Build quality is very solid, and its lightweight for such heft, about 9kg, not much more than a class d svt7.

Very, very impressed.

Just need some cabs now. Its runs to 2 ohms, so I'd be looking a cheap 4x10 to start I think.

EBS - get yourselves into some shops over here. Your amps are fantastic.

• Like 3

I have had a Fafner since 2009, still going strong. There is a big similarity in terms of the EQ between the Fafner (mk 1), the TD650 and the HD350 except that there is a 12AX7 tube which forms part of the drive circuit in the TD650 and Fafner. The Fafner is a hefty lump of an amp at about 440watts at 4 ohms it isn't massively more powerful than the HD350 which is more portable as well. Generally the HD350 is the most practical of the amps. I was going to buy one back in the day but bought the Fafner because I thought it looked really cool (still does). 

Not tried the class D amps but I would reckon that the EQ system will be similar as well to the older bigger amps so I would have not hesitation getting one of them. However while the Fafner is still trucking on I don't see the need. The 802 unfortunately is not in my price range (well it is, but it would risk divorce).

Edited by thodrik
  • Like 1

Not the HD350 but I recently bought a TD650 here a couple of months ago. I'm using it with a Vanderkley 2x12 and WOW, just WOW! 

I can honestly say that I've never had a sound so good and I've owned many 'quality' amps and cabs over the years. The drive, clarity and compression work so well and everything sounds so clear. I'm not a stranger to EBS gear. I owned a TD650 15 years ago along with EBS Proline 4x10 and 2x12 cabs and obviously the sound was huge but maybe the Vanderkley cabs are better? I just don't remember being so overwhelmed by the sound coming out of my speaker, or maybe I know how to set amps up better these days! Anyhow, great purchase and if you can give Vanderkley a try. 

• Like 1

The HD350 is a great amplifier! I've had the pleasure of reviewing most of the EBS amplifier range and there are certainly a few that particularly stick out as favourites, but you can't really go wrong with any of them. In fact, I have two sat here right now that I am reviewing for Bass Gear Magazine! So, keep your eyes peeled for those reviews.

The TD650 was in my top five amps of all time for many years and it only recently got bumped down the queue recently by none other than the 802. That is a wonderful piece of engineering! 

Congratulations with the purchase, they sound great turned up! 

• Like 3

On 09/12/2022 at 21:23, bigthumb said:

Not the HD350 but I recently bought a TD650 here a couple of months ago. I'm using it with a Vanderkley 2x12 and WOW, just WOW! 

I can honestly say that I've never had a sound so good and I've owned many 'quality' amps and cabs over the years. The drive, clarity and compression work so well and everything sounds so clear. I'm not a stranger to EBS gear. I owned a TD650 15 years ago along with EBS Proline 4x10 and 2x12 cabs and obviously the sound was huge but maybe the Vanderkley cabs are better? I just don't remember being so overwhelmed by the sound coming out of my speaker, or maybe I know how to set amps up better these days! Anyhow, great purchase and if you can give Vanderkley a try. 

Cheers I'll have a look at vanderkley if I get chance.

On 10/12/2022 at 12:46, Dood said:

The HD350 is a great amplifier! I've had the pleasure of reviewing most of the EBS amplifier range and there are certainly a few that particularly stick out as favourites, but you can't really go wrong with any of them. In fact, I have two sat here right now that I am reviewing for Bass Gear Magazine! So, keep your eyes peeled for those reviews.

The TD650 was in my top five amps of all time for many years and it only recently got bumped down the queue recently by none other than the 802. That is a wonderful piece of engineering! 

Congratulations with the purchase, they sound great turned up! 

Thanks. What cabs would you recommend with the ebs?

28 minutes ago, la bam said:

Thanks. What cabs would you recommend with the ebs?

There's plenty of options and sometimes it can be down to taste as every cabinet sounds different. They play a much larger part in the overall tone especially when we are dealing with say, amplifiers that are. supposed to be 'flat and uncoloured' as an example. What tone are you after? Something really baked in or are you wanting a more FRFR style experience? 

My recommendations would be what works for me live with the rest of my signal chain and might not fit what you are after. I'll help where possible though! I'm a HUGE fan of the Bergantino 12" ceramics I have at the moment, but I've used all sorts including stacks of Hartke 4.5XLs (when my back still liked me ha ha!) 

If you are wanting to stick with EBS for a matching rig, each of the three models of cabinets they sell bring their own points to the table. When I reviewed the Reidmar 750, I was sent a 4x10 classic. It was so loud the technical team upstairs from the soundproofed studio heard us. 

Interestingly, many years ago when I first fell in love with the TD650, it was paired with two Aguilar GS212 cabinets. A sound I would dearly love to hear again. 

• Like 1

Dood is correct - of course!

I find EBS cabs to pair excellently with EBS amp, particularly on the the bright control.

Interesting voicing on the EBS cabs too - they start quite high, the Prolines start at about 70Hz so filter out a lot of the flub naturally.

I leave my TD 650 at our rehearsal space.  Great amp.

Huge output but still crystal clear and each note beautifully defined in a dense hard rock mix.

• Like 1

On 09/12/2022 at 21:23, bigthumb said:

I had a HD350 and Vanderkley when we put on the first Herts Bash attended by Laurence Cottle who coincidentally had the same set up. 

• Like 1

For what it is worth I have been using the Fafner with a Mesa Powerhouse 6x10 and it is fairly tremendous. Heavy, impractical, but tremendous.

Prior to that I used it with Peavey-era Trace Elliot cabs, a 2x10 and latterly a 1x15. I have also used an HD350 with Ampeg cabinets and it was pretty good.

However I personally think that the EBS amps are better suited with modern cabs with either a flat response or good high range extension. So Vanderkley or Bergantino would be my choice if not the matching EBS cabs.  

• Like 2

On 11/12/2022 at 22:27, la bam said:

How did you like it?

Love Vanderkley - even though they are highly regarded I still think that they are under-rated. Great tonal palette, IMO one of the best brand of speakers available. 

I really shouldn't have sold the EBS - I've been keeping my eyes open for a combo ever since.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the 350hd out tonight at practice with the party band.

Hooked it up to the ashdown evo iv 8x10 in the room, which I normally use with the evo iv head.

I used my bass collection precision, with dimarzio pick ups and ernie ball cobalt flats.

Gees, what a combination that is! The head is SO warm and tuneful.

Nice and rich sound with the ability to really cut through if needed, but I preferred pretty much the flat eq, bit of compression, 50% drive and it was lovely. I usually have my head boosted in the mids, but there really was no need to with this one. Also, the parametric eq gives so much tone shaping. It's exactly what I wanted.

I prefer it in almost every way to the abm. It just kind of made the cab sing and want to turn it up and play. It was clearer but deeper (if that makes sense?).

Didnt get anywhere near a quarter volume, but that's to be expected with an 8x10.

Theres no way on earth I'm lugging round an 8x10 myself though, but a nice evo iv cab may be in the reckoning in the new year. They went together so well.

• Like 1