Why become a member? ×

Refret or new neck?

sirmuppet

Hi all. I have a Fender Precision Bass Special MIM from the deluxe series. It's one of the original ones from 2000 that were passive (see picture). I got this used in about 2012 for very cheap and the frets were pretty worn back then. Recently I've noticed a buzz on the A string around Frets 2 & 3. I've taken it to have this fixed by having a level and crowning done on the neck but this hasn't solved the problem. I was told the next option was a refret but that the bass would need sent out to have this done.

Since the bass isn't vintage or vastly high value it occured to me that it might be cheaper to buy another neck though this might leave me with a vastly different feeling and maybe sounding bass. 

So I'm torn as to what to do. I've never had a refret done and was wondering if any of you had some insight into this? I've had a look online but most of the posts I can find are those with vintage instruments which mine isn't (well not quite yet 😆).

IMG_5059.JPG

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve got the same bass from 1999 I think, if yours is anything like mine the necks are fantastic, if mine got to that stage I would have a refret 

More than likely is. For the first 2-3 years they were all passive. It should be a Jazz profile neck. Mine is glossy on the back. I also modded it to have rolled fingerboard edges which =just made it all the nicer.

It makes me feel a little better knowing you own the same bass and if were in the same position would refret. Just it would cost more for a neck or refret than what I originally paid (£220 I think) which is why I'm not sure which way to go with it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Old pic ,  it’s a maple board and jazz neck profile but the same model I think 

019DCA0D-865C-4A6B-8162-2CE7A56D74F9.jpeg

Nice! Yup, looks to be the same. They were offered with Rosewood or Maple. I always wanted mine to be maple but in the years of owning have come round to liking the rosewood more now. Also red and gold is the best colour combo (Iron Man!).

• Like 1

Do you put new tyres on your car even if it's an old cheap one, I guess, so why not refretting a bass you like and already customised when rounding the fretboard edges?

But get it done by a luthier, and not the friend of friend whose cousin knows a pal who knows someone who might get it done. 😉

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Do you put new tyres on your car even if it's an old cheap one, I guess, so why not refretting a bass you like and already customised when rounding the fretboard edges?

But get it done by a luthier, and not the friend of friend whose cousin knows a pal who knows someone who might get it done. 😉

Fair point. I think it would be closer to say would you spend the money repairing an engine or replace it with a different new one but I get the sentiment 🙂. I'm just wanting to know the sides as it costs roughly the same to replace the neck as to refret it. Is there any down side to refretting?

100%, would never get someone to do anything like that who didn't do it professionally. I do have my eye on one of 2 luthiers to do the work but it means travelling a fair distance or shiping the bass. I don't know of anyone local to me who does this. 

You can just ship the neck, it's all that's needed. 😉

A new neck might end up being very different from the one you have, and you might not like it.

A refretting means you keep the neck and same sensations, without all the previous issues.

Most of the time a refretting means a way lower action and no more fret(s) buzz(es), of course, depending on the luthier skills.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

You can just ship the neck, it's all that's needed. 😉

A new neck might end up being very different from the one you have, and you might not like it.

A refretting means you keep the neck and same sensations, without all the previous issues.

Most of the time a refretting means a way lower action and no more fret(s) buzz(es), of course, depending on the luthier skills.

I did think about that but wasn't sure if the luthier would be willing to work on just the neck or would be happier with the whole instrument. Again, something I've never had to do. 

These people are using the Dan Erlewine neck jig, which means a frets dressing under real tension of the neck for the exact gauge of strings (you provide).

If you change the strings gauge, the setup will change too, but it won't be as perfect as with the original strings gauge.

If you always use the exact same strings, it's a great plus to have such a refretting, but they'll need the whole instrument to perform it perfectly...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, moley6knipe said:

Does it need a full refret? I’ve only played one bass long enough to refret, and that only needed the bottom 7 doing. My local guy (Jon Haire, Peterborough, genius) charges by the fret, suspect others probably do as well.

That's a fair point. It might not. I'll need to look when I get in how bad it is further down.

On 30/11/2022 at 14:47, sirmuppet said:

Just it would cost more for a neck or refret than what I originally paid (£220 I think) which is why I'm not sure which way to go with it. 

I would rather consider its actual value (400 ? 500 ? ) ... Then the refret makes sense if you like the bass enough to play it for the next twenty years 🙂 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, chris7273 said:

I would rather consider its actual value (400 ? 500 ? ) ... Then the refret makes sense if you like the bass enough to play it for the next twenty years 🙂 

True. I do like the bass a lot even if it is the heaviest one I've ever played. It's not my go do but I do still play and at times gig it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Most bass necks can take a few fret levels before they come to need a re-fret. I've seen a Fender neck that was leveled down to the frets having very little height.

My guess is the person who did it didn't do a particularly good job. 

If I were you I'd ask @gary mac

He's a great guy and would be happy to do you a good job at a sensible rate.

Not sure where "green hill zone" is, but I guess its near Hertfordshire 😜 

Edited by Grangur
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Grangur said:

Most bass necks can take a few fret levels before they come to need a re-fret. I've seen a Fender neck that was leveled down to the frets having very little height.

My guess is the person who did it didn't do a particularly good job. 

If I were you I'd ask @gary mac

He's a great guy and would be happy to do you a good job at a sensible rate.

Not sure where "green hill zone" is, but I guess its near Hertfordshire 😜 

I'm afaird I don't know @gary mac but I'd certainly be open to discussing options and what he could do with him. I'm up in Scotland but could get the bass anywhere for it to be fixed. 

Edited by sirmuppet