Why become a member? ×

Is your taste in music quite isolating?

Barking Spiders

5 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

@BigRedXfully appreciate where you are coming from. I've admired your determination and your work (even bought a Terrortones CD) but what you have done requires a level of tenacity that I doubt many of us can muster!

Thanks for buying a CD I've been involved with. I couldn't interest you in a vinyl album by The Terrortones? I've only another 300 or so to sell... 😉 

Looking back (I'm in my 60s now) I've made some lifestyle choices that many on here would find completely unpalatable simply so I could put writing and performing music first (or at least a very good second after whatever has been my main source of income). As I implied in my first post in this thread, I'm particular about the music I want to be involved with both as a musician and as a consumer, and having had a go at being in a typical covers band, I can now say that its not for me.

• Like 1

I think my taste in music is quite inclusive and popular.  I think it may be me who is a bit isolating in the way that I tend to obsess over favourite tracks and play them repeatedly.

Mrs HH refuses to listen to my playlist for this reason (that and the fact that I sing way too loudly and badly along to them!)

My taste in music is not what one would describe as mainstream. Very few people I know like a lot of the same music as me. Rather than seeing it as isolating I've always enjoyed the experience of being in an audience with like minded people at shows. Maybe it's me talking (or typing) b0110cks but maybe there's a connection amongst that audience that couldn't exist in the audience of a band with mass appeal. 

• Like 1

I have fairly narrow tastes in music which include Abba, Chic, Freemasons, Stonebridge, The Sunburst Band, Incognito, Roykksop, Ulrich Schnauss, Planet Funk ...etc.  These bands don't define my tastes and the later stuff is definitely not notable for bass playing but they generally suit most of my emotional states in some form or another.

11 hours ago, Kiwi said:

I have fairly narrow tastes in music which include Abba, Chic, Freemasons, Stonebridge, The Sunburst Band, Incognito, Roykksop, Ulrich Schnauss, Planet Funk ...etc.  These bands don't define my tastes and the later stuff is definitely not notable for bass playing but they generally suit most of my emotional states in some form or another.

Huzzah...another who likes Ulrich Schnauss and has heard of Planet Funk and Sunburst Band. Reminds me to dig out the excellent Non Zero Sumness. I'm a big fan of Dave Lee is all his many guises; Jakatta, Joey Negro, Z Factor, Sunburst Band..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AdrianP said:

With my musical taste being primarily Peking Opera, Mongolian throat singing and My Bloody Valentine, I don't tend to be able to get many people to go to gigs with me. 

Rubbish, there are loads of people fan of the Hu!